Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2014, 12:59 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-50 Focus Peaking issue with F & FA lenses

I was taking pictures at a construction site today. I brought my K-50 and some odd lenses I had laying around: A-35-105, FA-28-80, & F-80-200.

I started out with the A-35-105 for some close-ups of damage to an excavator. I turned on Live View, as Focus Peaking was perfect for taking pictures under the machine so I didn't have to get my face in there. Then I switched to the F-80-200 to get a pic of work on-going in the back corner of the property. I set the camera on a fence post, turned on Live View, and pressed OK. Focus peaking was not available. I was in AV mode. Pressing OK had no effect. Turning the dial only adjusted exposure. I switched to M mode and tried again - same result. I switched to the FA-28-80 and tested again - no Focus Peaking. I switched back to the A-35-105 and had Focus Peaking again. All three lenses were set to A. I tried AF.S and MF modes. I reset the K-50 to factory defaults and repeated this whole test. Focus Peaking is not available to me in any mode on my K-50 when I use the FA-28-80 or the F-80-200. Both of the lenses are "brand new" from a new-old-stock ZX50 kit I picked up, so I'm sure they're not damaged. Focus Peaking is always available with every lens I have ever used on my K-50 until now.

The K-50 is my "tool-box" camera. It lives in my truck and gets used for work all the time. Focus Peaking is something I use constantly when the camera is on a tripod. I mostly use M and A series manual-focus lenses with the K-50 (since I sold my DA18-135). This is the first time I have ever put an F or FA lens on it, and the first time Focus Peaking was not available to me. Its not exactly a problem for me; more of a curiosity since I generally only use the F and FA lenses for the SF1 and ZX50.

Has anyone else experienced this? Am I crazy? Has the K-50 been in the truck too long? Is there something about these early auto-focus kit lenses that I never noticed because they are so seldom used? When I get home, I will run a few tests with other F and FA lenses on the K-50 and K-3 just to see.

10-27-2014, 03:19 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
Focus Peaking is not available to me in any mode on my K-50 when I use the FA-28-80 or the F-80-200. Both of the lenses are "brand new" from a new-old-stock ZX50 kit I picked up, so I'm sure they're not damaged. Focus Peaking is always available with every lens I have ever used on my K-50 until now.

Has anyone else experienced this? Am I crazy? Has the K-50 been in the truck too long? Is there something about these early auto-focus kit lenses that I never noticed because they are so seldom used? When I get home, I will run a few tests with other F and FA lenses on the K-50 and K-3 just to see.
I just tried with my lenses and freaked out. None of them worked! Then I calmed down and remembered that after it was serviced they had set me back to factory defaults which do not include Focus Peaking. So I went to the camera menu and moved over to number 4 and down to Live View and then over and found focus peaking and enabled it.

Now my tests all worked. F100 Macro, F 80-320 zoom, F 35-135, A* 85mm, DA 18-135... all worked as expected PHEW! You mentioned resetting to factory defaults - try resetting the focus peaking ON and see if this helps. Not sure how or why it would have worked for one lens and not another based on what I think it does - but maybe the camera glitched while you swapped lenses and then resetting to factory defaults didn't do what you were expecting - or maybe you have a poltergist!

Hope that helps...
10-27-2014, 04:01 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bradshea Quote
I just tried with my lenses and freaked out. None of them worked! Then I calmed down and remembered that after it was serviced they had set me back to factory defaults which do not include Focus Peaking. So I went to the camera menu and moved over to number 4 and down to Live View and then over and found focus peaking and enabled it.

Now my tests all worked. F100 Macro, F 80-320 zoom, F 35-135, A* 85mm, DA 18-135... all worked as expected PHEW! You mentioned resetting to factory defaults - try resetting the focus peaking ON and see if this helps. Not sure how or why it would have worked for one lens and not another based on what I think it does - but maybe the camera glitched while you swapped lenses and then resetting to factory defaults didn't do what you were expecting - or maybe you have a poltergist!

Hope that helps...
After reading your response I did a reset, then a custom-settings reset, then went through each item one at a time to make sure everything got set to where I wanted it.
Focus Peaking now works with the F & FA lenses. Perhaps I switched phase-detect focusing modes or something while I was rolling around under that excavator.
This is why I bring the K-50 and old lenses for these tasks instead of my K-3 and DA Limiteds.

Thanks for the confirmation that the K-50 really does provide Focus Peaking with F and FA lenses. Still no explanation why it worked with the A-35-105 under all conditions; that lens has super powers.
10-27-2014, 07:52 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Glad I could help, my great was next to me and I had a few minutes to kill.