Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2014, 09:56 AM   #76
jac
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sorver Quote
Trouble is all of the companies seem the same. .... Sigh not good ��
Sorry Sorver. Got a tad off-topic there. I think you summed it up though. Brand loyalty is often troublesome. I started with Pentax when they were at the top of their game and am hopefully watching them rise again. I am still with Pentax (Ricoh) because I have been lucky enough to get products of high quality. (A tiny sensor stain on the K5 which I use for lining up different shots and a bit of K3 mirror-flap until a later software update.)

I empathize with you and your disappointment. But make a jump if that is best for you. Some of my best friends use Nikon and I don't hold it against them, even when shooting in the rain.

Last edited by jac; 12-26-2014 at 10:04 AM.
12-26-2014, 12:37 PM   #77
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
Some people just seem to be mercifully free of the ravages of talent. According to current postings, a jump to Sony is now contemplated. God bless the dear folks on the Nikon forums in the near future.
dude, many people are considering switching over to sony. Their video game is strong. Strong like an nfl linebacker xD . Nikon has some cool stuff comming up, what with the recent patents related to mirrorless and if they step up their video game, then im sold. I think nikon is slowly but surely gearing up to big things, So is canon imo. I think the advent of mirrorless has really kind of been the jumpstarter for a new wave of innovation. Im excited for what the new year holds.

There is also strong evidence that nikon will be debuting medium format. Canon/nikon both offer a huge system of cameras, lenses, accessories, etc and that is their biggest strength imo. I think with all these things happening, think pentax is going to be kind of overshadowed. The big names are all doing big things and pentax is still trying to compete on the cheap imo. With the 5 axis stabilization on the a7ii, there is now even less reason to own a pentax imo (ive been told that olympus also has great stabilization for video.)
12-26-2014, 01:05 PM   #78
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by neostyles Quote
Nikon has some cool stuff comming up, what with the recent patents related to mirrorless
Patents don't necessarily translate to hardware.

So far, Nikon has only given us one mirrorless format,
while Pentax already has two under its belt,
and Ricoh even managed several in one camera (GXR)!
QuoteOriginally posted by neostyles Quote
and if they step up their video game, then im sold.
Aren't you sold now on your D600?
12-26-2014, 03:20 PM   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Patents don't necessarily translate to hardware.

So far, Nikon has only given us one mirrorless format,
while Pentax already has two under its belt,
and Ricoh even managed several in one camera (GXR)!

Aren't you sold now on your D600?
Right, but nikon is like 30% of the camera market. They are pretty big, so i think its this is almost defenitely a sign of things to come. Plus, the patent was for a mirrorless full frame. Pentax have yet to have one full frame. Nikon already has zillions of ff lenses and chances are that most of these will be compatible with their mirroless ff,

I love the video on my d600 defenitely, The quality is fantastic (especially with nikon hacker's 64 mb/sec patch) but there are certain things ive always wanted. I dont understand why nikon left out exposure tools such as the live histogram, zebra, etc. also wish nikon used better codecs. Sony has AVCHD and the GH4 has pro res. I believe one of the sony cameras does super slow mo and i wish nikon had that too. I think the original a6000 could shoot 120 fps or something but i could be wrong.

According to sonyalpharumors, there is a lot to come from sony in 2015. Not just the A9 but the a88, a99ii and some 4k goodness

12-27-2014, 12:30 AM   #80
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
Sorry Sorver. Got a tad off-topic there. I think you summed it up though. Brand loyalty is often troublesome. I started with Pentax when they were at the top of their game and am hopefully watching them rise again. I am still with Pentax (Ricoh) because I have been lucky enough to get products of high quality. (A tiny sensor stain on the K5 which I use for lining up different shots and a bit of K3 mirror-flap until a later software update.)

I empathize with you and your disappointment. But make a jump if that is best for you. Some of my best friends use Nikon and I don't hold it against them, even when shooting in the rain.
Quite alright I had a choice at Xmas to make buy a 50-500mm (bigma) for my pentaxs or jump to another brand when push came to shove I couldn't leave Pentax well at least not for now. I must say the decision did come close when I had trouble finding a bigma for it. Otherwise I had weeks of wait till they got more. I was lucky to track Georges in Sydney to having one just when I was about to give up. When my Pentax are working fault free like anyone I sing its praises . You know Nikon have weather reistant too 😜. I guess it has been a real learning curve and thanks to the folks on here I now have great knowledge with how to deal with certain things. I believe you are right I think Pentax is onto great things especially here in Oz if you take into account the amount of members from Oz. In all honesty the only thing that concerns me is one business having a monopoly of the market here and while most times they have done an ok job it is still a concern. I wonder if anyone else would take up sigma and pentax here if something were to happen to them. Finding lenses with the pentax mount can be hard at times and having to wait while the other brands get the new lenses. Eg 150-600 I gues there is some bonus to that though at least the other models get to iron out the bugs 😀. So I guess you guys are stuck with me for a little longer. Sorry lots more questions from me to come I imagine hehe unless the girls k-3 and k-50 decide to behave themselves. K-3 seems to be behaving itself atm so hope it stays that way.
12-27-2014, 06:40 AM   #81
jac
Loyal Site Supporter

Good luck and good shooting!