Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-11-2014, 05:30 PM   #1

K50, M42 lens and Green Button

I know this has been discussed, perhaps to death, but I'm curious if there was ever a resolution for getting a non-conductive M42 lens to work properly in "M" mode on a K50.

The upshot is the camera won't set the shutter speed when pushing the green button, unless there is piece of aluminum foil under the lens, shorting out the contacts on the body.

I would really rather not scrape the paint off of the lens. The foil wasn't that big of a deal, but makes it a hassle to swap lenses.

Love the camera. Love the lens. Hate the hassle.

Any tricks I'm unaware of? I've set the green button appropriately and it works fine when "foiled".

11-11-2014, 06:05 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is the information on this page consistent with what you're doing? See Using Older Lenses on the PENTAX K-50 | Ricoh Imaging Support

---------- Post added 11-12-14 at 02:11 PM ----------

And, have you read Adam's post on the topic?
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-me...k-x-k-7-a.html
11-11-2014, 06:12 PM   #3

Original Poster
Yes, those are the instructions I followed.

It seems the body pins must be shorted out to enable metering in "M" mode. Live view works fine. Viewfinder does not.
11-11-2014, 06:15 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpeedGeezerButler Quote
Yes, those are the instructions I followed.

It seems the body pins must be shorted out to enable metering in "M" mode. Live view works fine. Viewfinder does not.
Yes, I have heard of the shorting issue. I'm not aware of any other workaround.

11-11-2014, 06:18 PM   #5
Pentaxian

What lens are we talking about? I just use Av mode myself, but for other reasons need to short contacts on some m42 lenses. I use foil or copper tape on the lens mount. More friction when mounting, but works...
11-11-2014, 06:20 PM   #6

You can buy metallic tape at auto parts shops.
11-11-2014, 06:50 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
make it easy on yourself, M mode, manual focus, hand held meter, set ISO, aperture and shutter manually, works good for me

11-11-2014, 07:12 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

It seems the body pins must be shorted out to enable metering in "M" mode.
Av mode with M42 lenses for the K-50/K-30. The FAQ at Pentax Imaging is incorrect.

Steve
11-11-2014, 07:19 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Av mode with M42 lenses for the K-50/K-30. The FAQ at Pentax Imaging is incorrect.

Steve
Yes AV mode works fine, but I'd rather have control of the shutter speed and not have it changing.

I guess the metal tape option is something to try.
11-11-2014, 09:26 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Yes AV mode works fine, but I'd rather have control of the shutter speed and not have it changing.

I guess the metal tape option is something to try.
Yes, the metal tape or sanding down the lens base or using an external meter. BTW, I believe you only need to short the data pin.

Steve
11-11-2014, 09:32 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Can you use conductive paint?
11-12-2014, 12:48 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
its a pain for me as well since I love my M42 lenses and i prefer manual mode too. if its a "controlled environment", i set it to AV mode, i get a reading, then dial those settings in M mode. if light changes slightly by +1 or -1 EV, thats not really a big deal if you shoot in raw. but it would be nice to get the green button to work properly. or get a k-3 instead
11-12-2014, 12:32 PM - 1 Like   #13

Original Poster
Ah, so this problem has not been resolved and it's AV mode, metal tape/lens sanding or external light meter.

I did try just putting the foil on just the pin at 6 o'clock and the metering works fine in "M" mode.

Thanks everyone for your input; I appreciate it.

The lens in this case is a Cosinon 50mm, f/1.8. I thought I sold it years ago, but there it was in the garage. Turns out it takes beautiful, sharp images. Never thought I would use it again.
11-12-2014, 05:16 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ah, so this problem has not been resolved and it's AV mode, metal tape/lens sanding or external light meter.

I did try just putting the foil on just the pin at 6 o'clock and the metering works fine in "M" mode.

The lens in this case is a Cosinon 50mm, f/1.8. I thought I sold it years ago, but there it was in the garage. Turns out it takes beautiful, sharp images. Never thought I would use it again.
What a nice find!
12-07-2014, 03:54 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Where exactly does the foil tape go?

Could you post a picture showing exactly where the foil should go? I'd like to try the same thing.