Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2014, 11:05 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Auto focus question for K-50

I would like to be able to use the auto focus capability of my K-50 and when the selected subject is in focus, lock the focus point, (hopefully by holding the shutter release button half way down) then recompose the scene.... with the pre-determined focus point locked. Then, when the composition is to my liking, fully depress the shutter release button. I'm pretty sure this is possible..... right? I have tried to find the answer to my dilemma by combing through the owners manual with no luck, due to a very thick skull and an addled mind.

Thanks for helping an old man cross the street!

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA

11-01-2014, 11:10 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm pretty sure all Pentax DSLR's work this way, provided you have the focus lever set to single.
11-01-2014, 11:11 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
I would like to be able to use the auto focus capability of my K-50 and when the selected subject is in focus, lock the focus point, (hopefully by holding the shutter release button half way down) then recompose the scene.... with the pre-determined focus point locked. Then, when the composition is to my liking, fully depress the shutter release button. I'm pretty sure this is possible..... right? I have tried to find the answer to my dilemma by combing through the owners manual with no luck, due to a very thick skull and an addled mind.

Thanks for helping an old man cross the street!

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA
Put the focus lever (by the lens) to AF-S, press menu, and choose selecting focus. From there you should choose an option where the single focus point is shown. Then press and hold OK button until focal point selection takes the whole LCD screen. From there you can use arrow keys to select the point you want and hold ok to lock it.

btw Note that for fast lenses recomposing could render your original subject slightly out of focus.
11-01-2014, 11:26 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rrstuff Quote
Put the focus lever (by the lens) to AF-S, press menu, and choose selecting focus. From there you should choose an option where the single focus point is shown. Then press and hold OK button until focal point selection takes the whole LCD screen. From there you can use arrow keys to select the point you want and hold ok to lock it.

btw Note that for fast lenses recomposing could render your original subject slightly out of focus.

Thanks! That was simple enough. Now, if I could only understand what the dang green button was for! I've read the instructions to no avail. I can operate the camera relatively well, considering I've only had it for two days, but it's a lot different than my trusty K2000. A LOT different! But, all things in time.

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA

11-01-2014, 11:32 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Thanks! That was simple enough. Now, if I could only understand what the dang green button was for! I've read the instructions to no avail. I can operate the camera relatively well, considering I've only had it for two days, but it's a lot different than my trusty K2000. A LOT different! But, all things in time.

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA
Green button is useful when you use SMC-M lenses. You have to enable the option to allow manual lenses (I forgot where is that, RiceHigh had a tutorial) and then you have to press a green button before exposure. With other lenses, it's just for a manual mode, so you don't have to guess settings and watch the light meter - just press the green button and go from there. It's convenient.
11-01-2014, 11:55 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Green button is useful when you use SMC-M lenses. You have to enable the option to allow manual lenses (I forgot where is that, RiceHigh had a tutorial) and then you have to press a green button before exposure. With other lenses, it's just for a manual mode, so you don't have to guess settings and watch the light meter - just press the green button and go from there. It's convenient.

So.... it's kinda' like if you get in a bind and don't really have time to figure out the shutter speed and aperture you want, but still want to be sure you get SOMETHING, you can push the green button and click the shutter? Do I understand this correctly? I'm sorry if I seem so ignorant. I'm NOT stupid, really.... I'm not..... it's just that when it comes to some things, I need to be taken by the hand and led down the path in the right direction. Thanks for your patience.

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA
11-02-2014, 12:03 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I think you are right. I used it more for SMC-M lenses. It seems like you might have some. I remember those only work in manual mode and you have to press the green button quite often or it won't let you a picture. It was a bit frustrating. For the manual exposure. I used it every now and then for night exposures, kind of like the attached one.

You have a lot of both lights and shadows and it might take a lot of turning the dials until you hit let's say 30 second mark and F8. Pressing a green button is much more convenient.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
11-02-2014, 12:21 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I think you are right. I used it more for SMC-M lenses. It seems like you might have some. I remember those only work in manual mode and you have to press the green button quite often or it won't let you a picture. It was a bit frustrating. For the manual exposure. I used it every now and then for night exposures, kind of like the attached one.

You have a lot of both lights and shadows and it might take a lot of turning the dials until you hit let's say 30 second mark and F8. Pressing a green button is much more convenient.

Ah yes! The light bulb above my head just came on! I now understand the dual wheels, M, Av, Tv and the use of the green button! Very cool! I think I'm trying to make this more confusing that it has to be. I'm so locked into my K2000.... it's like I'm too close to the trees to see the forest! Having cut my teeth on film cameras and totally manual operation, I feel very comfortable with the M setting.... actually prefer it most of the time. And yes, you are right.... I have quite a few manual lenses. I like the EV (+/-) button on my K2000 when in the M mode and now, I understand how to accomplish the same thing with my K-50. Many thanks. Now, if the weather will cooperate tomorrow, maybe I can put some of this new-found knowledge to use. It's been raining very heavy most of the day.... too heavy to venture out for long.

