Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2014, 09:00 PM - 1 Like   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote

On the note of moving to Nikon, sure, people come and go; whatever suits your needs and makes you happy since you don't owe Ricoh/Pentax anything; there are ex-Pentax patriots in the Nikon camp waiting for you, just be happy and enjoy your photographic journey.
Have to admire your restraint and diplomacy - and then I just have to hold my tongue. Just wondering, how did neostyles compile three "likes" on this forum?

11-26-2014, 11:54 PM   #47
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I am always interested to hear the experiences of people who have changed systems, even if expressed in colourful language.
11-29-2014, 10:14 AM   #48

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
What, with the Nikon D600 oil on the sensor debacle?
Well, I had the oil stain problem with my K-5 (eventually it was replaced, after various quality issues), and then got the D600, and some oil issues, there, too. Nikon took care of that and I even got to speak to the technician (never happened when i had problems with my Pentax). So shutter was replaced, free of charge, and that's that! No further issues with any of my three Nikons (I still have two Pentax, but they get no use).

My wife reinvested in Pentax gear, and is now a happy K-30 owner, with the superb HD DA55-300, a perfect combination, if your into motorsport, or birds in flight . For wide shots (up to 75mm) she uses an E-M5, for really long shots she uses a Nikon V1, or V2, and a 70-300CX.

Seems to me that Nikon has some issues with their top-of-the-line DX cameras, not least if you're into wildlife photography, while the CX (aka Nikon 1 cameras) have found a devout following.

For instance: Natural Art Images: Brad Hill: Field Tests: The Nikon V1

Joe Marquez - The Smoking Camera | Nikon V1 Photographs

For me the D750 is a superb, semi-pro, full format camera, I hope one day be able to afford, but till then i mainly use Nikon 1, my D600, and Ricoh GR!

I dearly hope the Pentax / now Ricoh full format will be launched this time!

Last edited by Tord; 11-29-2014 at 01:05 PM.
11-29-2014, 10:28 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
Just wondering, how did neostyles compile three "likes" on this forum?
I don't know and don't want to find out... I have learned not to judge people but just by looking at their photos is good enough for me to know where they are.

12-02-2014, 06:03 AM   #50

QuoteOriginally posted by Sorver Quote
Sigh had issues with the k-50 where wouldn't turn off bought camera for overseas holiday and started faulting before two weeks leaving sent back no issue found. Bought a k-3 since camera k-50 was unlikely to be back before holiday. K-50 sent back no issue found faulted with same issue several times whilst on holidays so videoed it and was replaced with new k-50. Happy k-3 worked without a fault whilst away. Had a great photographic night of lightning and then went on a photographic shoot next day could not believe it when the k-3 wouldn't turn off and had to remove battery dejavu all over again not only that it wouldn't take shutter shots it was like I had some pitiful sd card in and not an extreme pro. Happened several times over 😁. Seems 3 months is my limit with Pentax cameras. I am so happy with the quality shots I get from them but what's the point of having a camera that fails you constantly. It seems to be a quality control issue with the pentax cameras. About to video the issue when it happens again then off goes my k-3 😞. Ready to sell all my Pentax and go Nikon........ I know it's great it has warranty etc but then it is often in repair for a month and thanks to the first issue I now have a back up camera and I know all brands have their issues but this is really BS is it possible that I could be unlucky enough to get two duds or does pentax not go the mile. Granted I use my camera on a daily basis and whilst I am not a professional I am very keen photographer and probably do a years worth of photography in three months. I know I am probably asking the wrong people but would it be a knee jerk reaction to sell all of my gear and start over again. One very unhappy pentaxian. I worry if I hang on and keep having issues like this with the cameras when the warranty runs out where does it end. Not sure I want to invest any more into this brand. Was lined up for a bigma for Xmas but may be going another brand altogether and hang off.
I guess my luck is no better than yours. I am on my 3rd K-50 body and this one will not AUTO focus properly in live view. I can manually focus it and it is fine and it is also fine while I use the viewfinder. This one also exhibits the same problem as the other two but not as much in that the metering from viewfinder mode to live view mode is only 1/3 stop different. One of the other K-50 was as much as 2 full stops in dim light and 1 stop in daylight... I refuse to send them in for repair. I sent them back for exchange. I bought a new camera and I expect it to work as new. If I wanted a repaired camera then I would have bought a factory refurbished one (maybe that is the way to go)...
12-03-2014, 06:15 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Buckaroo50 Quote
I guess my luck is no better than yours. I am on my 3rd K-50 body and this one will not AUTO focus properly in live view. I can manually focus it and it is fine and it is also fine while I use the viewfinder. This one also exhibits the same problem as the other two but not as much in that the metering from viewfinder mode to live view mode is only 1/3 stop different. One of the other K-50 was as much as 2 full stops in dim light and 1 stop in daylight... I refuse to send them in for repair. I sent them back for exchange. I bought a new camera and I expect it to work as new. If I wanted a repaired camera then I would have bought a factory refurbished one (maybe that is the way to go)...
Oh no that makes me so angry and sad in the same time I fully agree warranty in the year should be a replacement of a new camera that's what we pay the big bucks for. What also frustrates me is the time on our warranty lost while the REPAIRS are done.i must admit I don't use the live view much now I will have to go give that a try. Trouble is all of the companies seem the same. I wonder if there are certain lots sent to places that have the same problem which makes sense. Maybe to decrease the risk of repeat of the same problem we need to have it sent from a different place and different lot numbers. Sigh not good 😞
12-04-2014, 05:28 PM   #52
Veteran Member

