Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-01-2014, 01:15 PM   #16

I've tried to "grey out" the movie SR with a Tamron 70-300 lens without success. Tried most combinations. I'll assume all 4 of my Pentax lens are the same (tried the 35 and 18-55). Firmware is 1.05.

Might need a firmware update and a reset to factory settings.

03-01-2015, 06:07 AM - 1 Like   #17

I know this thread is old, but since I had the same problem and just landed here, I think it's not outdated yet.

The solution is simple: Just disable "remote control" in movie mode. Found here. Different camera, same problem & solution.
03-03-2015, 03:31 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nilsfried Quote
I know this thread is old, but since I had the same problem and just landed here, I think it's not outdated yet.

The solution is simple: Just disable "remote control" in movie mode. Found here. Different camera, same problem & solution.
That was it! Thanks!

I mostly use my Panasonic LX100 for home videos now, since it does 4K and makes great looking video, but I'll have to try the k-30 again.
03-07-2015, 01:29 PM   #19

Try resetting your camera settings to default on the K50 this is under custom settings 4 not sure where in K30 manual will tell

03-07-2015, 06:10 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
If somebody wants to send me a Pentax lens I can try it!

I understand that the system has its drawbacks, but I downloaded some sample videos with and without the SR enabled, and I don't think that it's completely without merit. I'd like to try it, anyway, and see what I think. The shaky video is annoying!
Just use Premiere or other software to stabilize. It works better than the movie SR. Or better yet physically stabilize your camera. General consensus is that movie SR is so awful that none is better.

Also did you download K-30 samples? The K-5, K-7, KX etc. are much better. Different galaxy, really.
03-08-2015, 02:57 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Also did you download K-30 samples? The K-5, K-7, KX etc. are much better. Different galaxy, really.
The old K-x has better video quality than the K-30? What's the difference? I've taken some great looking video with my K-30.

Or are you just referring to the fact that the K-x used the IS system for video? I had a K-x, and the IS was nice, but you could hear it at work in quieter settings.
03-08-2015, 03:51 PM   #22
Veteran Member

The old K-x has better video quality than the K-30? What's the difference? I've taken some great looking video with my K-30.

Or are you just referring to the fact that the K-x used the IS system for video? I had a K-x, and the IS was nice, but you could hear it at work in quieter settings.
You could actually hear it? I have a K-5, and the IS works great, and I can't hear it. Granted there IS noise, but it doesn't seem related to the IS. And even if I could hear it... couldn't care less. I can always record audio externally/with a microphone. I have tried the K-30 vs the K-5 in a shop, and what the K-30 shot looked bloody awful (the movie SR). The rest... it was a bit blocky, some artifacts... the K-5 did shoot much larger files, but they were absolutely beautiful. That's the reason I bought the K-5 over the K-30. Not sure about the K-x. I think it shot MJPEG, but at what bitrates... 40 Mbps might be comparable to the 20ish Mbps the K-30 shot. That's not saying the K-30 is bad, under the right circumstances, handled the right way (preferably on a tripod) it looks good. But the older cameras were capable of more IMHO, and more flexible. Just the lack of manual controls, and the hot pixels that appear when you shoot for some time (and the ISO is high).

03-08-2015, 07:02 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
You could actually hear it? I have a K-5, and the IS works great, and I can't hear it.
Yeah...it's a strange kind of wump wump wump noise. The harder the IS is working, the more pronounced the sound becomes in the video.
03-08-2015, 07:11 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Yeah...it's a strange kind of wump wump wump noise. The harder the IS is working, the more pronounced the sound becomes in the video.
Interesting. I have the feeling the microphone in the K-5 doesn't pick that noise up, at least I haven't noticed it. When I hold the camera in my hands, in a quiet room, I do hear something. But not on the video, at least nothing that stands out. But regardless, the microphone in the K-5 is terrible. Even by digital camera standards. It clips easily, there's always noise in the background (not related to SR, you can also hear it when the camera is on a tripod), the sound lacks bass and highs...

You can always attach a small microphone to your camera if you actually care about sound, and if not... do you care about the wump?

In contrast my smartphone has movie SR, and it looks significantly better than the movie SR that I've witnessed in the K-30. Not to say that it is any good. In the K-30 the whole image wobbles. It's stationary on top, and the lower you get the more it wobbles left and right. Then there is what I'd describe as motion blur, just that it happens with a stationary image. So suddenly the video has for example light streaks instead of a stationary light source, and the light streaks go in different directions for a few frames, then stop, come back, ... very irritating. My smartphone at least eliminates the wobbling...
03-08-2015, 11:42 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Never heard it with the K-7 either.