Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2014, 11:29 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mikshyle Quote
I had the shutter speed set at 1/500 but at some point it ended up at 1/200 in the end half of my pics didnt realize it changed. Would those things made much of difference in the quality of the pics? If I had, say the 55-300 and was able zoom in closer with out having to crop like I did the pics that I took, would that have given me any more clarity at all?
While significantly cropping an telephoto image will make a difference vs. an uncropped image, the degree of difference in sharpness (BTW clarity is the wrong term semantically in photography as it means something else regarding post processing) will be minor compared with using a faster shutter speed to capture the source image.

While I mentioned earlier that 1/350-1/500 should work, I prefer 1/1000-1/2000 depending on the sport--these are mostly daylight numbers however. The age of the participants also matters: the older the players, the faster the action. On some soccer headers where you want a sharp capture of the ball's impact on the player's head and the simultaneous reactions of their adjoining opponents, you are aiming for eyebrow and facial detail--and 1/3000 may be what it takes. For lacrosse, the same applies if freezing the ball in motion is the objective (and it is one of the key elements of a good lacrosse shot).

M

11-10-2014, 12:24 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Of course, it varies a lot with situation. I shoot quite a bit of mens college basketball from the stands. I tolerate a bit of blur to convey action, and feel comfortable with 1/800. Obviously, faster is better if you have the light for it. For the pros, you probably want an additional 2/3rds of a stop (and typically get that much more supplied light in the arena). Overall, I think high schools are typically tougher shoots. The kids still are moving pretty fast, but the lights tend to be a lot dimmer (with odder shadows).
11-10-2014, 02:09 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Exactly. The angle of the lights doesn't need to be anywhere near direct.

A hood frees you from the risk of flare, and really has no down-side.

Flare robs your lens of contrast, which can impact image quality and also make AF less effective, since AF relies on contrast too. Flare is also a big pain to try and clean up in post-processing.

For night time sports shooting, your camera needs all the help it can get, and using a hood is just about the simplest thing you can do. A hood can also, of course, help keep dust and crud and finger-prints away from your front element. Another bonus.
One more benefit of a lens hood... it acts a good protector of the front element from accidental bumping, scratching, etc. when the cap is off.
11-10-2014, 03:15 PM   #34
Veteran Member

I haven't done this too much but I was able to get away with some shots high ISO (8000)and significantly lower shutter speed than I like (1/250) at f4.
Sigma 70-200OS on K-3

11-10-2014, 08:32 PM   #35
Forum Member

Original Poster
There are some great pics there, I miss my boys being that age ! They are so tiny.....
11-14-2014, 09:48 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter

I shot a season of football pictures of my boys and their teammates this year. In May this year I got the K-50 bundled with the 18-55 and 50-200 4-5.6. I use the long lens for all these shots. My youngest plays daytime, so no problem getting shots at his games. The other two play varsity and warm-up starts at dusk and it is usually dark by coin toss. For the night games I use time priority set at 1/250 and auto ISO range 1600 - 25600. The auto ISO is never under 6400 and typically over 10k. I take pictures the entire game and don't try to get anyone in particular in the shot, just follow the action. I usually take around 200 to 300 shots each game and am surprised at the number of keepers. Most are discarded because they are a continuation of action. Of course they aren't all print quality, but good enough for everyone to enjoy.

I just recently found that this lens was front focusing a tad. I made the adjustment tonight. Looking forward to tomorrows first playoff game of pictures with the focus better tuned.

I do look forward to a faster long lens when I can afford it. I have been happy with the set-up though and never imagined I would get the shots I've gotten of this season's games.

Below are a few from a couple weeks ago and also a link to the collection of this season's albums if you would like to peruse. The pitch and catch are from the same play.

collection: https://www.flickr.com/photos/124439334@N08/collections/72157646590549660/

I GOT FRAMED

THE PITCH

THE CATCH

THE KICK
11-16-2014, 02:41 AM   #37
Site Supporter

I fear this thread has shifted from football to some strange game involving 1980's shoulder-pad clothing and motorcycle helmets! I'm confused!