I almost tossed the Pentax brand as my first purchase was a K5II that crapped out the first hour I had it.
Luckily Im stubborn and bought a K30 while waiting for repairs and never looked back. (sold K5II)
Today I just got my new K3 and was snooping around Ebay to make sure I got the best deal anywhere........lol.
Somehow I ended up on a K5II search...... ?
The prices the K5II are going for are starting to help me to learn to not hate the K5II after it screwed me over right off the bat .........Or is it just a Pentax bug ?
Dont leave.....dont give up.
Before I came to this forum I was on the Canon site......you wanna see problems ?................. Go look over there !

12-05-2014, 12:23 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
I am always interested to hear the experiences of people who have changed systems, even if expressed in colourful language.
In the days of P&S heyday, I was a Canon loyalist: Powershot A80, Canon G2, G9, then G12. The A80 was a very good camera, but it kept coming back to the service center for sensor issues. The local Canon here acknowledged the problem, and offered support way after warranty has past. They replaced the sensor three times, until finally the sensor malfunctioned again (records everything in red), and they said they cannot replace it anymore for lack of parts. Canon's support has been great, I must say. My Canon ZR (DV) died after 4 years. It was expensive when I bought it, and I didn't get my money's worth, but it was ok, as I proved myself an idiot when it comes to video.

The G2, G9 and G12 were all great and were working when I sold them. The G series have good quality. Then I got the 60D as first DSLR. The ergonomics, and the rather bland output (well, I was shooting with a kit lens then) was worse and I found some of the Canon friends here, "obnoxious", and that's putting it kindly. The build quality of the G is actually better than the 60D, as I found the latter's plastic cheap, and the gaps between parts objectionable. I'm not an engineer, but I was thinking that I could have done better. I decided I'll go with Nikon. I had only one experience with Nikon, a P&S long telezoom that I had refunded after two days when the flash won't pop up. Then, I remembered some Canon friends telling me that the Nikon support here in the Philippines is virtually non-existent. Looking back, yes, the Philippines is a "Canon" country and Canon's support here is exemplary, but I realized I wanted something else.

I bought a K30 thereafter.

Last edited by drypenn; 12-05-2014 at 12:38 AM.
12-05-2014, 12:33 AM   #54

Oh no that makes me so angry and sad in the same time I fully agree warranty in the year should be a replacement of a new camera that's what we pay the big bucks for. What also frustrates me is the time on our warranty lost while the REPAIRS are done.i must admit I don't use the live view much now I will have to go give that a try. Trouble is all of the companies seem the same. I wonder if there are certain lots sent to places that have the same problem which makes sense. Maybe to decrease the risk of repeat of the same problem we need to have it sent from a different place and different lot numbers. Sigh not good 😞
Since posting the comment I did some further investigating and testing. I have a Tamron 28-200, Sigma 28-200, Promaster 28-210 and Pentax 50-200. At the 200mm mark the Tamron, Sigma, Promaster miss auto focus while in live view mode but the Pentax 50-200 nails the auto focus. So I guess the issue is with the lens. Got me stumped though and can't figure why those other lens' miss focus in live view mode. I just bought a Pentax 75-300 and when it gets here I will test that and see if that will focus in live view... I got about 8 other lens's and once I sift through them and decide which ones to keep I will sell the others and buy more toys... hahaha If interested I can say that the Pentax 50-200 takes the best pictures at 200mm then the Promaster, then Sigma and last is Tamron... So I will sell the Sigma and Tamron on ebay or something. I got at great deal on the Pentax 75-300 ($37)... Buy and sell and buy more toys... lol

