Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2014, 08:40 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TimesShadow Quote
Man, that's horrible and I'm sorry you've gone through that. I have not had the issues you have but it would be hard to have a different perspective if my experience was the same.

One thing I would very strongly suggest and that is to put your concerns and experiences in writing to Ricoh/Pentax. You are a very reasonable person and I know from my own experiences in technical and customer support for software, copiers and printers that Ricoh takes customer satisfaction very seriously. It is an overarching theme for the whole company and a drumbeat we all march to. The problem lies in change... The whole company has undergone acquisitions and merging technologies and aligning policies and systems. Getting the right people to be aware of your poor experience can be a challenge. But believe me, making customers happy with their products and experiences is paramount... Find out from technical support or warranty administration who you could email with your concerns. State them as plainly and fairly as you have here. Keep climbing the chain, you'll be heard.
Good advice I will do that, our sole warranty and importers are C R Kennedy here in Australia. They also take care of repairs etc. I had very little help from them when my k-50 broke thus why I bought the k-3 as crazy as that sounds. I got more help and offers here from the forum than I did from them but will write a letter to them and also to Pentax international can't fix it if they don't know.

11-22-2014, 08:53 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow thats terrible. Sorry to hear. Can't blame you for jumping ship.

I have had a pretty good run (so far at least) with Pentax but I have had some issues with Sigma (17-70).
Certainly the old Pentax glass (and cameras) are pretty solid. I have an old ME and Spotmatic that still click away. Old Takamar lenses seem totally bullet proof.
There were a few issues with buttons popping off K-5's in recent times though.

Good luck for the future!
11-22-2014, 09:05 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Nothing is indestructible. Sometimes failure comes early, sometimes later on, but it WILL fail.

Based on your story your failures seem to happen early. Maybe you should be looking at the bright side; at least your failures are happening under warranty.
11-22-2014, 09:06 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
All brands have issues, so jumping to a different brand may or may not improve things
I am sorry for the OP's problems. It is disappointing to not have expensive purchases live up to expectations. To put a few numbers out to place the dSLR market in perspective, the most recent member survey for dSLR reliability from ConsumerReports.org gives the following percentages for failure or significant repair:

Canon: 4%
Nikon: 6%
Sony: 4%

For Nikon, one of every 17 dSLR cameras in the survey were returned as defective or required warranty service. Pentax and Olympus are not included in their survey results due to inadequate sampling. That being said, Consumer Reports continues to rate both the K-50 and K-3 as "Best Buy" and "Recommended" respectively. If there were persistent quality issues, this would not be the case.

Steve

11-22-2014, 09:18 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You are not alone. Electronic digital cameras are much more complicated compared to their SLR predecessors, and the chances you'll get a lemon are higher than they were. My first Pentax dSLR was the K-5. It had oil stains on the sensor and was replaced within a day. Unfortunately, the replacement suffered from the dreaded mirror flop problem, and was swapped within two months of me getting it, but only after hassling the regional Pentax agents. The final replacement K-5 was fine. But I was so impressed with the K-5 overall (despite oil stains and mirror flops) that I bought a second backup body, which had no problems. I've since replaced both K-5s with two K-5II bodies for the better autofocus in the K-5II. I've tried Canon DSLRs, but Pentax make cameras with great IQ and great ergonomics -- I really enjoy shooting with the K-5II. I can't say the same about Canon.

IMHO Pentax cameras are made by photographers for photographers. That's why I stay with them.
11-22-2014, 09:55 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well what a bummer, I do think that appealing to C.R. Kennedy and Pentax/Ricoh Japan is the best course of action at this stage (write formal letters and pop them into the post), hopefully they will together fix you up with a new camera. Not sure if I would jump ship or not if this happened to me, maybe would, that would depend on what came of the appeal to the manufacturers and what they decided to do or not to do.
I bought a used K-5 on this forum along with some used lenses (some new from CRK) and haven't looked back. I did come from Canon where i Had a 60D and an assortment of lenses all bought new, wouldn't hesitate to go Canon again in the future, but for now Pentax rules, all those lenses out there new and old and the mythical full frame model. Currently looking for a K 28mm f3.5 and there will be others like the 77mm and more.
Wish you the best of luck and hope you can stick around here.

Edit: It would be a great help if someone as a representative of C.R. Kennedy did post here on a regular basis and assisted in enquiries like this and others.

Last edited by beachgardener; 11-22-2014 at 09:57 PM. Reason: add suggestion
11-22-2014, 10:04 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You have my sympathies.

I've owned and used many brands over my 40 years of shooting. They are all about the same reliability-wise, but my experience doesn't really matter. Yours does.

