Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2014, 05:22 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Shake reduction use with Hi continuous drive mode

I have noticed that, if I leave SR (Shake reduction) on in Hi continuous Drive mode, my pictures are blurry. If I turn off SR, the pictures are sharp. I believe the mirror slap is confusing/disturbing the shake reduction. Has anyone else noticed this? I have a Pentax K-50.

Last edited by dfp771; 11-24-2014 at 05:23 PM. Reason: additional info.
11-24-2014, 06:35 PM   #2
Site Supporter

are you panning? are you using a tripod?
11-24-2014, 06:40 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I keep it off. SR is not something that should be left on, most of the time it can result in soft/blurry photos. I learned this with the K-7 during 2009.
SR is to help steady a shot that you're already trying hard to steady by hand. I won't help with camera motion in any other scenario.
11-24-2014, 07:54 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
sergy,
No panning. Not on tripod. Just sitting in a chair holding the camera by hand as steady as possible...

11-24-2014, 08:14 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
I keep it off. SR is not something that should be left on, most of the time it can result in soft/blurry photos. I learned this with the K-7 during 2009.
SR is to help steady a shot that you're already trying hard to steady by hand. I won't help with camera motion in any other scenario.
The K-7 had a particular and documented problem with that for specific shutter speeds, but it isn't really a general problem. "Most of the time" is a major over statement. It DOES help if you use it properly.

As far as the problem the poster is having, I'm not sure. Sometimes I turn on continuous drive (usually low, however) in order to help get sharper shots (the 2 or 3 shot is often sharper than the first), I'll be curious to do some tests with Hi mode on the K-5...
11-24-2014, 08:44 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
I noticed this by accident the other day. I rarely use continuous (hi or lo) drive mode since I am a studio portrait photographer. I assumed that, for most shooting handheld, SR should be on to minimize camera shake. I guess this is not the case.