Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2014, 01:17 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
k50 purchase help.

Can someone please help me I'm looking to buy a new it's a gift K50 bundle, looks like adorama has the better deals but I can figure out which bundle is the best. They have three that are all the same price but 1. comes with a $50 gift card Pentax K50 DSLR Camera,18-55/50-200 WR Lenses,Blk, Bundle w/$50 Gift Certificate 10905 A , 2. come with bag and memory card Pentax K-50 Digial SLR Camera Black,W/ 18-55 WR & 50-200 WR Lenses W/Acc Bundle 10905 C, 3. Just a bundle Pentax K-50 Digial SLR Camera - Black, with DA L 18-55 WR & 50-200 WR Lenses 10905 I should add they all come with the Pentax AF-200FG Flash. But am i missing something?

11-12-2014, 01:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would definitely take this one, it is a very complete starter kit!

Oh, please before to buy it, read here, it is important to support PentaxForums!
11-12-2014, 06:01 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Actually, I would recommend this one, since life is short and black cameras are booooring.
11-12-2014, 06:15 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Door # 2?

Hello focusr3, welcome to the Forum!
For a person starting out, I'd take # 2, with the bag, card, etc. That's all stuff you need anyway and it's the same price. This is a good all-around kit with both the long and short zooms covering nearly all the usual focal lengths.
Before you put your credit card away, add a Giottos Blower brush (sensor cleaner) and a 52mm circular polarizer (I believe both lenses use a 52mm filter), microfiber cleaning cloth and perhaps a softbox diffuser for the flash.
Just some ideas for you, good luck!
Ron

11-12-2014, 07:43 PM   #5

I'd go with #1 myself. That's because you can get a nicer bag (or at least more choices of bags), and the same or better SD card with the $50 gift certficate. Probably have some $ left for a microfiber cloth and a cap keeper. The "digital filters" has virtually no value to me personally based on the reviews on Adorama's site.
11-13-2014, 04:18 AM   #6
Site Supporter

I would go to your local independent dealer.

Many of them are selling the two lens kit for $600 with a $100 rebate.

My K-50 also included a 4gb EyeFi card although YMMV one that.

So the price is as good or better and you can get real support and help from your local dealer, who typically a knowledgable person.

And you support a local small business.

The rebate is from Promaster:

http://www.promaster.com/dealers.asp

Use the above link to find a Promaster dealer. Also, note, no other purchase is required beside the camera.
11-13-2014, 06:50 AM   #7

The latest Adorama kit with the $50 rebate comes with a 4GB mobi eye-fi card. This assumes you'd get a recently stocked Pentax kit as opposed to one that's been in stock since before the eye-fi cards were included with the kit. Perhaps a call to Adorama would clarify the issue.
11-13-2014, 09:12 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
The more i look at it i think the $50 gift card kit is the one to get i could order a sling bag and memory card with that. the only problem is they said on the phone i couldn't use the gift card till i receive it. I was hoping they would let me use it to order the bag and memory at the same time as the camera.

Is there a certain person i should ask if the eye-fi card is included, is it in the factory box already?

11-13-2014, 09:28 AM   #9

I just went through this when ordering a K50 kit for my wife through Adorama. I ended up ordering it with the $50 certificate, because I thought that I could use it to get something that I wanted (an extended warranty, e.g.), instead of getting stuff that I might not necessarily have ordered for $50. By the way, I initially ordered the 18-135 white kit which I returned for the black version. When I returned it, the black kit was back-ordered, and I just received it. The white kit didn't have the Eye-Fi card, while the black kit did. YMMV.
I received the gift card via email within hours of my order. So to use it, you'd have to make a second order, but it would be about the same time as the first. I would expect that you should receive it at about the same time.
I'm sorry to say that I hadn't registered on this forum until today, and so I failed to go through the site for ordering at Adorama.
11-13-2014, 09:41 AM   #10

The eye-fi card comes inside the camera box; it's now included as part of the kit by Pentax. There's a sticker on the outside of the latest camera box that says the card is included.
11-13-2014, 10:48 AM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by focusr3 Quote
The more i look at it i think the $50 gift card kit is the one to get i could order a sling bag and memory card with that. the only problem is they said on the phone i couldn't use the gift card till i receive it. I was hoping they would let me use it to order the bag and memory at the same time as the camera.

