Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2014, 02:00 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Lightroom it is very good and advanced program, I advise her to buy if you want to have a photo permanently, it helps a lot to fix and add a photo

11-02-2014, 03:12 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
OK, to add to this on the K50 you can enable to AF/AEL button to use for back button AF. Using this method you do not have to hold the shutter at half press to maintain focus where slight pressure variance can cause the camera to refocus. By using back button focus one simply presses the AF/AEL button to obtain focus and SR, release and it locks the focus allowing for recomposing freeing the shutter to take the shot only. Also when the camera is in AF C by depressing the back button AF/AEL and holding it then the camera will change focus for movement until the button is released. It takes a little getting used to, I had it programmed on my K50 and use the back AF button exclusively on my K5 I find it a much better method overall.

Also in another thread I posted a link that explains pretty well the functions of the green button. The biggest confusing part for me on its use was wrapping my head around the Program Line and use for the dial modes..

Thanks for the much-needed information and tips for this new camera, OBR. I'm an old dog and learning all this technical lingo often seems to short-circuit my senses! I've learned, when I get frustrated and confused, to just put it aside and do something totally unrelated.... like woodworking.

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA
11-02-2014, 04:57 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
Thanks for the much-needed information and tips for this new camera, OBR. I'm an old dog and learning all this technical lingo often seems to short-circuit my senses!
Don't worry Dewman, it is everything about to get used to this new amazing little box!
In the first days is normal to use it a lot and try to set it up and discover all the features. But the more you browse the menu, the more things you find, the more you need the manual and you feel like you are going crazy!
Wait some weeks and everything will be different!
11-06-2014, 01:26 PM   #19
Veteran Member

OK, to add to this on the K50 you can enable to AF/AEL button to use for back button AF. Using this method you do not have to hold the shutter at half press to maintain focus where slight pressure variance can cause the camera to refocus. By using back button focus one simply presses the AF/AEL button to obtain focus and SR, release and it locks the focus allowing for recomposing freeing the shutter to take the shot only. Also when the camera is in AF C by depressing the back button AF/AEL and holding it then the camera will change focus for movement until the button is released. It takes a little getting used to, I had it programmed on my K50 and use the back AF button exclusively on my K5 I find it a much better method overall.

Also in another thread I posted a link that explains pretty well the functions of the green button. The biggest confusing part for me on its use was wrapping my head around the Program Line and use for the dial modes..
I was actually going to look up how to back-button focus on Pentax. thanks for this hint.

12-05-2014, 05:04 PM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
Thanks for the much-needed information and tips for this new camera, OBR. I'm an old dog and learning all this technical lingo often seems to short-circuit my senses! I've learned, when I get frustrated and confused, to just put it aside and do something totally unrelated.... like woodworking.

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA
Hello from another "Old Dog." I've had my K-50 about 3 weeks and I'm still learning the tricks and tweaks. It's a great instrument and far exceeds my capabilities. Every now and then it will do something I wasn't expecting and it will have me scratching my head until I figure it out.
12-05-2014, 05:45 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dakight Quote
Hello from another "Old Dog." I've had my K-50 about 3 weeks and I'm still learning the tricks and tweaks. It's a great instrument and far exceeds my capabilities. Every now and then it will do something I wasn't expecting and it will have me scratching my head until I figure it out.

Yep, I hear ya', dakight. But, I've grown very fond of my K-50. I picked up my older K2000 a few days ago, to give a friend of mine some over-the-phone advice about his same camera.... and it felt so "foreign"! At first, I was sorta' frustrated (As I'm wont to do on occasion! ) about some of the features I wasn't familiar with, but with a little more patience, slowly but surely, I realized just what an amazing contraption this truly is! And for the price.... I don't know what more a guy could ask for. For me, it was a giant leap in technology over the K2000. Don't get me wrong, I still love the little brother, but it's just that.... a little brother to the much "bigger" K-50!

Don't you just LOVE the brilliant color rendition of the K-50? That and the increased resolution were the two things I noticed first.

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA
12-05-2014, 08:37 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Now for another little tid bit.. You can use your button customization to change your Raw/Fx button to optical or digital preview. I prefer it set to digital. Take a look at page 115 in your manual.
12-05-2014, 10:00 PM   #23
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Now for another little tid bit.. You can use your button customization to change your Raw/Fx button to optical or digital preview. I prefer it set to digital. Take a look at page 115 in your manual.

Thanks for the tip, OBR. Another feature that I can see having merit.

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA

12-06-2014, 07:47 PM   #24
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rrstuff Quote
I think you are right. I used it more for SMC-M lenses. It seems like you might have some. I remember those only work in manual mode and you have to press the green button quite often or it won't let you a picture. It was a bit frustrating. For the manual exposure. I used it every now and then for night exposures, kind of like the attached one.

You have a lot of both lights and shadows and it might take a lot of turning the dials until you hit let's say 30 second mark and F8. Pressing a green button is much more convenient.
OMG, can you please explain how you took this photo please?

Its amazing!