Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
11-22-2014, 04:37 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Not even with Pentax for a year and ready to say goodbye

Sigh had issues with the k-50 where wouldn't turn off bought camera for overseas holiday and started faulting before two weeks leaving sent back no issue found. Bought a k-3 since camera k-50 was unlikely to be back before holiday. K-50 sent back no issue found faulted with same issue several times whilst on holidays so videoed it and was replaced with new k-50. Happy k-3 worked without a fault whilst away. Had a great photographic night of lightning and then went on a photographic shoot next day could not believe it when the k-3 wouldn't turn off and had to remove battery dejavu all over again not only that it wouldn't take shutter shots it was like I had some pitiful sd card in and not an extreme pro. Happened several times over 😁. Seems 3 months is my limit with Pentax cameras. I am so happy with the quality shots I get from them but what's the point of having a camera that fails you constantly. It seems to be a quality control issue with the pentax cameras. About to video the issue when it happens again then off goes my k-3 😞. Ready to sell all my Pentax and go Nikon........ I know it's great it has warranty etc but then it is often in repair for a month and thanks to the first issue I now have a back up camera and I know all brands have their issues but this is really BS is it possible that I could be unlucky enough to get two duds or does pentax not go the mile. Granted I use my camera on a daily basis and whilst I am not a professional I am very keen photographer and probably do a years worth of photography in three months. I know I am probably asking the wrong people but would it be a knee jerk reaction to sell all of my gear and start over again. One very unhappy pentaxian. I worry if I hang on and keep having issues like this with the cameras when the warranty runs out where does it end. Not sure I want to invest any more into this brand. Was lined up for a bigma for Xmas but may be going another brand altogether and hang off.

11-22-2014, 04:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I can understand the frustration when you need something and it stops to work.
You have been definitely not lucky with cameras.
By the way, I don't think that it is something brand related, if not the forum was full of complains about the quality.
Anyway, maybe it is something totally different, but my mother was having a problem with the cellular phones for years. After few months, they just die. One time I have given her a phone of mines, more than 6/7 years old that always worked perfectly. After 2 weeks the phone died.
In the end we discovered that was the place in which she worked, an hospital, maybe because of machines or something.
She started to leave the phone in her private closet in the hospital and everything worked fine.
I said this just because sometimes the problems may happen even for something that it is not our fault but neither manufacturer fault.
11-22-2014, 04:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by flaviopetrone Quote
I can understand the frustration when you need something and it stops to work.
You have been definitely not lucky with cameras.
By the way, I don't think that it is something brand related, if not the forum was full of complains about the quality.
Anyway, maybe it is something totally different, but my mother was having a problem with the cellular phones for years. After few months, they just die. One time I have given her a phone of mines, more than 6/7 years old that always worked perfectly. After 2 weeks the phone died.
In the end we discovered that was the place in which she worked, an hospital, maybe because of machines or something.
She started to leave the phone in her private closet in the hospital and everything worked fine.
I said this just because sometimes the problems may happen even for something that it is not our fault but neither manufacturer fault.
I would say fair point if I didn't have a bridging Fujifilm that was several years old and same with a Panasonic all still going without issues don't think it is the area but fair comment and understand where you are coming from.
11-22-2014, 04:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I understand.
Maybe you have been just not lucky. You could consider to have the cameras fixed by warranty and go on to see if in the end they work fine or not.
I would even write a letter to Ricoh, it won't fix your problem but at least you could have a more accurate service in warranty.

11-22-2014, 04:53 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Always irritating when your gear does not work.

Just a couple of thoughts:
  • All brands have issues, so jumping to a different brand may or may not improve things
  • Pentax repair times have been poor, but it seems they are aware and are making changes. Whether that will be an improvement is unknown, yet.
  • I have had k-x, k-5, two different k-5IIs, k-01 and k-3. The k-5 developed a mirror motor fault after about 40,000 images. No issues with any of the others.
  • I shoot about 20,000 images per year and I would say based on that I am quite happy with service I have gotten from my Pentax gear
  • Image quality is quite similar across brands at this point and I think the determining factor should be how the camera feels and works in your hand. I have tried Canon and Nikon and they do not come close to fitting my hands as well as Pentax YMMV

