Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2014, 04:44 PM   #1
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 9
K50 and Lightroom white balance issues

Hi all,

I've been lurking on the pentax forums for months now waiting until I received my k50. I've been enjoying the camera so far but have run into some unexpected issues which are really putting a damper on my shooting. When I edit RAW files I've taken with the K50 in Lightroom the white balance just seems wrong. I originally used the adobe standard profile for calibration which I have done for years with my Nikon 1 without any issues. The adobe standard doesn't quite look right with the k50 files (too magenta) so I switched it to embedded which makes all the shadows very green tinted. I can fix it somewhat by tweaking white balance but the settings that come with lightroom (cloudy, daylight, flash) etc. are all useless and don't seem to correspond to the k50's white balance settings at all. I have been using auto WB since I always just change it in LR. I tried switching to adobe RGB ...again not really relating to RAW but I figured it didn't hurt to try. At this point my photos are coming out OK but they lack the colors and pop of the RAW files from my prior camera which has a sensor 1/3 the size of my k50. I'm considering returning it and going back to nikon because I can't figure this out. I asked pentax and they said "we don't test with lightroom". I asked adobe and they didn't answer so now I ask you all! What are the ideal settings for my k50 to work in lightroom or better yet do you have a camera calibration profile that works well for you?

Thanks in advance.

12-02-2014, 05:07 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Miguel's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Near Seattle
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,729
I'd suggest you take a few shots in different lighting environments that would be similar to places you would normally shoot. Include a grey card in the scene.
In LR, use the white balance dropper on that grey card in each scene. Tweak each scene to your favor and then save the settings as a LR preset you can use from there on out. You can purchase more complicated camera profiling tools, but this should get you close enough.
LR is a great tool that works well with 98% of all camera systems. I don't have a K50, but I have 160,000 images in my LR database representing a couple of dozen camera models. Judging from my K-3 files, I don't see a major difference in rendering of either the embedded or Adobe standard profiles. I've not had to throw up my hands at any white balance issues yet.
Color is fairly malleable with software these days, so to me it is a matter of learning how LR works with your new camera and then creating customized presets.
BTW, is your monitor calibrated with a hardware device?
Perhaps you can attach a couple of problematic images and one of your Nikon 1 that you think is great. Moderately high jpegs will do, or you can put up the Raw files on a service somewhere for downloading.

M
12-02-2014, 05:21 PM   #3
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 9
Original Poster
Thanks, I am planning on asking for a color calibrator for my monitor for christmass so I'm hoping that will help. I will try to get some pics on later. At the moment I don't own a grey card but I am planning on getting one or the xrite maybe. I think the biggest change I see between the embedded and adobe standard is a significant shift from blue to purple and the white balance shifts everything greenish. I also see the oranges go more towards yellowy green than red. Not sure if this is how the pentax coloration is supposed to be but I will keep playing with it. I did try to shoow some RAW + files yesterday to see if that made any difference but it was a rainy day so it was hard to tell. I will try again with better light
12-02-2014, 05:51 PM   #4
Pentaxian
dcshooter's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Washington DC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,675
This thread should help you. K-30 and K-50 are essentially the same camera.

QuoteOriginally posted by jphil2 Quote
Hi all,

I've been lurking on the pentax forums for months now waiting until I received my k50. I've been enjoying the camera so far but have run into some unexpected issues which are really putting a damper on my shooting. When I edit RAW files I've taken with the K50 in Lightroom the white balance just seems wrong. I originally used the adobe standard profile for calibration which I have done for years with my Nikon 1 without any issues. The adobe standard doesn't quite look right with the k50 files (too magenta) so I switched it to embedded which makes all the shadows very green tinted. I can fix it somewhat by tweaking white balance but the settings that come with lightroom (cloudy, daylight, flash) etc. are all useless and don't seem to correspond to the k50's white balance settings at all. I have been using auto WB since I always just change it in LR. I tried switching to adobe RGB ...again not really relating to RAW but I figured it didn't hurt to try. At this point my photos are coming out OK but they lack the colors and pop of the RAW files from my prior camera which has a sensor 1/3 the size of my k50. I'm considering returning it and going back to nikon because I can't figure this out. I asked pentax and they said "we don't test with lightroom". I asked adobe and they didn't answer so now I ask you all! What are the ideal settings for my k50 to work in lightroom or better yet do you have a camera calibration profile that works well for you?