My suggestion is to just get on with it, change brands as soon as you can, and continue shooting. That's what matters. Moving from one camera system to another (I went solely Canon in January after five years of using both Pentax and Canon) is not like changing religions, just learning a few new tricks, and spending gobs of money. And if your new system provides you with increased confidence in practicing photography, then I'll be happier for you.

M

11-22-2014, 10:26 PM   #23

Just a couple of thoughts:

Jatrax wrote:
[*]All brands have issues, so jumping to a different brand may or may not improve things

Indeed, indeed, but my worst experience was with Pentax, a couple of K-5s passed through my hands before I gave up, and the wife's DA*50-135 had SDM problems.

Most stupid problem was with an Olympus compact, that died the third day into a vacation in the US. Had to be sent to Olympus service center, in Switzerland, for a firmware update. Since then, it hasn't missed a shot (this was so long ago that you were not allowed to do firmware updates yourself).
[*]Pentax repair times have been poor, but it seems they are aware and are making changes. Whether that will be an improvement is unknown, yet.

Here Nikon has changed their routines when it comes to repairs, so they only do them themselves, thus delays and frustration!
[*]I have had k-x, k-5, two different k-5IIs, k-01 and k-3. The k-5 developed a mirror motor fault after about 40,000 images. No issues with any of the others.

My K-5 had all kinds of problems, from oil on the sensor, to dead card reader/writer. We, the wife and I, had two K-5s, and still have one K-30 and a K-x. Only my K-5 misbehaved.

Since I switched to mainly Nikon I've had dust/oil problems with my D600 (over 10,000 actuations as yet), that's all, while the K-30, and the K-x, are still in mint condition, after a few thousand actuations each.

We own five DSLR/MILC Nikons, all without any further issues, two Olympus, one Ricoh, one Canon, four Sony, and probably some more, that I've forgotten (never used). No real issues with any of them, none of them having needed service, beyond that mentioned above. A couple of batteries have died, or been replaced, free of charge, that's all.
[*]I shoot about 20,000 images per year and I would say based on that I am quite happy with service I have gotten from my Pentax gear.

We shoot quite a lot more than that, and have not had any problems with Pentax's repairs/replacement of cameras. A sad fact is that the K-3's problems with shutter flutter is well known, and not yet solved fully, as far as I'm aware.
[*]Image quality is quite similar across brands at this point and I think the determining factor should be how the camera feels and works in your hand. I have tried Canon and Nikon and they do not come close to fitting my hands as well as Pentax YMMV

Well, that is both true, and totally false, In good light, and low ISO, yes, then the differences are surprisingly small, but in more demanding situations the difference is huge!

I loved the Pentax K-5's menu system, and fast sensor, but didn't like the noise at base ISO, nor the problems I had with the rest (the K-x and the K-7 never had any isssues).

The 50-135 problem, we later learned, are well known (all lenses equipped with the SDM had/have reliability issues), and Pentax never ever did any SDM replacements for free. Our lens was used, but after repair it was never the same again. I would never trust a lens with SDM again, ever.

Nikon's DX cameras are not better than Pentax's, from an IQ point of view, nor features, but the lens selection is vast, and many of the really good lenses cheap, like the micro-NIKKOR 40/2.8. And most of these works just perfect on the Nikon 1 cameras, and on the full frames. So that's what I use: DX lenses on my Nikon 1 cameras, and on my FX, plus a couple of full frame lenses as well. We also have almost all the Nikon 1 lenses, and the F Mount adapter, cunningly called the FT1 adapter.

I love my small-ish Nikon 1 cameras, which has a crop factor of 2.7, thus a 70-300 becomes a 200-800 lens, with better DOF than a 'real' 200-800.