---------- Post added 12-05-14 at 02:38 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by az1895 Quote
I almost tossed the Pentax brand as my first purchase was a K5II that crapped out the first hour I had it.
Luckily Im stubborn and bought a K30 while waiting for repairs and never looked back. (sold K5II)
Today I just got my new K3 and was snooping around Ebay to make sure I got the best deal anywhere........lol.
Somehow I ended up on a K5II search...... ?
The prices the K5II are going for are starting to help me to learn to not hate the K5II after it screwed me over right off the bat .........Or is it just a Pentax bug ?
Dont leave.....dont give up.
Before I came to this forum I was on the Canon site......you wanna see problems ?................. Go look over there !
Well you will have to give us the low down on your K-3 vs K-30.. I almost bought a K-3 but I in stead got a K-50. I'm a low pixel count, large pixel size guy...
12-05-2014, 12:39 AM   #55
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I get shots from my pentax that are fantastic so I would never ditch pentax. However, I do get a lot of frustration from my gear so I can understand wanting to try the other guy's stuff.
12-05-2014, 06:32 AM   #56
Forum Member

I would only avoid a maker due to problems if there were reports that the maker consistently has more problems than others, or if the response had been poor (as seems to have been the case regarding your K-50).

I find Pentax to have the best handling, generally speaking, and a pleasing picture look, and that gets it a place in my heart. My experience is from film, a K-30 and a Q10. The simplicity with which you can choose ISO range and otherwise set speed and aperture is unmatched, for me. Maybe the Fuji X family comes close, I don't know.

Other than that, I'm a Canon lover. It's unfair to criticize them on the mount thing. When they discontinued FD, the market wasn't like it is today, where bodies get obsolete at the speed of light. That meant there was no reason people couldn't keep using their old bodies for decades (I still shoot my father's AE-1 Program and that thing has the most beautiful viewfinder). Putting electronics into FD would have been a real stretch, and nobody ever liked the FD mount anyway, FDn was better but still not as good as EF is. And with EF everything really works everywhere, you don't have to worry about it - unless of course you have an EF-S lens, but there's no point in using one of those in a FF body (you might crop, but you'd still have to worry about mirror clearance). The thing with EF-S is that it allows cheaper and lighter lenses for bodies which aren't FF, something you don't get to the same degree with Pentax DA or Nikon DX.

I can't for the life of me figure out how to use Nikon DSLRs. I have a Pronea S which I adore.
12-05-2014, 06:57 AM   #57
Veteran Member

Never had a serious issue with any of my pentax DSLRS, even my K100D or K200D never had issues and those are both older cameras now. My old K7 froze once and I haven't really had the K5 long enough to have any issues with it yet, just got it a few months back about the same time I got the sony A7 and the sony has seen more use. All of my pentax gear except the K200D has been bought used on here, eBay, or KEH. I deal less with eBay because I've been burned a few times and I find the sellers on here to be very honest and KEH has a pretty good return policy. Never dealt with Pentax Warranty because I never had any issues with the K200D.
No issues with my Sony either, but I've only had it since october and bought it brand new.

Last edited by GateCityRadio; 12-05-2014 at 07:04 AM.
12-05-2014, 11:09 AM   #58
Forum Member

Is this just a lemon issue? This is worrying....
12-05-2014, 05:37 PM   #59
Veteran Member

My DIL so badly wanted me to get a FF Nikon and several friends have nikons mind you some of them have had their issues too. So glad nikon is being nice to you the only thing that had me hesitate was the WR with pentax I love being in nature and as we all know she sometimes doesn't play nice. All is good for the moment but I think as my photography progresses I will go to FF but need to put a few years under my belt . If I had of had hindsight I would have as with the issue of having to buy the k-3 when the k-50 went wheels up I spent the same as a full frame so you live and learn guess at least I have a back up now ��

