Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2014, 04:12 PM   #31
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Veronica, can I just go back a step.

The problem with the K-50 was that it froze and wouldn't turn off, so you had to remove the battery, right?

And then you had exactly the same problem with your K-3?

That seems to me to be a spectacular coincidence. Too much so. It is as though the camera won't turn off because it is waiting for something to happen. I wonder whether it is something in the settings, or maybe the way the camera talks to the SD card.

You say you are using SanDisk Extreme Pro. Have you tried another type of SD card? Have you switched off Dust Removal on shutdown? You were going to do a factory reset - did you try that?

Current firmware installed on each camera? No problem with installation?

Just another thought off the top of the head. Have you tried using a different battery? Cleaned the terminals on the battery and the camera? Battery charger working properly?

I wouldn't give up on the entire brand without trying to get to the bottom of the problem.

Good luck

11-23-2014, 05:09 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I am sorry for the OP's problems. It is disappointing to not have expensive purchases live up to expectations. To put a few numbers out to place the dSLR market in perspective, the most recent member survey for dSLR reliability from ConsumerReports.org gives the following percentages for failure or significant repair:

Canon: 4%
Nikon: 6%
Sony: 4%

For Nikon, one of every 17 dSLR cameras in the survey were returned as defective or required warranty service. Pentax and Olympus are not included in their survey results due to inadequate sampling. That being said, Consumer Reports continues to rate both the K-50 and K-3 as "Best Buy" and "Recommended" respectively. If there were persistent quality issues, this would not be the case.

Steve
Oh wow that is interesting statistics I wonder was the survey run by Pentax 😜

---------- Post added 11-23-14 at 05:19 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote

The problem with the K-50 was that it froze and wouldn't turn off, so you had to remove the battery, right?

That seems to me to be a spectacular coincidence. Too much so. It is as though the camera won't turn off because it is waiting for something to happen. I wonder whether it is something in the settings, or maybe the way the camera talks to the SD card.

You say you are using SanDisk Extreme Pro. Have you tried another type of SD card? Have you switched off Dust Removal on shutdown? You were going to do a factory reset - did you try that?

Just another thought off the top of the head. Have you tried using a different battery? Cleaned the terminals on the battery and the camera? Battery charger working properly?

I wouldn't give up on the entire brand without trying to get to the bottom of the problem.

Good luck
I know right I couldn't believe the coincidence either but I got a few extra issues that come with the K-3 that I didn't have with the k-50 and in saying that same factory so maybe not that coincidental. Yes have used different batteries two different types between the k-3 and the k-50. About to do the factory reset have to get some data off before I do that though as I had great settings for Northern lights when over there
I haven't done a firmware update just for the fear of bricking it but if that doesn't improve I will have to. The k-50 when sent back the first time had a firmware update and still didn't fix the issue.
The Pentax flu card is getting the blame at the moment as I only had it in for a day then this all started so replacing SD card taking Flu card out going to give that a go after resetting and then try it with them back in. Don't worry I want answers and I want to make sure they aren't my fault 😜

---------- Post added 11-23-14 at 05:22 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Gray Quote
You are not alone. Electronic digital cameras are much more complicated compared to their SLR predecessors, and the chances you'll get a lemon are higher than they were. My first Pentax dSLR was the K-5. It had oil stains on the sensor and was replaced within a day. Unfortunately, the replacement suffered from the dreaded mirror flop problem, and was swapped within two months of me getting it, but only after hassling the regional Pentax agents. The final replacement K-5 was fine. But I was so impressed with the K-5 overall (despite oil stains and mirror flops) that I bought a second backup body, which had no problems. I've since replaced both K-5s with two K-5II bodies for the better autofocus in the K-5II. I've tried Canon DSLRs, but Pentax make cameras with great IQ and great ergonomics -- I really enjoy shooting with the K-5II. I can't say the same about Canon.

IMHO Pentax cameras are made by photographers for photographers. That's why I stay with them.
Oh wow you had some fun too I agree when they are working I wouldn't swap my pentax for anything.

---------- Post added 11-23-14 at 05:26 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
Well what a bummer, I do think that appealing to C.R. Kennedy and Pentax/Ricoh Japan is the best course of action at this stage (write formal letters and pop them into the post), hopefully they will together fix you up with a new camera. Not sure if I would jump ship or not if this happened to me, maybe would, that would depend on what came of the appeal to the manufacturers and what they decided to do or not to do.
I bought a used K-5 on this forum along with some used lenses (some new from CRK) and haven't looked back. I did come from Canon where i Had a 60D and an assortment of lenses all bought new, wouldn't hesitate to go Canon again in the future, but for now Pentax rules, all those lenses out there new and old and the mythical full frame model. Currently looking for a K 28mm f3.5 and there will be others like the 77mm and more.
Wish you the best of luck and hope you can stick around here

Edit: It would be a great help if someone as a representative of C.R. Kennedy did post here on a regular basis and assisted in enquiries like this and others.
It would be but they can't keep their own offices up to date with deals etc little lone keeping us informed. It would be a brave person to take us lot on wouldn't you agree lol
11-23-2014, 05:27 PM   #33
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sorver Quote
Ready to sell all my Pentax and go Nikon
What, with the Nikon D600 oil on the sensor debacle?