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA

11-02-2014, 12:24 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Ah yes! The light bulb above my head just came on! I now understand the dual wheels, M, Av, Tv and the use of the green button! Very cool! I think I'm trying to make this more confusing that it has to be. I'm so locked into my K2000.... it's like I'm too close to the trees to see the forest! Having cut my teeth on film cameras and totally manual operation, I feel very comfortable with the M setting.... actually prefer it most of the time. And yes, you are right.... I have quite a few manual lenses. I like the EV (+/-) button on my K2000 when in the M mode and now, I understand how to accomplish the same thing with my K-50. Many thanks. Now, if the weather will cooperate tomorrow, maybe I can put some of this new-found knowledge to use. It's been raining very heavy most of the day.... too heavy to venture out for long.

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA
You will love the K-50. Imager in that camera is superb. You can burn and dodge 5 stops, pictures are sharp. It will be fun. good luck!
11-02-2014, 12:38 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
You will love the K-50. Imager in that camera is superb. You can burn and dodge 5 stops, pictures are sharp. It will be fun. good luck!

Hmmm.... "burn and dodge,".... I understand the term, especially in relation to the old darkroom days, but do you mean that it's possible to do that "in-camera"? Say it ain't so! I've noticed that not only are the images much sharper with the K-50 over the K2000 but the colors are much more vibrant. MUCH more so! Dazzling, in fact! I'm blown away at the improvement. I used to think my K2000 was the cat's pajamas. It was my first DSLR, ever, and I had nothing else to compare it to other than a nice little P&S Olympus I have.

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA
11-02-2014, 12:44 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Hmmm.... "burn and dodge,".... I understand the term, especially in relation to the old darkroom days, but do you mean that it's possible to do that "in-camera"? Say it ain't so! I've noticed that not only are the images much sharper with the K-50 over the K2000 but the colors are much more vibrant. MUCH more so! Dazzling, in fact! I'm blown away at the improvement. I used to think my K2000 was the cat's pajamas. It was my first DSLR, ever, and I had nothing else to compare it to other than a nice little P&S Olympus I have.

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA
No, I mean in photoshop and lightroom. I also like Capture One for editing raw files. It allows you to make lots of local adjustments beyond doge and burn. For example, one can edit the saturation of each color separately. Also the quality from RAW can be better than in camera JPG, but it takes ages to go through all the shots. Not sure if it is worth the hassle, unless it's for a special shot.
11-02-2014, 01:02 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
No, I mean in photoshop and lightroom. I also like Capture One for editing raw files. It allows you to make lots of local adjustments beyond doge and burn. For example, one can edit the saturation of each color separately. Also the quality from RAW can be better than in camera JPG, but it takes ages to go through all the shots. Not sure if it is worth the hassle, unless it's for a special shot.

Got'cha. I have an older version of Photoshop, but haven't figured out how to dodge and burn yet. Also have PSP and the Olympus Viewer II program that came with the Olympus P&S camera. I prefer the Olympus editing program to any and all others I've tried. It cannot dodge and burn, or "clone stamp," but as far as just about every thing else, it works beautifully.... even process RAW files. It's extremely user-friendly too. My K-50 came with a program called Silkypix, but I haven't downloaded it yet to see what it can do.

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA
11-02-2014, 02:59 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Got'cha. I have an older version of Photoshop, but haven't figured out how to dodge and burn yet. Also have PSP and the Olympus Viewer II program that came with the Olympus P&S camera. I prefer the Olympus editing program to any and all others I've tried. It cannot dodge and burn, or "clone stamp," but as far as just about every thing else, it works beautifully.... even process RAW files. It's extremely user-friendly too. My K-50 came with a program called Silkypix, but I haven't downloaded it yet to see what it can do.

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA
In my opinion, Silkypix is very good, very similar to Lightroom, that is the application that I use.
The biggest difference between them is that with Lightroom you can organize your library in a great way and find everything you want very quickly.
Another important thing is that you can customise everything, from the auto-import to the creation of some exporting profiles. For example, I have set an exporting profile just for Pentax Forums, downsizing pictures to max 1200 pixel on the longer side, so when I want to post a picture here I just right click on it and choose export->pentaxforums.com and it automatically export the picture with the right setting in a specific folder, different in every profile. In this way, I can export the same pic with, for example, 3 different resolutions in 3 different folders for 3 different destinations. Very easy and very fast!
11-02-2014, 06:11 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

OK, to add to this on the K50 you can enable to AF/AEL button to use for back button AF. Using this method you do not have to hold the shutter at half press to maintain focus where slight pressure variance can cause the camera to refocus. By using back button focus one simply presses the AF/AEL button to obtain focus and SR, release and it locks the focus allowing for recomposing freeing the shutter to take the shot only. Also when the camera is in AF C by depressing the back button AF/AEL and holding it then the camera will change focus for movement until the button is released. It takes a little getting used to, I had it programmed on my K50 and use the back AF button exclusively on my K5 I find it a much better method overall.

Also in another thread I posted a link that explains pretty well the functions of the green button. The biggest confusing part for me on its use was wrapping my head around the Program Line and use for the dial modes..
11-02-2014, 06:25 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You can try Lightroom for a month for free. I love it.