Thanks in advance.


12-02-2014, 06:05 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,698
I had similar problems when I updated my computer and moved to LR 5. The auto WB from the camera was being applied properly, but the default monitor profile used by the OS was having trouble with the wide gamut color spaces (Adobe RGB and ProPhoto RGB (Melissa)) used by LR. The solution was a monitor calibration. You can use a calibration tool (e.g. Spider) or just use the calibration utility that is included with Windows.

BTW...the capture color space set on the camera only applies to JPEGs. As for the LR camera profiles, the Adobe standard and Pentax embedded are not a whole lot different and treat white balance essentially the same.

One thing you might want to try is to shoot JPEG and import those files into LR. I bet you will see the same sort of off colors, even without the RAW conversion. That would be evidence that your monitor calibration could be improved.


Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-02-2014 at 06:12 PM.
12-02-2014, 07:40 PM   #6
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Middle of Siberia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 157
I have the similar problem with my K-30.
Most of the shots look more or less Ok in LR. Not the same colors as in the camera JPEG, but I'd say they are acceptable.

But for the RAWs taken in some "non-standard" conditions, especially during sunsets and sunrises, LR shifts the dominating color into purple, so the clouds and the sky start to look dull. The most disappointing thing is during the import you first see the normal colors (ones stored in the JPEG preview inside RAW files), and then LR applies its color profile, and all the beauty is gone.

I've tried a lot of different color fine-adjustments in LR, but I cannot repeat the colors I want (please note I haven't calibrated my monitor, but the camera JPEGs look just fine, so I expect to see the same from RAWs).

Ok, here's a solution - when I see the LR trashes the colors that I don't want to sacrifice, I open these pictures in Digital Camera Utility v5, immediately export them into 16-bit TIFFs, and then process these TIFFs in LR. In this case, colors are 99% close to ones in the camera JPEGs
12-03-2014, 02:54 PM   #7
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 9
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
This thread should help you. K-30 and K-50 are essentially the same camera.
thanks for that. I did see that post earlier and I found the k50 rawstudio camera profiles but they look realllly bad. I definitely will try to calibrate my monitor as well.
12-03-2014, 02:55 PM   #8
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 9
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ABel Quote
I have the similar problem with my K-30.
Most of the shots look more or less Ok in LR. Not the same colors as in the camera JPEG, but I'd say they are acceptable.

But for the RAWs taken in some "non-standard" conditions, especially during sunsets and sunrises, LR shifts the dominating color into purple, so the clouds and the sky start to look dull. The most disappointing thing is during the import you first see the normal colors (ones stored in the JPEG preview inside RAW files), and then LR applies its color profile, and all the beauty is gone.

I've tried a lot of different color fine-adjustments in LR, but I cannot repeat the colors I want (please note I haven't calibrated my monitor, but the camera JPEGs look just fine, so I expect to see the same from RAWs).

Ok, here's a solution - when I see the LR trashes the colors that I don't want to sacrifice, I open these pictures in Digital Camera Utility v5, immediately export them into 16-bit TIFFs, and then process these TIFFs in LR. In this case, colors are 99% close to ones in the camera JPEGs
Thanks for the tip, thats sort of what I was thinking of doing as well. I was going to export the tiffs from silkypix but guess what.... it won't read the dng's from the pentax even though it is the pentax edition of silkypix. not sure if its because I imported the files into lightroom but silkypix just says it can't read those files.... I will try DCU5 and see if the pics are any better.

12-03-2014, 02:57 PM   #9
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 9
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I had similar problems when I updated my computer and moved to LR 5. The auto WB from the camera was being applied properly, but the default monitor profile used by the OS was having trouble with the wide gamut color spaces (Adobe RGB and ProPhoto RGB (Melissa)) used by LR. The solution was a monitor calibration. You can use a calibration tool (e.g. Spider) or just use the calibration utility that is included with Windows.

BTW...the capture color space set on the camera only applies to JPEGs. As for the LR camera profiles, the Adobe standard and Pentax embedded are not a whole lot different and treat white balance essentially the same.

