Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
12-04-2014, 11:44 AM   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by iamwhoiam Quote
If you bought the K-50 would you still "lust" after a K-3?
This is the life I live now.

12-04-2014, 12:57 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Says discontinued but refers to the used department.
Interesting. I went from google on the site, searched cameras, and it was like the deal was still there. Now, when I click on the link, it's discontinued. Perhaps it's some glitch.

Repeated it again from the main page to DSLRs, yes, it's gone now.
12-05-2014, 11:08 AM   #33
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TinkeringTurtle Quote
This is the life I live now.
This thread is dangerous for me.

How can I hide this thread
12-06-2014, 07:28 AM   #34

This last summer I bought my first of two K-50 buying the second late in the fall, both on sale. The K-50 is a gem simply a gem. I shoot in places that expose my cameras and lens to the water of Alaska and the dust of Utah. Love the K-50 for the protection from the elements. The K-50 also uses AA batteries in a Pentax holder and honestly that is one of the 3 reasons to buy a K-50. The reasons I shoot the K-50 are: 1) the image quality is superior ... 2) the AA battery option... I spend many days per year in the back country where charging is impossible....3) handling and ergonomics so so good. I have shot all the zooms and now have settled on the 20-40 and the 60-250 both lens give me the images I want plus both are water and dust resistant they both pair well with the k-50. The 20-40 is the gem of the fleet in my opinion. The design of the K-50 really fits the jack-pine savage in many of us......

12-06-2014, 06:56 PM   #35
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Flyfisher22 Quote
This last summer I bought my first of two K-50 buying the second late in the fall, both on sale. The K-50 is a gem simply a gem. I shoot in places that expose my cameras and lens to the water of Alaska and the dust of Utah. Love the K-50 for the protection from the elements. The K-50 also uses AA batteries in a Pentax holder and honestly that is one of the 3 reasons to buy a K-50. The reasons I shoot the K-50 are: 1) the image quality is superior ... 2) the AA battery option... I spend many days per year in the back country where charging is impossible....3) handling and ergonomics so so good. I have shot all the zooms and now have settled on the 20-40 and the 60-250 both lens give me the images I want plus both are water and dust resistant they both pair well with the k-50. The 20-40 is the gem of the fleet in my opinion. The design of the K-50 really fits the jack-pine savage in many of us......
How much did you buy 20-40 and 60-250 for? Are they capable of replacing 50mm primes?
12-06-2014, 10:15 PM   #36
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Hexism Quote
Are they capable of replacing 50mm primes?
No. 20-40 is f2.8 at 20mm going up to f4 at 40mm. 60-250 is constant f4. For subject isolation at around 40-60, you need a faster aperture. (At longer focal lengths, e.g. 100mm+, you don't need apertures as fast to get good subject isolation.)

And the various fast primes lenses in the 40-60mm region are great value. Even the cheap ones almost all good - eg. Pentax M50/A50 f1.7, DA50 f1.8, just to mention a few. The best of them (e.g. FA 43, DA*55) are amongst the best of all Pentax lenses.

Last edited by Des; 12-06-2014 at 10:27 PM.
12-07-2014, 06:36 AM   #37
Veteran Member

I have got both cameras now in under 6 months and I had trouble deciding between the k-50 and the k-3 long story cut short k-50 failed wasn't going to have two cameras the same so went the k-3 as heading off in holidays and didn't expect k-50 to be back in time. In short I barely have my k-50 out anymore I feel the quality of the end product is much better whether that is because I am at a different phase of my photography could have something to do with it as well. The thing I love about the k-50 was being able to get a inbody carriage for rechargeable AA batteries I loved the choice of having a small plastic thing to get me out of trouble if my camera battery went flat or if I had trouble with my charger the camera wasn't left unusable AA from nearly any store 😀. Also much lighter than the k-3 with a battery pack on. Quality was excellent and was deliriously happy with the results until I started shooting with the k-3. While I had the k-50 I always did wonder if I should have got the k-3 and now I have both I should have got it first off not because of the issues I had with my k-50 but because even though much heavier it would have been the best choice. I guess you need to ask how much photography am I going to do and also if you get the k-50 it may leave you some spare cash for some nice lenses. With hind sight I would go straight for the k-3 but in saying that the k-50 got me from point and shoot to dslr either way you will be happy and quality is great on both but if you want the best just go for the k-3 and don't look back it will last you a long time. Cameras are a bit like cars there will always be a better deal and something newer within months so whatever you choose be happy and don't look back. Good luck.

