Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
11-28-2014, 10:22 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
K-50 now or K-3 next year?

The K-50 is at an insanely low price at the Pentax webstore ($299). Do I get it now to replace my K100D Super or do I wait next year for an insane deal on the K-3?? I've been looking at these for a week now: K-5IIS, K-30, K-50, and K-3. Then, of course, someone on another thread suggested the KS-1. My husband thinks a new lens for my K100D is the way to go and get a new body next year. But he's cheap.

11-28-2014, 10:30 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
$299 for a BNIB K-50 is a great deal. I think you'll enjoy the step up, particularly the ISO and low light capability improvements. My recommendation is to get the K-50 now. Only question is - Red or White?
11-28-2014, 10:33 AM   #3

Have you handled both of the cameras? Would the K-50 meet your needs? Do you need all of the K'3s features or would the K-50 suffice? If you bought the K-50 would you still "lust" after a K-3? I was tempted to get a K-50 because of the price at a local camera store $299 after a $100 mail in rebate. This was for the body and the 18-55 kit lens. Since I really would prefer the K-3 I passed on this, then regretted it but the store is now out of stock. I also wanted a white one and the store was only selling the black model and I didn't want the lens and didn't want to deal with the rebate. The white K-50 at $299 is tempting but I figure the K-3 may continue to go down in price and I can put that $299 aside for that or buy the other camera I have been considering. The K-50 is definitely a step up for you and at $299 it really is a bargain!
11-28-2014, 10:38 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kriss Quote
The K-50 is at an insanely low price at the Pentax webstore ($299). Do I get it now to replace my K100D Super or do I wait next year for an insane deal on the K-3?? I've been looking at these for a week now: K-5IIS, K-30, K-50, and K-3. Then, of course, someone on another thread suggested the KS-1. My husband thinks a new lens for my K100D is the way to go and get a new body next year. But he's cheap.
What lenses do you have and what lenses would you buy?

11-28-2014, 10:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

A lens would win over a body in most cases, but that assumes that you are comparing a few generates difference in bodies only. The difference from K100D to K-50 is about 6 generations up (including Mpixels, ISO performance, controls, AF performance, WR and probably more). The K-50 will be a huge jump in so many ways. No brainer IMHO.

Good luck.
11-28-2014, 11:11 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

k-50 would be a large step forward in terms of the technology. And that price is remarkable. I personally doubt the k-3 is going to go much lower than it is now, which is already an insane price for it.

And unless you need any of the k-3 features like double SD card slots or 24mp, there is not a big difference in the actual image quality. I would go with the k-50 and maybe pick up a nice lens to go with it.
11-28-2014, 11:13 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
k-50 would be a large step forward in terms of the technology. And that price is remarkable. I personally doubt the k-3 is going to go much lower than it is now, which is already an insane price for it.

And unless you need any of the k-3 features like double SD card slots or 24mp, there is not a big difference in the actual image quality. I would go with the k-50 and maybe pick up a nice lens to go with it.
That does sound like a good plan.

Enjoy the huge leap in performance starting this year instead of next.

I know I am enjoying my upgrade to the K-50.

11-28-2014, 01:07 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the input thus far! I haven't handled either because I'm not close enough to a store to do so and don't think I can get to one in the next few days. I figured if I could do so, I'd be able to make up my mind. (I might just have the family go with me on a field trip after all.) I have only the 18-55 kit lens that came with the K100D, and researching new lenses got me into this mess. The one I plan to buy (either now or later) is the Pentax DA 35 2.4. Since I already said to hubby that one of the new cameras was at a great price of $499 (that was the K5IIS I was looking at a few days ago), I guess I could sweet-talk him into the K50 AND the lens. That lens is $140 right now at B&H. Didn't someone earlier say, "No brainer" ?? Now to tell that to my cheap husband.

---------- Post added 11-28-14 at 03:15 PM ----------

Just to answer a few more of these questions: I don't need all of the K-3's features, and there are some I'd probably never use. Would I still lust after it if I purchased the K-50? That I don't know. I just looked at rentals as a way to compare; however, that wouldn't really make sense cost-wise. I figure by the time I make a decision, stock will be sold out -- as what happened to you. Sigh.