They have to be treated with respect in low light, so that's where my FX camera comes in. I have three DX cameras, one Pentax, one Ricoh, and one Sony. none of them will wear out, I'm afraid as they tend to get too little use (the Ricoh is new, so I can't say for sure about that, yet)!
11-23-2014, 02:16 AM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by Sorver Quote
Sigh had issues with the k-50 where wouldn't turn off bought camera for overseas holiday and started faulting before two weeks leaving sent back no issue found. Bought a k-3 since camera k-50 was unlikely to be back before holiday. K-50 sent back no issue found faulted with same issue several times whilst on holidays so videoed it and was replaced with new k-50. Happy k-3 worked without a fault whilst away. Had a great photographic night of lightning and then went on a photographic shoot next day could not believe it when the k-3 wouldn't turn off and had to remove battery dejavu all over again not only that it wouldn't take shutter shots it was like I had some pitiful sd card in and not an extreme pro. Happened several times over 😁. Seems 3 months is my limit with Pentax cameras. I am so happy with the quality shots I get from them but what's the point of having a camera that fails you constantly. It seems to be a quality control issue with the pentax cameras. About to video the issue when it happens again then off goes my k-3 😞. Ready to sell all my Pentax and go Nikon........ I know it's great it has warranty etc but then it is often in repair for a month and thanks to the first issue I now have a back up camera and I know all brands have their issues but this is really BS is it possible that I could be unlucky enough to get two duds or does pentax not go the mile. Granted I use my camera on a daily basis and whilst I am not a professional I am very keen photographer and probably do a years worth of photography in three months. I know I am probably asking the wrong people but would it be a knee jerk reaction to sell all of my gear and start over again. One very unhappy pentaxian. I worry if I hang on and keep having issues like this with the cameras when the warranty runs out where does it end. Not sure I want to invest any more into this brand. Was lined up for a bigma for Xmas but may be going another brand altogether and hang off.
I have my old pentax body still works, my pentax k-x still work until i sell it because i want to upgrade it, i think you should check your environment, may be there a magnetic field around the place where you place your camera and make the camera error, or you just unlucky with some brand.
11-23-2014, 04:04 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
Nothing is indestructible. Sometimes failure comes early, sometimes later on, but it WILL fail.

Based on your story your failures seem to happen early. Maybe you should be looking at the bright side; at least your failures are happening under warranty.
Your post actually made me laugh, something I keep telling myself it's still under warranty.....

---------- Post added 11-23-14 at 04:06 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mixberry Quote
I have my old pentax body still works, my pentax k-x still work until i sell it because i want to upgrade it, i think you should check your environment, may be there a magnetic field around the place where you place your camera and make the camera error, or you just unlucky with some brand.
Just unlucky, type 1 diabetic with an insulin pump and no issues have been here for three years now and they are very sensitive to magnetic fields but good thought

---------- Post added 11-23-14 at 04:09 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Tord Quote
Just a couple of thoughts:

Jatrax wrote:
[*]All brands have issues, so jumping to a different brand may or may not improve things

Indeed, indeed, but my worst experience was with Pentax, a couple of K-5s passed through my hands before I gave up, and the wife's DA*50-135 had SDM problems.

Most stupid problem was with an Olympus compact, that died the third day into a vacation in the US. Had to be sent to Olympus service center, in Switzerland, for a firmware update. Since then, it hasn't missed a shot (this was so long ago that you were not allowed to do firmware updates yourself).
[*]Pentax repair times have been poor, but it seems they are aware and are making changes. Whether that will be an improvement is unknown, yet.

Here Nikon has changed their routines when it comes to repairs, so they only do them themselves, thus delays and frustration!
[*]I have had k-x, k-5, two different k-5IIs, k-01 and k-3. The k-5 developed a mirror motor fault after about 40,000 images. No issues with any of the others.

My K-5 had all kinds of problems, from oil on the sensor, to dead card reader/writer. We, the wife and I, had two K-5s, and still have one K-30 and a K-x. Only my K-5 misbehaved.

Since I switched to mainly Nikon I've had dust/oil problems with my D600 (over 10,000 actuations as yet), that's all, while the K-30, and the K-x, are still in mint condition, after a few thousand actuations each.

We own five DSLR/MILC Nikons, all without any further issues, two Olympus, one Ricoh, one Canon, four Sony, and probably some more, that I've forgotten (never used). No real issues with any of them, none of them having needed service, beyond that mentioned above. A couple of batteries have died, or been replaced, free of charge, that's all.
[*]I shoot about 20,000 images per year and I would say based on that I am quite happy with service I have gotten from my Pentax gear.

We shoot quite a lot more than that, and have not had any problems with Pentax's repairs/replacement of cameras. A sad fact is that the K-3's problems with shutter flutter is well known, and not yet solved fully, as far as I'm aware.
[*]Image quality is quite similar across brands at this point and I think the determining factor should be how the camera feels and works in your hand. I have tried Canon and Nikon and they do not come close to fitting my hands as well as Pentax YMMV

Well, that is both true, and totally false, In good light, and low ISO, yes, then the differences are surprisingly small, but in more demanding situations the difference is huge!

I loved the Pentax K-5's menu system, and fast sensor, but didn't like the noise at base ISO, nor the problems I had with the rest (the K-x and the K-7 never had any isssues).

The 50-135 problem, we later learned, are well known (all lenses equipped with the SDM had/have reliability issues), and Pentax never ever did any SDM replacements for free. Our lens was used, but after repair it was never the same again. I would never trust a lens with SDM again, ever.