---------- Post added 11-26-14 at 01:05 AM ----------

Hehe love the name yeah I did try that too as I had the flu card for only a short while before the fun started happening so just went the San Disk alone but still had a few issue resetting seems to have done the trick for the moment but thank you for taking the time to reply really appreciate it
I just went out with with my d600 in the rain and it worked like a charm. Pentax is really trying to draw a lot of attention to "hey look at us our cameras are weather sealed!" in an effort to stand out i guess, but the truth is that canon/nikons have been weather sealed for a long time. The 5dmk3 is one of the toughest cameras ever. DrTv did a test and it literally stood up to ice and fire.. Pentax's long running claim that x camera works down to -20 degrees or something is kind of superfluous because no one but an eskimo is going to really shoot at negative whatever degrees.. Pentax has also made a big deal of stailization, but canon and nikon have long since had stabilized lenses, and now with sony's 5 axis stabilization there is really less reasons to own a pentax. Pentax can't seem to get the design right either.. I mean, that is i thought the k-30 had a pretty nice design but then with the k-3 they well.. what i recently saw on gizmodo kind of summed up my thoughts
I dunno about the look of it. I realize it doesn't matter at all, but it just bothers me that Pentax has such a dated look to one of its flagship products. The boxy frame, the hard edges, the thick logo on the front... if "industrial" was what they were going for, they hit "1979" instead. By contrast, I thought the K-30 was superbly designed. It looks modern, compact, beautiful... I wish they'd adopt that design ethos across the board. Until then, Pentax cameras will carry that ancient feel, even if they're loaded with the latest technology. It might be a "retro throwback," but it just feels wrong to me.
I guess for most photographers are primarily just that, photographers, but im also a designer. The very bland look of alot of the pentax gear has always kind of bugged me. Especially the 18-55 kit lens. I really do love the look of nikkors. Very sleek and modern. I got so many compliments at school at how my d600 looks "really professional."

I honestly dont think i did enough research into canon on the other hand.. mostly just dismissed it because of pricing, but im fairly happy with my decision even in hindsight. The 5dmk2 or mk3were just too expensive.. Plus the canon af menu with it's zillions of different cases and "acceleration" just seemed a little too complicated for me. Nikon was the fit for me.. Simplicity is bliss because its lets you focus on what you love to do instead of trying to work around the camera.

Last edited by neostyles; 12-05-2014 at 06:24 PM.
12-07-2014, 05:51 AM   #60
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by neostyles Quote
I just went out with with my d600 in the rain and it worked like a charm. Pentax is really trying to draw a lot of attention to "hey look at us our cameras are weather sealed!" in an effort to stand out i guess, but the truth is that canon/nikons have been weather sealed for a long time. The 5dmk3 is one of the toughest cameras ever. DrTv did a test and it literally stood up to ice and fire.. Pentax's long running claim that x camera works down to -20 degrees or something is kind of superfluous because no one but an eskimo is going to really shoot at negative whatever degrees.. Pentax has also made a big deal of stailization, but canon and nikon have long since had stabilized lenses, and now with sony's 5 axis stabilization there is really less reasons to own a pentax. Pentax can't seem to get the design right either.. I mean, that is i thought the k-30 had a pretty nice design but then with the k-3 they well.. what i recently saw on gizmodo kind of summed up my thoughts
I dunno about the look of it. I realize it doesn't matter at all, but it just bothers me that Pentax has such a dated look to one of its flagship products. The boxy frame, the hard edges, the thick logo on the front... if "industrial" was what they were going for, they hit "1979" instead. By contrast, I thought the K-30 was superbly designed. It looks modern, compact, beautiful... I wish they'd adopt that design ethos across the board. Until then, Pentax cameras will carry that ancient feel, even if they're loaded with the latest technology. It might be a "retro throwback," but it just feels wrong to me.
I guess for most photographers are primarily just that, photographers, but im also a designer. The very bland look of alot of the pentax gear has always kind of bugged me. Especially the 18-55 kit lens. I really do love the look of nikkors. Very sleek and modern. I got so many compliments at school at how my d600 looks "really professional."

I honestly dont think i did enough research into canon on the other hand.. mostly just dismissed it because of pricing, but im fairly happy with my decision even in hindsight. The 5dmk2 or mk3were just too expensive.. Plus the canon af menu with it's zillions of different cases and "acceleration" just seemed a little too complicated for me. Nikon was the fit for me.. Simplicity is bliss because its lets you focus on what you love to do instead of trying to work around the camera.
One of the deciding factors with my pentax was its ability to handle the minute temps going to Alaska in Sept to photo northern lights and down the inside passage with the glaciers very cold brrrrr I needed to be sure it could handle that kind of chill with the lens going to be open to get that perfect shot of the lights etc, so I can understand in general the negative temps probably aren't an issue or an important factor to some but must say it helped their sale for me and I am pretty sure there are a few other Northern Light nutters who get out in the sub zero temps to catch that magic moment other than that or taking the photo of a freezer 😜 but appreciate your thoughts on it too I imagine that would be a general consensus for most. I thought simple elegance would appeal to a designer nudge nudge just teasing you.😜