Is there a certain person i should ask if the eye-fi card is included, is it in the factory box already?
I respect you wanting to buy from a site sponsor. But if this is your first. DSLR, than buying from a l local dealer makes a lot of sense. They will give you guidance and support that an online store can't. And as you said, you can buy a memory card and bag. A 16 gb will set. You back 8 bucks or less and a bag can be pretty cheap too.
http:///newsearch.php?q=camera+bag&firstonly=1&searcharea=deals

Heck, on Black Friday Best Buy will have a bag and a tripod for $20. A very cheap tripod, to be sure, but it still might have uses.

I am biased towards a small local store, I worked in my folks electronics business growing up.
11-13-2014, 11:09 AM   #12
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bladerunner6 Quote
I would go to your local independent dealer.

Many of them are selling the two lens kit for $600 with a $100 rebate.

My K-50 also included a 4gb EyeFi card although YMMV one that.

So the price is as good or better and you can get real support and help from your local dealer, who typically a knowledgable person.

And you support a local small business.

The rebate is from Promaster:

http://www.promaster.com/dealers.asp

Use the above link to find a Promaster dealer. Also, note, no other purchase is required beside the camera.
Many areas do not have local dealers; also buying from Adorama or B&H THRU this site that we are enjoying; helps to keep this site going. To me that's very important.
11-13-2014, 11:34 AM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Many areas do not have local dealers; also buying from Adorama or B&H THRU this site that we are enjoying; helps to keep this site going. To me that's very important.
True, many people are not near a local dealer, but that is not something that has come up as an issue.

And yes, I respect supporting this site through sponsors. And certainly, he can buy his bag, tripod, memory card, additional lenses and whatever from a sponsor. Making purchases from a variety of businesses can make a lot of sense. Money is like manure, unless you spread it around it starts to stink.

And he can also make a PayPal donation to help this site.

But all that aside, if he is buying his first DSLR, a local dealer is a valid option in terms of both price and support. And then after he learns more about the camera he can buy the typically high margin accessories from a site sponsor.

Then everyone wins.

He is a better supported, happier camera owner that will be more prone to spend even more money on his hobby!
11-13-2014, 01:45 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
Let me clear stuff up. This is not my first camera if you take note i've been on here for over 4 yrs. I just don't post. I am looking to give this camera as a gift. Here in Baltimore we don't have a local B&M that carries pentax. So i was looking at different option's to be honest adorama having so many bundle options for the same camera and price seems a little strange. Example why sell one that comes with $50 GC and one that doesn't? I also couldn't tell by the specs listed initially if there was a difference in lenses like one kit WR and one maybe L lenses for example they looked the same because of the price point but maybe some variation in the kit's I wasn't aware of or couldn't see listed.

Now that i see Adorama is a prefered site sponsor I'll likely order the kit with the gift card.
11-13-2014, 06:49 PM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by focusr3 Quote
Let me clear stuff up. This is not my first camera if you take note i've been on here for over 4 yrs. I just don't post. I am looking to give this camera as a gift. Here in Baltimore we don't have a local B&M that carries pentax. So i was looking at different option's to be honest adorama having so many bundle options for the same camera and price seems a little strange. Example why sell one that comes with $50 GC and one that doesn't? I also couldn't tell by the specs listed initially if there was a difference in lenses like one kit WR and one maybe L lenses for example they looked the same because of the price point but maybe some variation in the kit's I wasn't aware of or couldn't see listed.

Now that i see Adorama is a prefered site sponsor I'll likely order the kit with the gift card.
I looked and indeed, there are no Pentax B&M Pentax dealer in your area.

As for why there are so many different kits-I wouldn't think twice about it, they and the other site sponsor (B & H) are both established, authorized dealers.

As for the EyeFi card, the one I just looked at said it was included.

Pick a kit and a color and go for it!