12-07-2014, 09:44 AM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by Hexism Quote
How much did you buy 20-40 and 60-250 for? Are they capable of replacing 50mm primes?
I bought both lens on sale from Adorama, I will always wait and never pay full retail. I have a Pentax 50mm 1.4 that really fits will with the inside shooting at weddings, holidays,and near dark outside no extra light shots. I do love the primes, but feel that taking $1000-plus lens out on a boat or into the desert is asking for repair bills. The 20-40 has close to prime optics and I just do not have as many images with the 60-250 to tell yet......I started with Pentax during the Vietnam era and will die with them for sure......
12-07-2014, 10:03 AM   #39
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kriss Quote
K-50 now or K-3 next year?
Or the FF next year right...
12-07-2014, 12:04 PM   #40
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Flyfisher22 Quote
I bought both lens on sale from Adorama, I will always wait and never pay full retail. I have a Pentax 50mm 1.4 that really fits will with the inside shooting at weddings, holidays,and near dark outside no extra light shots. I do love the primes, but feel that taking $1000-plus lens out on a boat or into the desert is asking for repair bills. The 20-40 has close to prime optics and I just do not have as many images with the 60-250 to tell yet......I started with Pentax during the Vietnam era and will die with them for sure......
Nice! I was looking at the lenses section of the forum and the price trend is a good reference.

I believed you did a lot of research before you made your purchase. Is the 50mm 1.4 a good upgrade from the kit lens?

I was taking some night photography and it seems like there are comments saying that my kits lens are not fast enough.

Here is the thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/41-photo-critique/281548-night-my-first-p...-help-out.html

Thanks!
12-07-2014, 12:34 PM - 1 Like   #41

Is the 50 1.4 a good lens

In my opinion it works great.....I do not believe the glass is as good and the DA* but that said it really is a nice product for the money....... I for one that believe you get what you pay for......That said is 10-15% increase in sharpness worth the money? I do not just buy lens, so for me it takes a lot of research. No one lens does it all like there is not one boat for every application.....Lens and cameras are the same as the event and purpose dictate the combination to use. I have several point and shoot for specific uses (mostly outside) and would never take a K-50 into a kayak or on a trout stream so the point remains shoot the lens and camera for the job. A lot of my river rafting buddies that shoot pro material do it with a GO-PRO and I have watched them load hundred of pounds of gear where their gear would not get destroyed. Back to the DA 50 1.4 it has it's place and I love it for very low light soft animal and people pics.....
12-19-2014, 05:15 PM   #42
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Let us know what you decide to do.
I bought the K-50! Thanks for everyone's advice!
12-19-2014, 05:35 PM - 1 Like   #43

QuoteOriginally posted by Kriss Quote
I bought the K-50! Thanks for everyone's advice!
Congratulations. Hope you enjoy it.
12-26-2014, 11:44 AM - 1 Like   #44
Veteran Member

Congratulations. Hope you enjoy it.
Congrats.
Take it from a k30 owner........you don't need to think you missed out on anything with the k3.
I use my k30 all the time as my k3 sits silently weeping in the dark closet.
12-26-2014, 03:11 PM - 1 Like   #45

No camera does it all but the K-50 is a beauty.

I am getting ready for a trip through the Mid-states and on to Florida. My two K-50 are packed one with a 20-40 the other has a 60-250 quite honestly I love the two combinations. I have not shot the 60-250 a lot yet, but this trip will be it's test. Every night I read my manuals on the bodies trying to get the last little bit of production out of the gear. Recently I faced a nasty back lit situations and took about 50 shots getting it right, but honestly the bodies performed beautifully when I got it dialed. Be patient do your reading, talking and experimenting. The plus for digital is taking hundreds of shots and not having to spend money developing...... I was an intelligence photo in the Navy and facing 400 frames of B&W was a nightmare.......this is so easy. Have fun with your new body, but realize it will not do everything......but there is a camera that will fit the specific shot you need to make...... I am shooting a Canon S100 for my in pocket rocket and a Pentax
WG- 3 for use where I want underwater shots....... and that is just a piddle of the options out there...... Like my wife says when I want to buy a new golf club "Baby it's not the arrow it's the Indian." Take care