Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2014, 10:50 AM   #1
Forum Member

Various Issues with K-30

Forgive me if any of these issues have been covered before. I searched other threads but I just want to make sure I'm getting the right answers.

1. When using the viewfinder, the shutter will get stuck every few photos. The only way to fix this is to take off the lens and to snap a picture. It does not do this when using live view. I much prefer to use the viewfinder, so that is worrying. I have performed sensor cleaning and pixel mapping, but it still does it.

2. Images are out of focus. They look clean and crisp on the LCD screen (obviously, compressed screen size), but on my computer they are blurry. Does not matter what lens I use. See my profile for the list of lenses I have. I have tried changing the number of AF points all the way down to 1 so it will focus on exactly what I am pointing at but it still does it, even if I have plenty of lighting and am using fast shutter speeds. This happens in Raw and JPEG.

3. On the hotshoe, it looks like one of the 4 circular metal pieces is missing. I have no idea how that would have happened. The camera has not been damaged in any way.

All this started happening after I shot about 600 pictures in one day at a race. The race was fine and all shoots before the race were fine. I have updated the firmware to 1.06, but it doesn't seem to have corrected anything. Naturally, the camera is now out of warranty so I'm a bit worried that I might have a soon-to-be dud on my hands.

Help.

10-17-2014, 11:17 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aaronjamesgray Quote
3. On the hotshoe, it looks like one of the 4 circular metal pieces is missing. I have no idea how that would have happened. The camera has not been damaged in any way.
If you are talking about the hole on the left front then that is the flash lock socket, there is no metal piece there. You should have large central contact and then three others at right front, right rear and left rear. Left front is an empty hole.

2. Images are out of focus. They look clean and crisp on the LCD screen (obviously, compressed screen size), but on my computer they are blurry. Does not matter what lens I use. See my profile for the list of lenses I have. I have tried changing the number of AF points all the way down to 1 so it will focus on exactly what I am pointing at but it still does it, even if I have plenty of lighting and am using fast shutter speeds. This happens in Raw and JPEG.
Have you tried focusing with liveview and the viewfinder to compare? This will determine if the viewfinder AF matches the liveview AF. Might help diagnose the issue. Should be done on a tripod and then compare the two images.

1. When using the viewfinder, the shutter will get stuck every few photos. The only way to fix this is to take off the lens and to snap a picture. It does not do this when using live view. I much prefer to use the viewfinder, so that is worrying. I have performed sensor cleaning and pixel mapping, but it still does it.
If your shutter is getting stuck, (and are you sure it is the shutter or the mirror?), then I suspect you have a repair situation on your hands.
10-17-2014, 11:51 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Can you post a sample image with EXIF intact?
10-17-2014, 12:25 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This sounds surprisingly similar to the two issues I have experienced with my K-5 II. The shutter getting stuck (rarely, but it did happen) and then resetting (but I only needed to wait a couple of seconds or snap another picture). And - blurry photos? Try something for me - take some photos in the 2-second delay mode.

10-17-2014, 01:14 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Doh. Should have known that about the hotshoe. Sorry, dumb question.

I will try and upload a few shots this weekend.
10-17-2014, 02:52 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is a known issue effecting the K-30 where a fault in the aperture control mechanism causes symptoms similar to what you are describing. I don't know how sensor cleaning and pixel mapping might relate to this.

Are they still soft when using manual focus with magnified live view?

Steve