Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2014, 08:35 PM   #1
Forum Member

Greentoe.com ??

Is anyone familiar with this website, I just came across it. Its seems to be like a priceline type of site. You name what you want to pay for camera equipment and see if you bid is accepted??

11-11-2014, 02:35 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I'm not, but it seems legit judging by the comments on dpreview...
Maybe you could run the risk to purchase gray market items, if that's a concern for you...
11-11-2014, 06:47 PM   #3
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If the price is really low it is usually fake. Search "is Greentoe.com a scam?" and you should get some results
11-11-2014, 10:23 PM   #4

Not a fake, I have used it.

I was a little worried buying anything from Greentoe. I thought it was a fake. I ended up reading around both the internet and their site. They say they sell actual products. Long story short, I bought a pentax 645z from them as well as two lenses. I got the 645z for 7,800 as opposed to 8500 and the lenses for a couple hundred dollars off. They were all new products, and they are through some of the major camera companies, they just do some negotiating with the companies first.

I would say that if you are considering buying something new, go through them. If they accept your offer, you are getting what you think you are getting. They don't accept every offer. Start with about 20% and then lower it if you need. Everything I have bought has been at least 10%. Also, no sales tax which is a big deal on a huge purchase in california.

Hope that helps,

Logan

11-11-2014, 10:56 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by loganhavens Quote
I was a little worried buying anything from Greentoe. I thought it was a fake. I ended up reading around both the internet and their site. They say they sell actual products. Long story short, I bought a pentax 645z from them as well as two lenses. I got the 645z for 7,800 as opposed to 8500 and the lenses for a couple hundred dollars off. They were all new products, and they are through some of the major camera companies, they just do some negotiating with the companies first.

I would say that if you are considering buying something new, go through them. If they accept your offer, you are getting what you think you are getting. They don't accept every offer. Start with about 20% and then lower it if you need. Everything I have bought has been at least 10%. Also, no sales tax which is a big deal on a huge purchase in california.

Hope that helps,

Logan
And no warranty, right? Those sound like grey market imports.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-12-2014, 08:15 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
And no warranty, right? Those sound like grey market imports.
I never said there were no warranties. I also know what grey market is, and I did not say it was grey market. The camera I purchased was ordered through one of the major camera companies with a box, warranty card, and even a pentax logo on my camera. It's a normal camera.

Greentoe doesn't stock any gear or equipment. They work as a mediator between people and a few of the major camera retailers. After my offer was accepted, I received an email from one of the largest camera stores in the country confirming that I wanted the camera. I am sure the camera retailers are wanting more options to sell equipment, and I'm sure greentoe gets some sort of commission off of whatever they are able to bring in.
11-12-2014, 08:39 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by loganhavens Quote
Greentoe doesn't stock any gear or equipment. They work as a mediator between people and a few of the major camera retailers. After my offer was accepted, I received an email from one of the largest camera stores in the country confirming that I wanted the camera. I am sure the camera retailers are wanting more options to sell equipment, and I'm sure greentoe gets some sort of commission off of whatever they are able to bring in.
Interesting!

But if (in the US) those retailers sell to you below MAP (the minimum price set by Ricoh Imaging), not only are they in violation of the manufacturer's terms, but the item is technically becomes grey market. For Pentax warranty service, you always need to show the original receipt. With that said, if the store that sold it to you was indeed an authorized dealer and the receipt looks legit, the warranty will most likely be honored

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-12-2014, 11:15 AM   #8

I'm not sure how it works. I'm a photographer and consumer, not their lawyers or accountants Whatever they are doing, I would say it is somehow working: I have my camera, it is registered through Ricoh, and I paid less.

---------- Post added 11-12-14 at 11:18 AM ----------

Oh, and I would say who the retailer was, however they requested I not share that. I think it's part of the agreements they made with the retailer. I don't think the distributor wants everybody to know they are selling the same products through an external website at a cheaper price.

11-12-2014, 07:58 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback!
11-13-2014, 12:17 AM   #10

Hey, no problem. I joined because during my first purchase I felt like I was taking a huge plunge because of the lack of information. I wish somebody could have told me not to worry. Now I buy from them whenever I need any new products. Best of luck!