Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2014, 09:38 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Precision camera repair nightmare

I've always wanted a pentax DSLR since the K10d came out, and finally jumped on a K50 + 2 lense deal for $600 a few months ago. It seemed like a dream come true, until the camera's focus motor broke 6 weeks after using it.

The store would not take it back because it was beyond their return period, and I did not expect them to. I contacted Ricoh and they referred me to Precision Camera Repair in CT.

So I send it in and it is received at the beginning of October. I've called in three times since and each time they tell me that a part is on backorder and that the camera should be repaired when the part comes in. They DO give me definite dates on when their "parts" are coming. But they also move back the date when I call on that specific date because "something happened," "there were a slip-up," "the part didn't come in with the rest of the shipment."

So my question to them was how can you put out a shingle saying you are a full repair facility not only for Pentax, but a host of other major camera brands, and not even keep the basic parts on-site? How? I asked this very politely to one of the service techs and she bristled defensively, "we're just the repair people." I asked if having parts on stock and getting them in timely manner was part of a repair business's responsibilities and she grudgingly agreed but said her hands were tied until the parts come in.

The only way to get in touch with Precision Camera Repair is by phone call, if they answer the phone. A couple times that I called them, someone would pick up the phone after it rang 2-3 times and then just hang up the receiver. Other times, no answer. Their email application that you can fill out NEVER gets a response.

I've contacted Ricoh in regards to this as well, who customer service rep also told me that his hands were tied, because Precision Camera Repair handles the repair side and that is their responsibility. I've asked for this to be escalated to management but no calls have been made to me.

So I view this as much a Precision Camera Repair as a Ricoh Pentax problem.

My dream of owning a Pentax has been turned into a nightmare where I have not had the use of my new camera, and most likely will not have the use of it for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's.

I've even suggested that Precision Camera Repair or Ricoh send me a replacement K50, and that they can keep the one that I sent them, since they seem to want to hold on to it so much. I don't have to tell you that they were less than receptive to this suggestion.

Moral of story? I'll never buy a Pentax or Ricoh product again, whether it be a DSLR or anything else this company decides to make.

I don't know if other camera makers have better service, but I may not even get a DSLR again because I don't want to have to go through the same thing again regardless of brand.

12-01-2014, 11:11 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BYilg Quote
So my question to them was how can you put out a shingle saying you are a full repair facility not only for Pentax, but a host of other major camera brands, and not even keep the basic parts on-site?
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

I am sorry that your camera failed after such a short period of time. That is not what you expected when you bought it

What you have experienced (no parts on hand) is the norm within the camera repair industry, regardless of camera make. Unfortunately, 30+ days for a major repair requiring parts is also the norm. Nobody warehouses for the wide range of cameras that might be brought in for repair and major parts are almost always shipped from Japan or elsewhere in Asia. I have a friend who waited several months for a warranty shutter repair on a Canon 7D. With any luck Precision will get your camera back to you soon, but I don't know that I would ask them to "rush" it. After all, you do want them to do it right.

Steve

P.S. I hope you did not join here just to post a rant. We are truly a helpful and supportive bunch and like to share both our photos and our experiences.

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-01-2014 at 11:16 AM.
12-01-2014, 11:39 AM   #3
CJC

I've always wanted a pentax DSLR since the K10d came out, and finally jumped on a K50 + 2 lense deal for $600 a few months ago. It seemed like a dream come true, until the camera's focus motor broke 6 weeks after using it.

The store would not take it back because it was beyond their return period, and I did not expect them to. I contacted Ricoh and they referred me to Precision Camera Repair in CT.

So I send it in and it is received at the beginning of October. I've called in three times since and each time they tell me that a part is on backorder and that the camera should be repaired when the part comes in. They DO give me definite dates on when their "parts" are coming. But they also move back the date when I call on that specific date because "something happened," "there were a slip-up," "the part didn't come in with the rest of the shipment."

So my question to them was how can you put out a shingle saying you are a full repair facility not only for Pentax, but a host of other major camera brands, and not even keep the basic parts on-site? How? I asked this very politely to one of the service techs and she bristled defensively, "we're just the repair people." I asked if having parts on stock and getting them in timely manner was part of a repair business's responsibilities and she grudgingly agreed but said her hands were tied until the parts come in.

The only way to get in touch with Precision Camera Repair is by phone call, if they answer the phone. A couple times that I called them, someone would pick up the phone after it rang 2-3 times and then just hang up the receiver. Other times, no answer. Their email application that you can fill out NEVER gets a response.

I've contacted Ricoh in regards to this as well, who customer service rep also told me that his hands were tied, because Precision Camera Repair handles the repair side and that is their responsibility. I've asked for this to be escalated to management but no calls have been made to me.

My dream of owning a Pentax has been turned into a nightmare where I have not had the use of my new camera, and most likely will not have the use of it for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's.

