Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2014, 05:35 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuggie76 Quote
But how would I know what to limit it too? To low and underexposed, too high wouldn't matter I guess.

Tuggie76
That all depends on what situation, say you are shooting an air show at night... first, you need to set to spot metering, otherwise, you will over-expose no matter what as the sky is dark. You set you shutter depending on the object, you set your aperture (don't push it too wide-open otherwise you don't have enough DOF), you set your iso range to something you can tolerate for noise, say 1000 upper limit). You chimp and once you get comfortable, then you save your setting to USER mode call it "night time air show" and ready for next time. Hope it helps...

12-13-2014, 05:14 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
That all depends on what situation, say you are shooting an air show at night... first, you need to set to spot metering, otherwise, you will over-expose no matter what as the sky is dark. You set you shutter depending on the object, you set your aperture (don't push it too wide-open otherwise you don't have enough DOF), you set your iso range to something you can tolerate for noise, say 1000 upper limit). You chimp and once you get comfortable, then you save your setting to USER mode call it "night time air show" and ready for next time. Hope it helps...
Thanks Aleon, that is what I did, except for limiting ISO, maybe I'll try that next time.

By the way, that shot was taken at Hamilton last june.

Tuggie76
12-14-2014, 04:30 AM   #33

800 is my limit in TAV mode. Fully manually sometimes 1600 when I am sure that there is no other way around it. But usually I even try to avoid 800...
12-14-2014, 09:24 AM - 1 Like   #34
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With the K-50, I try to keep it below 6400, but if I see Bigfoot in the moonlight, I could push it further.
ASA1600 film is difficult to work with. A lot of grainy pictures either over or under exposed.
Being able to add two stops to that and still get pictures is simply a miracle.
Being able to keep my DoF in low light is just a bonus.