Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2014, 09:06 AM   #1

forgets exposure compensation

At a shoot I sometimes find I need to adopt exposure compensation to keep the area of interest correctly exposed. For example I was at a circus yesterday and exposure compensation of -1 stop using a spot metering on the subject's face gave the best overall exposure.

Unfortunately the K30 seems to forget the exposure compensation when it is turned off or even when it goes into standby. I found myself taking further pictures without the desired exposure compensation.

Is there a way of keeping the exposure compensation setting when the camera goes into and out of standby?

I am using U2 exposure mode which has other things set up the way I want them for a particular shoot but exposure compensation is too transient to be incorporated into these semi-permanent settings. I just want it to remember the given exposure compensation until I deselect it.

thanks
Nigel

10-16-2014, 09:16 AM   #2

You can set the camera to save EV compensation, as well as some other functions, when it's turned off. Should be under "Memory" in the "Rec. Mode" menu.

But sadly that won't work with U1 or U2 modes, so you'd have to use a different mode for it to work.
10-16-2014, 09:45 AM   #3

Original Poster
thanks undot. What you say makes sense. I think I can remember the camera remembering exposure compensation before but, as you say, that must have been with one of the other modes.
10-16-2014, 09:50 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nigeldodd Quote
thanks undot. What you say makes sense. I think I can remember the camera remembering exposure compensation before but, as you say, that must have been with one of the other modes.
Also, while in the USER mode, if you make changes while shooting... you will need to save that setting again to ensure that the next time you turn on that USER mode, it will have your latest setting (the one you just updated).

10-20-2014, 09:03 AM   #5

Original Poster
I apologise for being lazy and not finding this out by experiment. If I use, say, the P mode (i.e. expressly not U1 or U2) and set it up with, for instance, jpg AND raw, min and max ISO, exposure compensation etc. then can I turn the camera off and on (or have it auto time-out) and retain those settings? Will it remember or will it forget?

To me these things are very important because I grew up with film and especially with a Pentax (because its ergonomics were so good) I became completely immersed in the art of the photo and the technical stuff became automatic to me. With the much greater number of controls on a digital camera I want to be sure that settings are not ephemeral.
10-20-2014, 09:22 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nigeldodd Quote
I apologise for being lazy and not finding this out by experiment. If I use, say, the P mode (i.e. expressly not U1 or U2) and set it up with, for instance, jpg AND raw, min and max ISO, exposure compensation etc. then can I turn the camera off and on (or have it auto time-out) and retain those settings? Will it remember or will it forget?

To me these things are very important because I grew up with film and especially with a Pentax (because its ergonomics were so good) I became completely immersed in the art of the photo and the technical stuff became automatic to me. With the much greater number of controls on a digital camera I want to be sure that settings are not ephemeral.
The answer is "yes" provided you've enabled retention of the various settings in the Memory menu. You'll notice Memory is greyed out if you're in one of the User modes as the concept is inconsistent with the whole idea of user modes.
10-20-2014, 10:05 AM   #7

Original Poster
You are absolutely right. Thanks. Most of the settings are set to be memorised in P and Auto in my setup.

This leads me to another area of ignorance which is about the difference between U1 and U2, P and Auto. With U1 and U2 the settings are retained when they are explicitly "saved" so if you change a setting the next time you select U1 or U2 it will not have been retained and the settings you explicitly saved will be returned to. With P and Auto, and with the camera set to memorise the settings, any changed setting is remembered when the camera is turned off and on again.

Are the settings for P and Auto remembered when you change to another mode and back again? (I guess they are)

What, really, is the difference between P and Auto? (Does Auto seek to determine whether you are shooting fast action sport, or whatever, and set the camera up accordingly - I can't believe this).

I think I would give SCN a wide berth or am I wrong here? Does it give a quick route to some useful combinations of settings that would require many more settings to be altered if done manually?

I have just now referred to the manual but I can't really see what's going on under the hood. Do P and Auto simply have different shutter speed / aperture / ISO profiles?
10-21-2014, 04:15 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I was bitten (a little) by my K-30 remembering exposure compensation. I rarely use that , and I don't remember why I was this time, but the camera remembered I'd previously dialed in a -1 and so the first half dozen pictures I took on Saturday night were underexposed. Luckily there was enough dynamic range there to pull the pictures out in post.