One thing you might want to try is to shoot JPEG and import those files into LR. I bet you will see the same sort of off colors, even without the RAW conversion. That would be evidence that your monitor calibration could be improved.


Steve
thanks steve. I will check that out. I need a nice sunny day so that I can test both the old camera and new one and then also use the jpeg /raw files to see if I can get them to look the same or not.
12-06-2014, 11:12 AM   #10
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 9
Original Poster
gold (48 of 80).jpggold (67 of 80).jpg

these are some pics that might show what I mean. Not a horrible cast... just to my eye it doesn't seem right. The bridge picture is dull and flat and I feel it looks orangey/ yellowish green. Not what the scene actually looked like that day. If I changed the white balance any more than this it comes out way too magenta..
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
12-06-2014, 06:05 PM   #11
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 9
Original Poster
so I think I found a workaround to this issue.... I saw a post about it on another forum and this is what seems to work-

open adobe's DNG profile editor
navigate to the adobe camera raw profiles and load a profile ( I chose the 5d mk3 because I like the colors)
open a dng from the pentax in the editor
export the profile as a new name
Change the profile under camera calibration in lightroom


Hopefully this did the trick. I will report back if it doesn't work in the long run
12-07-2014, 08:36 AM   #12
New Member




Join Date: Jul 2013
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20
What versions of light room are you using? There was a big change in ver 4 and latter with auto white balance.
12-07-2014, 10:54 AM   #13
Pentaxian
dcshooter's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Washington DC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,675
I'm looking at these on a calibrated monitor right now, and I agree that they don't seem to have a bad color cast to them, so white balance actually seems pretty good. It seems like it's more a saturation issue; the yellow to red portion of the spectrum seems to be boosted quite a bit more than does the blue in the sky. If you look at standard out of camera jpgs from a Canon or Nikon, you'll tend to see the blues boosted as well, giving a very saturated overall but more balanced tone profile. Since those are the images that we most often see, that's the kind of color balance we are conditioned to expect. So if you are creating a custom profile, I'd either suggest boosting the blue saturation, or if you prefer a more muted image, bring the reds, oranges and yellows down some.

Also, it appears that the images, particularly #2, were shot in the "golden hour" when the sun is low in the sky, which tneds to result in very strong colors in the red to yellow range, so that might be part of it as well.


QuoteOriginally posted by jphil2 Quote
gold (48 of 80).jpggold (67 of 80).jpg

these are some pics that might show what I mean. Not a horrible cast... just to my eye it doesn't seem right. The bridge picture is dull and flat and I feel it looks orangey/ yellowish green. Not what the scene actually looked like that day. If I changed the white balance any more than this it comes out way too magenta..

Last edited by dcshooter; 12-07-2014 at 02:42 PM.
12-07-2014, 02:19 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,698
QuoteOriginally posted by jphil2 Quote
gold (48 of 80).jpggold (67 of 80).jpg

these are some pics that might show what I mean. Not a horrible cast... just to my eye it doesn't seem right. The bridge picture is dull and flat and I feel it looks orangey/ yellowish green. Not what the scene actually looked like that day. If I changed the white balance any more than this it comes out way too magenta..
Both look fine on my monitor and system.

I noticed you are using a Mac. Monitor Gamma issue perhaps?


Steve
12-14-2014, 07:35 AM   #15
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 9
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Both look fine on my monitor and system.

I noticed you are using a Mac. Monitor Gamma issue perhaps?


Steve
I am on mac, I put a spyder calibrator on my list this year so maybe the wife will feel generous !
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
adobe, balance, camera, colors, files, green, issues, k-30, k-50, k50, k50 and lightroom, lightroom, lightroom white balance, pentax k30, pentax k50, settings, tint, whitebalance
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lightroom White Balance MadMathMind Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 2 02-16-2014 11:35 AM
Auto white balance issues zvon Pentax K-r 4 02-15-2012 01:12 PM
White balance issues :( 2cay2 Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 26 07-19-2011 06:32 PM
white balance - lightroom 5teve Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 8 06-30-2009 11:19 AM
White balance issues Soundguy Photographic Technique 13 04-07-2008 06:51 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:08 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top