I think if I had had your experience I would be starting to wonder as well. All I can say is that is not typical of most users and I feel for your bad luck.
11-22-2014, 04:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sorver Quote
I would say fair point if I didn't have a bridging Fujifilm that was several years old and same with a Panasonic all still going without issues don't think it is the area but fair comment and understand where you are coming from.
Will that comfort you if I say that my first K10D bought back in 2008 works flawlessly with no break (I use it daily ), same as K-01 I bought in 2013 - both camera bought new and never failed me for years. Both got fair share of dings and bumps - does that change your perspective ? My point is that you simple have been unlucky with your purchases or the odds stacked against you and camera failed. But does that mean that every single one would fail ? Obviously not - so I suggest to resolve the issue once for good and put some pressure on Ricoh if things aren't improving.
11-22-2014, 04:57 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would be frustrated if I was in your shoes as well.
Fortunately I cannot report any problems with my Pentax cameras.
I have had problems with Sony products many times so I would not buy the brand any more myself.
We can only go by our personal experience.
Best of luck whatever you decide.

11-22-2014, 05:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Always irritating when your gear does not work.

Just a couple of thoughts:
  • All brands have issues, so jumping to a different brand may or may not improve things
  • Pentax repair times have been poor, but it seems they are aware and are making changes. Whether that will be an improvement is unknown, yet.
  • I have had k-x, k-5, two different k-5IIs, k-01 and k-3. The k-5 developed a mirror motor fault after about 40,000 images. No issues with any of the others.
  • I shoot about 20,000 images per year and I would say based on that I am quite happy with service I have gotten from my Pentax gear
  • Image quality is quite similar across brands at this point and I think the determining factor should be how the camera feels and works in your hand. I have tried Canon and Nikon and they do not come close to fitting my hands as well as Pentax YMMV

I think if I had had your experience I would be starting to wonder as well. All I can say is that is not typical of most users and I feel for your bad luck.
Yeah I bought my pentax on feel and weather sealing and weight not that my gear has ever made it in the rain except for once in Ketchikan and even then I used a plastic bag over it with the WR lens on. Well I guess I have had my tanty so onwards and upwards and see how I go. Just couldn't believe it. You definately have had a good run with your gear. I can't complain too hard about service time here in oz it has only taken a couple of weeks at a time so...........

---------- Post added 11-22-14 at 05:03 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
I would be frustrated if I was in your shoes as well.
Fortunately I cannot report any problems with my Pentax cameras.
I have had problems with Sony products many times so I would not buy the brand any more myself.
We can only go by our personal experience.
Best of luck whatever you decide.
Thanks and I agree I don't think Sony make their gear to last as they always have something bigger and better within the next few months. I learnt my lesson with them on phones.
11-22-2014, 05:06 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Some good replies here already. Hope you find greener pastures. If you buy Canon, you can even adapt some K-mount lenses.
11-22-2014, 05:07 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
Will that comfort you if I say that my first K10D bought back in 2008 works flawlessly with no break (I use it daily ), same as K-01 I bought in 2013 - both camera bought new and never failed me for years. Both got fair share of dings and bumps - does that change your perspective ? My point is that you simple have been unlucky with your purchases or the odds stacked against you and camera failed. But does that mean that every single one would fail ? Obviously not - so I suggest to resolve the issue once for good and put some pressure on Ricoh if things aren't improving.
Actually yeah it does and doesn't make me feel better lol but fair point and good way of pointing it out just plum unlucky. Sigh what a way to be broken into the dslr world.

---------- Post added 11-22-14 at 05:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Some good replies here already. Hope you find greener pastures. If you buy Canon, you can even adapt some K-mount lenses.
Yeah the folks here are fabulous and I really appreciate their time in replying often that support is worth more than anything. Without a doubt the Pentaxian People rock. The only reason I wouldn't consider Canon is they have changed their mounts one time too many I know quality is fabulous but afraid I don't really like change 😜
11-22-2014, 05:30 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Product failures

Well, I would be upset with the brand too if I had experienced these failures. Also, it is really hard to be philosophical about it when you are the one inconvenienced.

I have had two issues only: K-5ii bricked when installing firmware update. K-7 shutter assembly failed at only 30,000 clicks. K-5ii took 4-5 months to repair because of switch from CHRIS to the new warranty repair place. The shutter assembly was done by Eric and the camera was back in a flash!

I have never heard of anyone else having a shutter assembly failure. They tell us that you have to be doing something wrong to brick your camera when installing updated firmware, but I now know better.

