Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2014, 04:03 PM   #1
Pentaxian
Edgar_in_Indy's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Indiana, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,636
Cannot enable Movie SR on K-30 (grayed out)

I've been using my K-30 for my home videos lately, and a lot of the videos look pretty decent, but even when I'm being careful to hold the camera steady, it's still common for the footage to be a bit shaky. I wanted to try the "Movie SR" feature, but it is grayed out in my menu.

I've already searched the internet for a solution, but can't figure it out. Drive mode is set to single shot (not remote or timer), and I'm not using HDR or any kind of highlight or shadow corrections. The lens is a Sigma 30mm 1.4 EX, and my camera's firmware is 1.04.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

10-26-2014, 04:56 PM   #2
Pentaxian
ZombieArmy's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 815
It's doing you a favor, trust me.
10-26-2014, 05:00 PM   #3
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,415
Does it work with a Pentax lens?


Steve
10-26-2014, 05:15 PM   #4
Pentaxian
Edgar_in_Indy's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Indiana, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,636
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Does it work with a Pentax lens?
If somebody wants to send me a Pentax lens I can try it!


QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
It's doing you a favor, trust me.
I understand that the system has its drawbacks, but I downloaded some sample videos with and without the SR enabled, and I don't think that it's completely without merit. I'd like to try it, anyway, and see what I think. The shaky video is annoying!

10-26-2014, 05:36 PM   #5
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,415
QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
If somebody wants to send me a Pentax lens I can try it!
Try one of your older lenses. It may be that the camera needs a valid lens code.


Steve
10-26-2014, 05:59 PM   #6
Pentaxian
Edgar_in_Indy's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Indiana, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,636
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Try one of your older lenses. It may be that the camera needs a valid lens code.
I tried it with my Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, and it did not work either. And I don't know if it counts as a Pentax lens, but I also remembered that I had an old Takumar-F 70-200mm/f4-5.6 autofocus zoom lens in the closet, and tried it also without success. And I had an "Auto Chinon" 50mm 1.9 manual lens sitting nearby, so I also threw it on just for the heck of it. No luck.
10-26-2014, 07:27 PM   #7
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Far North Qld
Posts: 3,294
Works with any lens. I have a Sigma and a Tammy. No problems with my K-50 or K-01 (except that Movie SR is cr*p)

EDIT: BTW, I bought a used Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-F4 HSM OS (Optical Stabilisation) and it's magic for Shake Reduction when shooting vids..
10-26-2014, 08:16 PM   #8
Pentaxian
Edgar_in_Indy's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Indiana, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,636
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Works with any lens. I have a Sigma and a Tammy. No problems with my K-50 or K-01 (except that Movie SR is cr*p)

EDIT: BTW, I bought a used Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-F4 HSM OS (Optical Stabilisation) and it's magic for Shake Reduction when shooting vids..
Maybe I should sell my trusty old Tamron 28-75mm and replace it with the Sigma. The Tamron was my first after-market lens, and I love it to death, but these days I only use it in my studio, and the Sigma 17-70mm could probably take those duties over.

10-30-2014, 07:54 AM   #9
New Member




Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 5
QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
I've been using my K-30 for my home videos lately, and a lot of the videos look pretty decent, but even when I'm being careful to hold the camera steady, it's still common for the footage to be a bit shaky. I wanted to try the "Movie SR" feature, but it is grayed out in my menu.

I've already searched the internet for a solution, but can't figure it out. Drive mode is set to single shot (not remote or timer), and I'm not using HDR or any kind of highlight or shadow corrections. The lens is a Sigma 30mm 1.4 EX, and my camera's firmware is 1.04.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
In my K-30 Manual on page 271, it states: :...set the focal length in the Input Focal Length Screen"
10-30-2014, 08:30 AM   #10
Pentaxian
Edgar_in_Indy's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Indiana, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,636
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by revdoug Quote
In my K-30 Manual on page 271, it states: :...set the focal length in the Input Focal Length Screen"
Wouldn't that only be for old manual non-electronic lenses that are not recognized by the camera?
10-30-2014, 01:46 PM   #11
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,415
QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
Wouldn't that only be for old manual non-electronic lenses that are not recognized by the camera?
No, it asks for focal length for any lens lacking the data contact. In other words, any manual focus K-mount lens, including current and recent Zeiss, Voigtlander, and Samyang products. I know that is a small point and tangential to your problems, but still something to keep in mind.


Steve

---------- Post added 10-30-14 at 01:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by revdoug Quote
In my K-30 Manual on page 271, it states: :...set the focal length in the Input Focal Length Screen"
Should not affect whether the SR is available. If you don't set a value, the camera will default to the last value set. There is something else going on here.


Steve

---------- Post added 10-30-14 at 02:01 PM ----------

You don't happen to have composition adjustment activated, by any chance? (Rec/3/)


Steve
10-30-2014, 09:51 PM   #12
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Far North Qld
Posts: 3,294
Does that disable SR on the K-30, Steve? It doesn't on the K-50, I just checked mine.
10-31-2014, 05:49 AM   #13
Pentaxian
Edgar_in_Indy's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Indiana, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,636
Original Poster
No, composition adjustment is not activated. I've been through every menu item multiple times, and I can't figure this one out!
10-31-2014, 06:44 AM   #14
Moderator
Site Supporter
photolady95's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cruising PentaxForums and watching your back.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,651
I just checked mine, on my K-30. The settings say Exposure is set on P, and shake reduction is on. Of course, the lens on the camera is a Pentax, the DA 50-200mm WR ED,
10-31-2014, 10:36 AM   #15
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,415
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Does that disable SR on the K-30, Steve? It doesn't on the K-50, I just checked mine.
According to the user manuals for both the K-30 and K-50, it does. That may have been changed as an undocumented enhancement with later versions of firmware, however. I think you probably understand why it would make sense to disable if composition adjust is being used. On the K-3 it makes no difference.


Steve
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, k-30, k-50, length, lens, movie sr, pentax, pentax k30, pentax k50, pm, post, sr on k-30, steve, value, videos
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K-3 Movie-SR issue tava Pentax K-3 45 03-18-2016 07:03 AM
K-3 Shake Reduction grayed out in Movie Mode kirov Pentax K-3 4 11-09-2013 02:40 AM
k-30 Interval Movie Not an Available Option ccrookston Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 2 05-06-2013 06:57 PM
K-30 movie shutter speeds leader400 Pentax K-30 & K-50 5 04-09-2013 12:25 AM
silkypix settings grayed out ianfromtas Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 13 01-26-2011 05:28 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:22 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top