Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2014, 04:27 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
noise during movie mode

First off - this is my first post, so hello!

So I have owned a K30 for over a year now, and when I shot any video there would always be this constant noise that seemed to come from the flash box - perhaps the mirror being held up - which was of course picked up in the audio track.

Now this isn't the focusing noise, I realize that screw drive motors are not silent... it is a constant, mechanical noise.

I sent it in to Pentax Arizona, but all they did was update the firmware. This helped - now the noise is only occasionally, especially during extended shooting periods.

Anyone have the same problem, or any thoughts about this? Perhaps if it is a problem with the mirror holding up, a fully charged battery will help? I should check that.

Thanks!

11-10-2014, 04:30 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

What you hear is the SR system keeping the sensor locked in place. You can't get rid of it, and it's perfectly normal.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-10-2014, 04:43 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You could sidestep the issue by recording audio with a dedicated device (who knows, maybe you already have a Zoom or a Tascam lying in your house... hotshoe adapter and voilą!) and then auto-sync the audio to the video in PP...
11-10-2014, 07:01 PM   #4
Imp
Pentaxian

Original Poster
- As for the SR, I always keep it off to reduce the "wobbles". And it doesn't always make that noise, only sometimes.

- Yes, I am moving towards external recording with a Tascam. =)

11-10-2014, 11:46 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
What you hear is the SR system keeping the sensor locked in place. You can't get rid of it, and it's perfectly normal.
You're kidding there right, Adam?
SR system makes a noise when NOT in use yet they disable mechanical SR for video because it makes a noise. Come on, let's have some consistency here.

Anyhow, my K-50 makes no noise at all with SR off and barely anything audible when enabled.
11-10-2014, 11:58 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
You're kidding there right, Adam?
SR system makes a noise when NOT in use yet they disable mechanical SR for video because it makes a noise. Come on, let's have some consistency here.

Anyhow, my K-50 makes no noise at all with SR off and barely anything audible when enabled.
No, I'm not kidding. The noise on the digital SR bodies is barely audible compared to what we had to deal with from the K-5, but it's there if you put your ear close to the LCD (I just double-checked to make sure)

I did miss the OP's point about it being audible in video files though- this should not be the case with the K-50. Perhaps the OP is having codec issues?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-11-2014, 06:37 AM   #7
Imp
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Here is an example footage from my K30

11-11-2014, 12:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I can't hear any funny noises on my K-30 videos as long as I don't use AF.

Last edited by SteveB; 11-16-2014 at 12:58 AM.
11-11-2014, 04:30 PM   #9
Imp
Pentaxian

Original Poster
weird. I guess its just a problem with mine? Not terribly important, as I am recording audio off-camera, but I would still like it to work. =)
11-11-2014, 10:35 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
No, I'm not kidding. The noise on the digital SR bodies is barely audible compared to what we had to deal with from the K-5, but it's there if you put your ear close to the LCD (I just double-checked to make sure)
The K-01 does have a slight 'fizzing' sound when SR is either on or off, but nothing is picked up in the audio track in video.
There is nothing to be heard with the K-50, Q or even the MX-1 when SR is off or on.
My K-7 was also quiet, aside for the 1 second 'clicks' in the audio on playback [in some players] that is.
Maybe just a K-30 quirk?
11-14-2014, 10:21 AM   #11

Photos: Gallery
It's very silent to hear, picked up in the audio track Yes.
11-14-2014, 01:04 PM   #12
Site Supporter

The SR system may be turned off while shooting video, but the suspension of the sensor by that system continues.

Steve