I think these failures are fairly random, and not systematic. I think you can get random failures with any brand.

Tempting as it is, I think it would be a mistake to change brands because of the failures you have experienced. However, I like having decent cameras as backups to reduce the seriousness of a product failure in one camera.

Ultimately, you have to decide, but that is my two cents worth of experience and advice.
11-22-2014, 05:55 PM   #12
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Sigh had issues with the k-50 where wouldn't turn off bought camera for overseas holiday and started faulting before two weeks leaving sent back no issue found. Bought a k-3 since camera k-50 was unlikely to be back before holiday. K-50 sent back no issue found faulted with same issue several times whilst on holidays so videoed it and was replaced with new k-50. Happy k-3 worked without a fault whilst away. Had a great photographic night of lightning and then went on a photographic shoot next day could not believe it when the k-3 wouldn't turn off and had to remove battery dejavu all over again not only that it wouldn't take shutter shots it was like I had some pitiful sd card in and not an extreme pro. Happened several times over 😁. Seems 3 months is my limit with Pentax cameras. I am so happy with the quality shots I get from them but what's the point of having a camera that fails you constantly. It seems to be a quality control issue with the pentax cameras. About to video the issue when it happens again then off goes my k-3 😞. Ready to sell all my Pentax and go Nikon........ I know it's great it has warranty etc but then it is often in repair for a month and thanks to the first issue I now have a back up camera and I know all brands have their issues but this is really BS is it possible that I could be unlucky enough to get two duds or does pentax not go the mile. Granted I use my camera on a daily basis and whilst I am not a professional I am very keen photographer and probably do a years worth of photography in three months. I know I am probably asking the wrong people but would it be a knee jerk reaction to sell all of my gear and start over again. One very unhappy pentaxian. I worry if I hang on and keep having issues like this with the cameras when the warranty runs out where does it end. Not sure I want to invest any more into this brand. Was lined up for a bigma for Xmas but may be going another brand altogether and hang off.
Have Pentax for 40 years never a problem,
11-22-2014, 07:04 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Well, I would be upset with the brand too if I had experienced these failures. Also, it is really hard to be philosophical about it when you are the one inconvenienced.

I have had two issues only: K-5ii bricked when installing firmware update. K-7 shutter assembly failed at only 30,000 clicks. K-5ii took 4-5 months to repair because of switch from CHRIS to the new warranty repair place. The shutter assembly was done by Eric and the camera was back in a flash!

I have never heard of anyone else having a shutter assembly failure. They tell us that you have to be doing something wrong to brick your camera when installing updated firmware, but I now know better.

I think these failures are fairly random, and not systematic. I think you can get random failures with any brand.

Tempting as it is, I think it would be a mistake to change brands because of the failures you have experienced. However, I like having decent cameras as backups to reduce the seriousness of a product failure in one camera.

Ultimately, you have to decide, but that is my two cents worth of experience and advice.
Oh gosh you have had your fun too and yes fully agree about the bricking issue scared to death of that happening with mine and I like to think I sm reasonably tech savvy lol thus why I probably am so scared. Thank you I really appreciate your input

---------- Post added 11-22-14 at 07:09 PM ----------

About to do a factory reset and the store I bought it from will do firmware upgrades for me so will see how we go.
11-22-2014, 07:13 PM   #14

Man, that's horrible and I'm sorry you've gone through that. I have not had the issues you have but it would be hard to have a different perspective if my experience was the same.

One thing I would very strongly suggest and that is to put your concerns and experiences in writing to Ricoh/Pentax. You are a very reasonable person and I know from my own experiences in technical and customer support for software, copiers and printers that Ricoh takes customer satisfaction very seriously. It is an overarching theme for the whole company and a drumbeat we all march to. The problem lies in change... The whole company has undergone acquisitions and merging technologies and aligning policies and systems. Getting the right people to be aware of your poor experience can be a challenge. But believe me, making customers happy with their products and experiences is paramount... Find out from technical support or warranty administration who you could email with your concerns. State them as plainly and fairly as you have here. Keep climbing the chain, you'll be heard.
11-22-2014, 07:41 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

The only reason I wouldn't consider Canon is they have changed their mounts one time too many I know quality is fabulous
I have had two Canon cameras fail on me.
One failed a second time after the first issue was repaired.
Point is, failure can happen with any brand.