Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2014, 02:30 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Hehe yeah thats what really stood out for me with nikon. Simplicity is bliss. No need to fuss around with the things like i found myself doing with photoshoots with the pentax. Everytime we moved to a new area, i would have to manually expose an it's so amazing to not have to worry about that. It seems that nikon (atleast mine) does pretty well in single digit temps
https://www.flickr.com/groups/d600club/discuss/72157632870985499/

Even one person who shot at -40 degrees. o0 I dont think im crazy enough to actually go outside in that kind of weather. xD

12-08-2014, 03:08 PM   #62
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
Have to admire your restraint and diplomacy - and then I just have to hold my tongue. Just wondering, how did neostyles compile three "likes" on this forum?
It is a solid question. And a difficult one to answer. I'm stumped. Is there an answer?
12-08-2014, 05:52 PM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It is a solid question. And a difficult one to answer. I'm stumped. Is there an answer?
Who knows, maybe they are the 3 secret nikon shooters here. Theres more of us!

Last edited by neostyles; 12-08-2014 at 06:17 PM.
12-08-2014, 07:04 PM - 1 Like   #64
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by neostyles Quote
Who knows, maybe they are the 3 secret nikon shooters here. Theres more of us!
Lots of folks like Nikon cameras. Nothing wrong with that. It's just that most of them don't like them for the same reasons that you apparently like them and most refrain from slamming Pentax as much as you do.

On the other subject, I have found that Pentax gear holds up quite well in the snow and cold...

12-08-2014, 07:34 PM   #65
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Every now and then I go on the forums to see how other brands are doing, I see people switching from Canon to Nikon, from Nikon to Pentax, from Pentax to whatever, I guess it all comes out in the wash. My disasters came with a Sigma 120-400, they sent me one that didn't work, I mean completely wouldn't auto focus. Then they sent me a K-5 with 750 exposures on it that had been returned and had a broken AF system, that was supposed to be returned to Pentax, but somehow got shipped to me as a new purchase. They were really embarrassed and gave me a $100 gift card, which covered some of the expense of the two returns. I guess these things happen.
12-08-2014, 07:48 PM   #66
Veteran Member

Thats definitely impressive, rondec and pretty nice shots you got there and i love the stuff on your flickr as well! I will have to do some testes this christmas as we dont exactly get much snow here in california. But what reason is that exactly do you think? It's like im not coming from experience. I shot with pentax for 2 years (I used a an istdx, k10, and k20).. I dont even known what the shutter count on my k20 was but i think it was atleast 10k or something. It was a pentax where i picked up the basics of photography. These are all straight out of camera as i had no idea how to edit raw files back then

Last edited by neostyles; 02-07-2015 at 12:51 PM.
12-08-2014, 08:20 PM   #67
Pentaxian

He paid people to come and like him. It's definitely not for his photography.

12-09-2014, 12:26 AM   #68
Veteran Member

I wish i had that much money lying around. Maybe then i could get a private jet to fly to locations.. Maybe even hire assistants to carry around my gear

Last edited by neostyles; 12-09-2014 at 12:36 AM.
12-09-2014, 03:50 AM   #69
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh well.

I've owned a lot of Pentax gear over time -- starting with a *ist film camera, followed by a K100, K10, K20, K7, K5, K5 II and K3 cameras. They have not all been perfect. The biggest problem was that the K20 locked up periodically. Every problem I had was fixed quickly under warranty. So, in the end I have been happy.

Nikon and Canon cameras have had their issues over the years. The D600 was a particularly problematic camera for Nikon and necessitated the release of the D610. Unfortunately, this is the nature of the modern electronics market. The best consumers can hope for is for a company that will fix or replace defective gear quickly.
12-09-2014, 10:31 AM   #70
Veteran Member

Oh well.

I've owned a lot of Pentax gear over time -- starting with a *ist film camera, followed by a K100, K10, K20, K7, K5, K5 II and K3 cameras. They have not all been perfect. The biggest problem was that the K20 locked up periodically. Every problem I had was fixed quickly under warranty. So, in the end I have been happy.

Nikon and Canon cameras have had their issues over the years. The D600 was a particularly problematic camera for Nikon and necessitated the release of the D610. Unfortunately, this is the nature of the modern electronics market. The best consumers can hope for is for a company that will fix or replace defective gear quickly.
The person in the photo lab said that mine had the oil dust issue but i didnt even notice it before and i actually did the test the other day and couldn't see anything. I have heard the issue goes away after a few thousand shots, and i just celebrated my 6000th shot. Unfortunately all my pentax cameras and gear were used as thats all my parents were willing to pay for... I did most of my hw with the kit lens which is decidedly not the most earth shatteringly amazing lens in the world. Maybe why i am so proud of it is because i paid for the whole thing myself, which defies common sens when you think of struggling college student eating ramen noodles. I probably would have sent mine as it was having a zillion problems (exposure comp that refused to work in like one out of 3 shots) but i didnt have the time. I dont know of any place that does anything with pentax. That would have been helpful but i would have prob have to send it in which could have taken weeks and that wasnt really something i could do since i had hw every week.. from several classes that i needed it for.

The d600 is perfect for me.. I mean, it could have 4k recording but shooting with it is a zen like experience. I mean, yes there is a little weight anymore but i dont even notice it anymore because once i raise this thing to my eye magic comes out
12-09-2014, 10:37 AM   #71
Inactive Account

Hang On!

Certainly wouldn't jump ship from a K3 to any Nikon!
12-09-2014, 01:36 PM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hirundo Quote
Certainly wouldn't jump ship from a K3 to any Nikon!
Just wait until nikon releases their medium format camera Also i might add that the k3 is kind of still below alot of what nikon has to offer. It now goes for about $800. I see as kind of an upper level enthusiast thing. Pentax doesnt really offer anything like the D4 or the 5dmk3. They really havent had much luck getting in the pro scene. You have an $800 body or an $8000 body. Not really much in between. Just my 2 cents
12-25-2014, 11:52 PM   #73
Pentaxian

Oh cool, a Nikon lover. Haven't seen one of those out and about in awhile. Usually everyone is singing the praises of Sony or Fuji!

Welcome. Hope you have fun. Some of these guys are a touch sensitive about their small Pentaxes and can get ornery sometimes, but they are really good people.
12-26-2014, 06:18 AM   #74
Veteran Member

Relatives......
12-26-2014, 07:14 AM   #75
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
He paid people to come and like him. It's definitely not for his photography.
Some people just seem to be mercifully free of the ravages of talent. According to current postings, a jump to Sony is now contemplated. God bless the dear folks on the Nikon forums in the near future.