Last edited by clackers; 11-23-2014 at 05:33 PM.
11-23-2014, 06:05 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok have reset and touch wood all seems to be going well I haven't changed anything else so maybe the data needed a clean up. Fingers crossed for me. I really need to get out of the point and shoot mode of mind set and realise that a lot more happens in these fellows little minds than the basic ones. Thank u all so much for seeing me through my knee jerk motion and at this stage "I am sorry Pentax" you are still stuck with me. It was really interesting hearing about everyone's experiences though and I am truely sorry for those who's problems weren't easily solved. Photography at DSLR level isn't a cheap prospect so it does hurt when it doesn't go as expected. In saying that I guess I am super critical with everything my cameras do now with the experience I had with my k-50. As someone said its not a religion not a big deal to change so true but most of us pride ourselves on choice and often hard to admit you could have made a wrong one.

---------- Post added 11-23-14 at 06:11 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote

Good luck
Is there something that is better preferences to San Disk Extreme Pro I would love a faster card 😜

11-23-2014, 06:40 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Is there something that is better preferences to San Disk Extreme Pro
No.

And with the Extreme Pro, most of the performance is wasted anyhow, since the card can read and write data faster than the camera can.
11-23-2014, 07:01 PM   #36
Veteran Member

A few things occur to me, as well. Des is onto something regarding the cameras waiting for some kind of command before shutting down. First of all, San Disk has been hit with counterfeits more than the others. There's a slight chance that the card is not genuine (can happen to anyone).

I've been guilty of changing lenses and forgetting to turn off the camera. That can cause the K-50/30 to freeze; I don't let that bother me, as the freeze up is very rare.

Now, it is also entirely possible that a lens has a bad contact or some other partially faulty electronics that is tripping up the camera bodies.

In any event, when you get similar failures across two entirely different body designs, it is a good idea to search out other commonalities that would trigger the unusual response. This is especially likely when the repair shop is unable to find the culprit (which might nonetheless be a function of less than thorough troubleshooting).
11-23-2014, 07:11 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
A few things occur to me, as well. Des is onto something regarding the cameras waiting for some kind of command before shutting down. First of all, San Disk has been hit with counterfeits more than the others. There's a slight chance that the card is not genuine (can happen to anyone).

I've been guilty of changing lenses and forgetting to turn off the camera. That can cause the K-50/30 to freeze; I don't let that bother me, as the freeze up is very rare.

Now, it is also entirely possible that a lens has a bad contact or some other partially faulty electronics that is tripping up the camera bodies.

In any event, when you get similar failures across two entirely different body designs, it is a good idea to search out other commonalities that would trigger the unusual response. This is especially likely when the repair shop is unable to find the culprit (which might nonetheless be a function of less than thorough troubleshooting).
Oh wow didn't realise that failure to turn off when changing lenses could do that not a common practice of mine either but fully possible it has been done.
The sd card was bought brand new before I went overseas so different sd card to the one I was using also a extreme pro.
As I posted factory reset and all seems to be good now so hopefully stays that way but at least if it doesn't I will have a few different things to try and be aware of.

---------- Post added 11-23-14 at 07:12 PM ----------

Also worth noting they were similar but not the same.

11-24-2014, 05:10 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Oh wow didn't realise that failure to turn off when changing lenses could do that not a common practice of mine either but fully possible it has been done.
The sd card was bought brand new before I went overseas so different sd card to the one I was using also a extreme pro.
As I posted factory reset and all seems to be good now so hopefully stays that way but at least if it doesn't I will have a few different things to try and be aware of.
Scooter gives some very good advice. With two camera bodies showing the exact same behavior, I'd look for what's in common. Or try to remember exactly what you did just before the freeze-up. Is there a sequence of actions that triggers the problem. I've had a few freeze-ups with my old K200D, but was never able to find out what caused it. But it was so infrequent over many years of use that it never really bothered me.

With my K-30 ( essentially the same as your K-50 ), I was messing around with extension tubes once and found a configuration that consistently caused it to freeze up. It turned out one of my old extension tubes was faulty, and it looked to the camera like an open contact. I posted the story on this forum. I don't think I've had the camera freeze up on me under normal use.

So it could be that there's something else that caused both cameras to freeze up. Now, one could argue that the cameras should be robust enough to handle external problems more gracefully, but a DSLR is a complicated piece of equipment, and it would
take years to test every possible configuration of settings with every possible lens ( faulty or not ). The cameras would never make it to the field.

If it does turn out that you have 2 bad camera bodies, that would be a bad string of luck.
11-24-2014, 05:24 PM   #39

I understand you are really upset, two faulty new cameras is just too much for one person going to a trip. As said above, send an email to Ricoh explaining your situation, about a year ago I needed help and Pentax Europe was fast and very helpful when I had a faulty K-30 (a model also known by having some issues from factory). I believe Ricoh is investing on bringing Pentax back to life again, the proof is their new medium format camera, it just takes some time.