I've even suggested that Precision Camera Repair or Ricoh send me a replacement K50, and that they can keep the one that I sent them, since they seem to want to hold on to it so much. I don't have to tell you that they were less than receptive to this suggestion.

Moral of story? I'll never buy a Pentax or Ricoh product again, whether it be a DSLR or anything else this company decides to make.

I don't know if other camera makers have better service, but I may not even get a DSLR again because I don't want to have to go through the same thing again regardless of brand.
I own 5 Pentax cameras and, thank God, never have needed a repair. I do buy the extended warranty with every camera. I sure hope this is not what I will get if I need service. Camera companies, in the past, would give great service to professionals. Nowadays, we're all just consumers that can be manipulated by megalithic corporations with no soul - just a bottom line. And Ricoh is scurrying to stay afloat in a canikon universe. I did have a horrible experience buying a lens off the OFFICIAL website. I bought the 31 mm lens last Christmas and it had focus issues. Returned it - requested a refund from THE THIRD PARTY MORONS THAT RUN THE SITE FOR PENTAX SALES. They kept stalling me and making excuses. One idiot even said "well that's a lot of money you want back" !!!!! It is a dumbed down world, full of incompetents where no one can see the overall picture for achieving results in a big corporation. I FINALLY JUST CALLED MY CREDIT CARD COMPANY AND THEY PROMPTLY GAVE ME MY MONEY BACK. Anyone else on the forum have any such bad experience with The Pentax Store???
12-01-2014, 01:11 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CJC Quote
Anyone else on the forum have any such bad experience with The Pentax Store???
That is probably a question better asked on another thread and another section of the site. That aside, I don't think that many users here generally do business there. Prices are higher than other online merchants and selection for some items is poor.

Steve

12-01-2014, 08:56 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Master card covers purchases for damages for 90 days after purchase, Amex longer, check your card, assuming you used one for the purchase

You may have to get your camera back to send to them

Hans
12-08-2014, 09:18 AM   #6

I know how you feel Precision has had my K-3 since Oct. 30th, waiting for a flash trace circuit board. So far at least 3 separate dates for when part would be in. And today a new one Dec. 13th. Ricoh no help or interest in helping. They have their money. I really like the camera but not sure I would want to invest in another Pentax now.
Of course I would, that's the problem. Ricoh knows this. We who love our Pentax cameras are being foxed by a company that has no respect for their customers. Hope things change soon.
maria
12-08-2014, 09:42 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mariakruse Quote
They have their money.
Precision doesn't charge your card until the repairs have been done and the shipped.
12-08-2014, 10:22 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Precision doesn't charge your card until the repairs have been done and the shipped.
I know, I was mostly speaking of Ricoh. They took good money for a defective product. The camera is under warranty so probably no cost. I guess Precision is just having trouble getting caught up with all the stuff they received from Arizona. I would imagine they will get it together soon. Never having had any camera problem with any of my cameras in the last 15 years I was unaware that repair places don't stock all the parts needed. Rather na´ve I suppose.
maria

12-08-2014, 09:16 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Although my experience was in Canada it took 5 weeks for my repair from drop off at the camera store to pick up when it was ready (believe me I was there on the day they called me). I wasn't happy with how long it took, but it was within the length of time the camera store said it would take to be repaired. It is very disappointing when things fail regardless how long or how little you've had it. It happens with every product and unfortunately it would be unrealistic to expect every repair facility to carry every possible part that could fail.

I hope things move along and that you have your camera back soon.
12-09-2014, 07:23 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by bigted Quote
Although my experience was in Canada it took 5 weeks for my repair from drop off at the camera store to pick up when it was ready (believe me I was there on the day they called me). I wasn't happy with how long it took, but it was within the length of time the camera store said it would take to be repaired. It is very disappointing when things fail regardless how long or how little you've had it. It happens with every product and unfortunately it would be unrealistic to expect every repair facility to carry every possible part that could fail.

I hope things move along and that you have your camera back soon.
Thanks bigted, I'm sure it will be back eventually. Had an email from the CEO of Precision say he would look into what they could do, but I imagine it just takes the time it takes. By the way, love the Jack Benny tag line.
maria
12-12-2014, 05:17 PM   #11
mks

Precision Camera Problems

I have three words of advice if you are considering Precision Camera: avoid, avoid, avoid. I sent in a lens for repair after it was dropped. For several weeks the website showed my lens to be in transit to them, even though I had the delivery confirmation. Eventually I called. The customer service rep seemed sympathetic and said she'd email back with an update. She didn't, but the website did then show the lens to be "in repair." When the lens came back, the original damage was fixed, but the aperture ring was now goofed up--won't click into place and just slides freely. This, despite the repair slip declaring the lens to have been restored to factory spec. I used the online contact feature at the website to ask about this and got no response. So, I called. This time the customer service rep was decidedly unsympathetic. She told me that their repair work was guaranteed for 90 days, but I'd have to pay for shipping if I wanted them to fix what they broke. Ridiculous.