Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
11-06-2014, 10:15 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Jammer Cristo! (Dis toe nie Piet nie!)
Geen probleem nie Mark No problem, funny how many people don't notice my name in posts

11-06-2014, 10:17 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
+1, It might just be a bad batch, this is the first camera that I bought relatively soon after release, the others were near to the end of their cycle.

I knew I was taking a risk in doing that, but the fact that after a major repair (took 3 months, they probably had a pigeon fly the parts from Japan to South Africa or something...), it didn't take long to act up again, and that is the frustrating part.

I'm a hobbyist, but still do some school events for free, and need reliability....I had a yearly prize giving ceremony the other day, where you have to take a shot every +- 20 sec at just the right time, about 200 kids, no second chance...due to this some kids were a bit disappointed not getting a pic from me, luckily I had my K-5iis with me, but there were no time to change the flash from one to the other, but at least I could rescue some of the shots.

The frustrating part is disappointing these high school kids, when I've been shooting all there sport and other activities for a few years now, and this was probably the last time, as my youngest is finishing school this year....
The worst is when they don't pause on stage and just keep walking, making getting a good shot very difficult.

---------- Post added 11-07-14 at 06:20 PM ----------

Geen probleem nie Mark No problem, funny how many people don't notice my name in posts
It must be the orange!

---------- Post added 11-07-14 at 06:58 PM ----------

Baie beter! (Much better)
11-07-2014, 04:19 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Whatever happens, you might want to hold on to the 55-300 anyway, since it's so small and convenient!
That's for sure. I'm going to Hawaii for Christmas, and I can get three lenses into a LowePro 100 AW, with a CPL and charger in the front pocket, and still meet the carry on size limits.

DA 12-24/4
DA* 16-50/2.8
DA 55-300/5.8 (at the long end)
Charger
"Moose" Circular Polarizer, 77mm for the DA* 16-50.
11-13-2014, 08:35 AM - 1 Like   #19

I had the same exposure problem with my K-30 about a year ago, I sent it for repair within warranty and it's still working like a charm!. I have read that issue was common with the K-30.

I know it's bad when cameras fail

11-14-2014, 01:01 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

my K-30, after about another 5000 clicks, started acting up again.
Send it back. The fix did not work.

Steve
11-14-2014, 10:37 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Send it back. The fix did not work.

Steve
Steve, the previous time it took 3 months, since then our Postal Services have been on strike for 5 months, and courier costs are going through the roof, the shop I bought it from went bust, it's not worth all the trouble....I think my K-30 was doomed from the start...
11-15-2014, 10:04 AM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I think my K-30 was doomed from the start...
Sorry about that

Steve

11-15-2014, 03:32 PM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Steve, the previous time it took 3 months, since then our Postal Services have been on strike for 5 months, and courier costs are going through the roof, the shop I bought it from went bust, it's not worth all the trouble....I think my K-30 was doomed from the start...
...so you need to buy a backup to your K-5ii!
12-01-2014, 09:57 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I know how you feel.
I bought a K5II and It did a couple wierd mirror slaps and locked up within 1 hr of getting it ! I sent it back and it was repaired/updated firmware. Then it did it again within 24hrs of recieving it back the 2nd time. I ditched it and my friend that bought it never had a problem at all.
I Bought a K30 the very first day the K5II malfunctioned and never looked back.
Personally I would drop it , ditch it , whatever , and be done with it once and for all.
I will never own a K5II again because of my personal experience with my first Pentax DSLR even though I know they are great cameras ! Sounds like the K30 has left a bad taste for you ?
Good luck on hoping it will die with "not so nice" treatment ? I treat mine terrible and it just keeps going.....lol.
It might need some help dying ?

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 12-01-2014 at 10:03 AM.
12-02-2014, 01:43 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by az1895 Quote
I know how you feel.
I bought a K5II and It did a couple wierd mirror slaps and locked up within 1 hr of getting it ! I sent it back and it was repaired/updated firmware. Then it did it again within 24hrs of recieving it back the 2nd time. I ditched it and my friend that bought it never had a problem at all.
I Bought a K30 the very first day the K5II malfunctioned and never looked back.
Personally I would drop it , ditch it , whatever , and be done with it once and for all.
I will never own a K5II again because of my personal experience with my first Pentax DSLR even though I know they are great cameras ! Sounds like the K30 has left a bad taste for you ?
Good luck on hoping it will die with "not so nice" treatment ? I treat mine terrible and it just keeps going.....lol.
It might need some help dying ?
I got a K-5iis while the K-30 was in for repair, so far so good...

I use the K-30 only in LV with my manual lenses at the moment, and the exposure doesn't seem to bad, but the moment I use OVF, exposure randomly differs by up to 4 stops sometimes, utterly useless.... but as they say Que sera sera...
12-02-2014, 08:00 AM   #26
Veteran Member

My K30 does that with a couple of M42 Takumar lenses ?
It was either aluminum foil on the contacts , or not using two particular Tak's.
Either way I got a K3 on the delivery truck as we post.