Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2014, 11:08 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Huffing and puffing air through the K-30

I was mindlessly playing with my K-30 which had the SD card door open and DA 18-135mm lens mounted on it. Zooming in and out creates a pretty good gust of wind coming out of the empty SD slot. After feeling three puffs of wind going through that slot it dawned on me that this activity was not healthy for my camera. I stopped. Now I think of how much dust must be on sensor.

I suppose if you're in a life or death situation and need a miniature bellows to stoke a fire then the K-30 would be a good fit for it.

11-11-2014, 11:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Note that a dust particle is much bigger than the molecules of air. The air has to go somewhere when the pressure changes and will find ways, but that doesn't say that dust can travel the same way through the camera.
11-11-2014, 11:20 PM   #3
Pentaxian

If some huffing-and-puffing didn't happen, you wouldn't be able to use a weather sealed zoom like the 18-135 on a weather sealed camera like the K-30. Think of what happens when you put your finger over the top of a bicycle pump ...

It's something to be aware of when in wet or dusty environments. But it won't happen with a WR prime. Or sealed internal-zooming zoom. Or an un-sealed lens.
11-12-2014, 01:13 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I was mindlessly playing with my K-30 which had the SD card door open and DA 18-135mm lens mounted on it. Zooming in and out creates a pretty good gust of wind coming out of the empty SD slot. After feeling three puffs of wind going through that slot it dawned on me that this activity was not healthy for my camera. I stopped. Now I think of how much dust must be on sensor.

I suppose if you're in a life or death situation and need a miniature bellows to stoke a fire then the K-30 would be a good fit for it.
The problem is that you allowed pumping and puffing when you let you card door open. If the door would be closed, the air circulation would be different, if any ...

11-12-2014, 01:26 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cport Quote
The problem is that you allowed pumping and puffing when you let you card door open. If the door would be closed, the air circulation would be different, if any ...
There would be air circulation or zooming would be practically impossible.
11-12-2014, 01:43 AM   #6

... different ...
11-12-2014, 10:18 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
... different ...
Haha! I know, I was feeling a little silly and having some fun with the post.

Yes, I understand the physics of what is going on when I was speed zooming the lens. It was just a little unexpected because my mind was wandering at the time. A post felt necessary!

Now, in all seriousness, I wonder just how WR is the camera with everything all closed up. Water has a bad habit of getting into everything and anything. It has to at least air in and out. Does the air come in through a semi-sealed part of the lens? Would that be the first point of ingression? How tight are the rubber gaskets?
11-14-2014, 01:30 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I certainly had more confidence in the K20D WR sealing and gaskets than I do with the K-30 - marketing materials notwithstanding. Of course, there is no claim of waterproofness.

The K-30 seems to draw in more dust than most of my previous cameras. The K-01 certainly is better in this regard.

The thread is helpful in that I might be more careful about zooming more slowly. WR lenses probably keep dust out, but its likely that non-WR zooms can draw dust in. I have a Samsung compact that is living proof of that.

11-15-2014, 09:05 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
I certainly had more confidence in the K20D WR sealing and gaskets than I do with the K-30 - marketing materials notwithstanding. Of course, there is no claim of waterproofness.

The K-30 seems to draw in more dust than most of my previous cameras. The K-01 certainly is better in this regard.

The thread is helpful in that I might be more careful about zooming more slowly. WR lenses probably keep dust out, but its likely that non-WR zooms can draw dust in. I have a Samsung compact that is living proof of that.
I had horrific problems with my K30, when I sent it in they said there was dust behind the sensor and refused warranty. I traded it in for a K50 and bougth the 18-135WR lens and have no problems since, wether it's because I don't have to change so often, or the lens is now sealed, or the K30 was just junk I don't know.

Tuggie76

Last edited by tuggie76; 11-15-2014 at 10:22 AM.
11-15-2014, 10:03 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If the door would be closed, the air circulation would be different, if any ...
... different ...
As in a sort of camera-generated fart...

Perhaps Pentax could add a harmonica?

Steve