I've being hearing some QC issues with Nikons too, so maybe take also a look to Sony, Olympus, Panasonic and Fuji

Good luck!
11-25-2014, 02:38 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorver, the only thing I can think of at the moment that may not have been mentioned by others is to only use one SD card in the K-3 for a while (don't go dual cards). I would stick with the San Disk as the choice, too.
11-25-2014, 05:56 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Sigh had issues with the k-50 where wouldn't turn off bought camera for overseas holiday and started faulting before two weeks leaving sent back no issue found. Bought a k-3 since camera k-50 was unlikely to be back before holiday. K-50 sent back no issue found faulted with same issue several times whilst on holidays so videoed it and was replaced with new k-50. Happy k-3 worked without a fault whilst away. Had a great photographic night of lightning and then went on a photographic shoot next day could not believe it when the k-3 wouldn't turn off and had to remove battery dejavu all over again not only that it wouldn't take shutter shots it was like I had some pitiful sd card in and not an extreme pro. Happened several times over 😁. Seems 3 months is my limit with Pentax cameras. I am so happy with the quality shots I get from them but what's the point of having a camera that fails you constantly. It seems to be a quality control issue with the pentax cameras. About to video the issue when it happens again then off goes my k-3 😞. Ready to sell all my Pentax and go Nikon........ I know it's great it has warranty etc but then it is often in repair for a month and thanks to the first issue I now have a back up camera and I know all brands have their issues but this is really BS is it possible that I could be unlucky enough to get two duds or does pentax not go the mile. Granted I use my camera on a daily basis and whilst I am not a professional I am very keen photographer and probably do a years worth of photography in three months. I know I am probably asking the wrong people but would it be a knee jerk reaction to sell all of my gear and start over again. One very unhappy pentaxian. I worry if I hang on and keep having issues like this with the cameras when the warranty runs out where does it end. Not sure I want to invest any more into this brand. Was lined up for a bigma for Xmas but may be going another brand altogether and hang off.
Really kind of glad that i jumped ship. I was considering getting a k30 but by switching over to nikon.. well you know There is so much that can be appreciated about a nikon that cant be put into numbers. The aesthetics/user friendliness blew me away. It just seemed like they were designed to be used by humans not an experimental robot or something. Go get yourself a d750 and let the good times roll I didnt really appreciate how much pentax is lacking until i went to full frame.
11-25-2014, 06:08 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Years ago I was a Nikon guy, F1 with that big ole meter on top. Well, the meter kept going on the blink. Made a move to a Nikormat and could not stand the Copal shutter. Sounded like a canon going off. Made the move to Pentax and fell in love. Have never, ever, knock on wood, had a problem with a Pentax that was not created by me. Good luck with whatever you make the move to.
11-26-2014, 12:58 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by neostyles Quote
Really kind of glad that i jumped ship. I was considering getting a k30 but by switching over to nikon.. well you know There is so much that can be appreciated about a nikon that cant be put into numbers. The aesthetics/user friendliness blew me away. It just seemed like they were designed to be used by humans not an experimental robot or something. Go get yourself a d750 and let the good times roll I didnt really appreciate how much pentax is lacking until i went to full frame.
My DIL so badly wanted me to get a FF Nikon and several friends have nikons mind you some of them have had their issues too. So glad nikon is being nice to you the only thing that had me hesitate was the WR with pentax I love being in nature and as we all know she sometimes doesn't play nice. All is good for the moment but I think as my photography progresses I will go to FF but need to put a few years under my belt . If I had of had hindsight I would have as with the issue of having to buy the k-3 when the k-50 went wheels up I spent the same as a full frame so you live and learn guess at least I have a back up now 😀

---------- Post added 11-26-14 at 01:05 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Sorver, the only thing I can think of at the moment that may not have been mentioned by others is to only use one SD card in the K-3 for a while (don't go dual cards). I would stick with the San Disk as the choice, too.
Hehe love the name yeah I did try that too as I had the flu card for only a short while before the fun started happening so just went the San Disk alone but still had a few issue resetting seems to have done the trick for the moment but thank you for taking the time to reply really appreciate it
11-26-2014, 09:46 AM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is easy to sympathize with the OP over some distressing problems but all products can have difficulties. But one experience should not tar the brand. I have had consistent good luck with all of my Pentax cameras but that does not mean I think the brand is perfect. Get it fixed or return it.
11-26-2014, 10:14 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

I second your line of thoughts here.... a potential issue with the SD card.... (both k50 and k3 freezes and the common between the two is the same SD card used). Just for the sake of finding out the root cause of the freeze problem, I think the OP should at least try to get another SD card (even if it is the same brand) to see if the problem can be duplicated.

On the note of moving to Nikon, sure, people come and go; whatever suits your needs and makes you happy since you don't owe Ricoh/Pentax anything; there are ex-Pentax patriots in the Nikon camp waiting for you, just be happy and enjoy your photographic journey.