Nikon's DX cameras are not better than Pentax's, from an IQ point of view, nor features, but the lens selection is vast, and many of the really good lenses cheap, like the micro-NIKKOR 40/2.8. And most of these works just perfect on the Nikon 1 cameras, and on the full frames. So that's what I use: DX lenses on my Nikon 1 cameras, and on my FX, plus a couple of full frame lenses as well. We also have almost all the Nikon 1 lenses, and the F Mount adapter, cunningly called the FT1 adapter.

I love my small-ish Nikon 1 cameras, which has a crop factor of 2.7, thus a 70-300 becomes a 200-800 lens, with better DOF than a 'real' 200-800.

They have to be treated with respect in low light, so that's where my FX camera comes in. I have three DX cameras, one Pentax, one Ricoh, and one Sony. none of them will wear out, I'm afraid as they tend to get too little use (the Ricoh is new, so I can't say for sure about that, yet)!
Wow thank you so much for taking the time to write that up I really appreciate your thoughts. You had a rough ride too.

---------- Post added 11-23-14 at 04:24 AM ----------

After taking all of your posts and experiences into account I probably will ride this out I researched my cameras long and hard and on research basis my thoughts still haven't changed . I thought back then pentax was the best for me and probably still is. The first fault which I didn't make clear the outcome was more than likely a wiring fault but starting to wonder if it is not a software issue as well with a similar thing happening to the k-3 but for them to send a new camera must have been hardware as they would have upgraded and returned I imagine.
I treat my cameras like eggs they are babied and looked after well each with special cases and carefully cleaned and looked after every use. Maybe that's the problem they die of shock lol. Anyhow will see how my pride and joy go after we try and descramble her brain. Thank you so much really to each and every one of you that took the time to respond I really appreciate it. What's the saying misery loves company but nothing compares to a happy ending. So hopefully that is where I am headed. I think as things are more computer based we are more likely to get more problems as well as improvements so maybe I have to lower my expectations and accept that sometimes stuff happens.
11-23-2014, 10:33 AM   #26
Veteran Member

You've had an unfortunate streak. Not entirely surprised by the K-50 (I have a K-30 - and don't feel as confident with it compared to my old K20D or even the K-01). We've heard of very few failures with the K-3. As others indicate, the biggest concern is with the lenses - and SDM in particular. (Not a problem for me as I own no SDM lenses.) I think Ricoh has slightly improved reliability and responsiveness when issues arise. Overall, I think Pentax is at least as reliable as Nikon for bodies, but a step behind for QC on lenses.

It is a little unfair to compare dSLRs with mirrorless - really much less to go wrong and far less mechanical activity. That said, Fuji and Panasonic have a reputation for very good QC.
11-23-2014, 10:41 AM   #27
Veteran Member

To the OP, sorry to hear the problems you have with your Pentax system; indeed, you don't owe Ricoh/Pentax anything, and hopefully you find some in other brands that you like and enjoy.
11-23-2014, 11:54 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sorry to here about your issues -- I would be considering changing systems too....but...

This year I've stepped back into photography with the K-50 and could not be happier. I chose Pentax because I grew up on Pentax learning film photography from my dad. So i didn't even think about which system when I got back into it this year. A couple months ago i took some pictures for someone with their Canon and the grip leaves a lot to be desired compared to my Pentax experience. From day 1 the Pentax seems to mold right into my hand as if an extension. I never felt comfortable with the Canon grip, so given this experience I have a new appreciation for the Pentax body/grip. I would definitely get up close and personal with the other options before you decide on making the move.

btw I got my K-50 in May this year and have a shutter actuation count of 8552. I don't like hearing these stories because I would not want to be without my camera for the repair time. I've already been planning my "backup" body purchase and hard to resist the 396 K50 price right now and also the K3 796 sale price...hmmm
11-23-2014, 01:04 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rtmarwitz Quote
Sorry to here about your issues -- I would be considering changing systems too....but...

btw I got my K-50 in May this year and have a shutter actuation count of 8552. I don't like hearing these stories because I would not want to be without my camera for the repair time. I've already been planning my "backup" body purchase and hard to resist the 396 K50 price right now and also the K3 796 sale price...hmmm
Are you putting $100 value to the battery grip on the K-3? That puts it at $796 for BH/Adorama - and makes sense. I'd disregard the pricing from ajritchie and americacameras - not authorized dealers, and might not be a complete, new camera with domestic warranty. I'm watching closely too. We seem to getting pretty close to final closeout pricing.
11-23-2014, 04:02 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
Are you putting $100 value to the battery grip on the K-3? That puts it at $796 for BH/Adorama - and makes sense. I'd disregard the pricing from ajritchie and americacameras - not authorized dealers, and might not be a complete, new camera with domestic warranty. I'm watching closely too. We seem to getting pretty close to final closeout pricing.
Yes, the BH/Adorama deal is what I was referring to.