Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2014, 09:12 AM   #1
Forum Member

K 50 mirror lock up

While browsing the Pentax DSLR comparison section of the site I noticed under K50 it indicates that it has a mirror lock up mode. I have yet to find that in the manual or going through the on camera menus. The workaround I found is to switch to live view to flip the mirror up and then set the self timer for 2 seconds. Has the same effect I guess but just wondering if there is a true mirror lock up function on the K50?

11-09-2014, 09:23 AM   #2
Site Supporter

No, I'm fairly certain it doesn't (the K-30 doesn't). But as you have already discovered, using 2 or 10 second delay will in effect give you mirror lock-up. You don't have to be in live view to get this - the camera lifts the mirror right away when the shutter button is pressed.
11-09-2014, 09:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yes, you can use just the live view + 2 seconds timer, as stated here too.
11-09-2014, 12:00 PM - 1 Like   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bryce K Quote
While browsing the Pentax DSLR comparison section of the site I noticed under K50 it indicates that it has a mirror lock up mode. I have yet to find that in the manual or going through the on camera menus. The workaround I found is to switch to live view to flip the mirror up and then set the self timer for 2 seconds. Has the same effect I guess but just wondering if there is a true mirror lock up function on the K50?
You don't even need live view- the 2s timer will always lock the mirror up first.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-10-2014, 07:22 AM   #5

The 10 second delay doesn't lock-up the mirror. It simply delays the mirror going up for 10 seconds after you press the shutter release button. The shutter action occurs immediately after the mirror swings out of the way. There is no delay between the two actions. On the other hand, the 2 second delay moves the mirror out of the way and then the shutter activation occurs 2 seconds later.

You can follow the sequence of actions with the 2 second delay by raising the flash and then pressing the shutter release. The mirror swings up, the pre-flash occurs and two seconds later you get the main flash along with the shutter action. With the 10 second delay, after 10 seconds you'll hear the shutter actuation and see only one flash because the pre-flash and main flash sequence are so close together that you only see them as a single flash.
11-10-2014, 01:57 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Is Bulb exposure mode useful for whatever it is you are trying to do?