QuoteOriginally posted by iamwhoiam Quote
Have you handled both of the cameras? Would the K-50 meet your needs? Do you need all of the K'3s features or would the K-50 suffice? If you bought the K-50 would you still "lust" after a K-3? I was tempted to get a K-50 because of the price at a local camera store $299 after a $100 mail in rebate. This was for the body and the 18-55 kit lens. Since I really would prefer the K-3 I passed on this, then regretted it but the store is now out of stock. I also wanted a white one and the store was only selling the black model and I didn't want the lens and didn't want to deal with the rebate. The white K-50 at $299 is tempting but I figure the K-3 may continue to go down in price and I can put that $299 aside for that or buy the other camera I have been considering. The K-50 is definitely a step up for you and at $299 it really is a bargain!
11-28-2014, 01:22 PM   #9
Veteran Member

The 18-55mm that comes with the K-50 is WR.

I moved to the K-50 from the K-7. While the K-7 ergonomics are better, the shutter is louder and I miss the top LCD, the K-50 produces superior images and is a breeze to use.
At $299 I'd say it's a no brainer. Use the saved money for a lens (I bought a Sigma OS lens, which is great for stabilised video)
11-28-2014, 01:46 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Thanks for the input thus far! I haven't handled either because I'm not close enough to a store to do so and don't think I can get to one in the next few days. I figured if I could do so, I'd be able to make up my mind. (I might just have the family go with me on a field trip after all.) I have only the 18-55 kit lens that came with the K100D, and researching new lenses got me into this mess. The one I plan to buy (either now or later) is the Pentax DA 35 2.4. Since I already said to hubby that one of the new cameras was at a great price of $499 (that was the K5IIS I was looking at a few days ago), I guess I could sweet-talk him into the K50 AND the lens. That lens is $140 right now at B&H. Didn't someone earlier say, "No brainer" ?? Now to tell that to my cheap husband.

Just to answer a few more of these questions: I don't need all of the K-3's features, and there are some I'd probably never use. Would I still lust after it if I purchased the K-50? That I don't know. I just looked at rentals as a way to compare; however, that wouldn't really make sense cost-wise. I figure by the time I make a decision, stock will be sold out -- as what happened to you. Sigh.
The K-50 and DA35/2.4 are cheapest at Pentax's webstore right now. The 35 is a sweet little lens. That combination ought to be a huge upgrade for you all for around $400ish.
11-28-2014, 04:51 PM   #11

The K50 is also significantly lighter than the K3 and this has real advantages if out and about a lot. Where the K3 can score is (1) if you are planning to purchase and use top end lenses which can make the best of its superior resolution (2) and / or will purchase heavier lenses which would balance better on the K3. The K5ll or K5lls is just as good as the K3 unless again you need the K3's superior resolution and / or need to make would use of its anti-aliasing technology. However with the latter, with K5ll or K5lls you commit yourself at the time of purchase.

Buy the camera / outfit you think you would use most. All possibilities mentioned in previous posts are capable of recording great pictures.....just look at the appropriate threads in the forums for each camera.
11-28-2014, 06:11 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I can't help you with how the bodies compare, but the lens and body combo at $440 is below what you previously told your husband, so you are saving him money😉
11-28-2014, 06:29 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you do not need what the K3 offers uniquely, then definitely get the K50. By the time you are ready to upgrade further something may have changed more at the top end that you might want. I chose the K30 over the K5II offerings initially, then upgraded to the K3, which I like but also use for specific purposes. The K50 is a great camera.
11-28-2014, 06:32 PM   #14

The Pentax store also has an excellent price on the HD 55-300 but it's currently on backorder so you will probably never get it but then one never knows.
B & H is currently offering the DA 50/1.8 for $133.00.
11-28-2014, 07:36 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The K-50 is a no brainer as it will be light years worth of improvements over your K100D, so much that your old lenses will seem faster. There's only about two lenses worth buying that are cheaper than the K-50 right now (35/2.4 and 50/1.8). Buy one of those too!