Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2014, 01:28 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hexism Quote
... does this mean the front element is WR too? Is it resistant to snow if I were to take picture and there are light snow that falls on the front element?
Of course. Snow is just water and will wipe off. The point of a protection filter is not to keep water off, it is to protect against scratches, breaks, bumps, etc.

You may be over thinking this. Don't obsess. In the broader scheme of things, this is a pretty minor matter.

12-04-2014, 03:02 PM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
I am not contradicting myself. I really did purchase filters with every lens. I still have all of them. They're back in their original boxes.

I used UV Haze filters on my film lenses back in the day. When I invested in digital, I bought filters for everything. I was certain any lens that didn't have a filter on it was going to be destroyed by dust or flying insects or coffee-splatter or my cats or whatever else. Eventually, after I had to remove a filter every time I saw some glare or reflection, I just quit putting them back on the lenses. I no longer have lens-filter anxiety.

I still use a UV Haze filter when shooting on film.
Thanks. So how was the experience over time? Ever had anything bad happened to your lens?

QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
Of course. Snow is just water and will wipe off. The point of a protection filter is not to keep water off, it is to protect against scratches, breaks, bumps, etc.

You may be over thinking this. Don't obsess. In the broader scheme of things, this is a pretty minor matter.
Thanks. This is my first DSLR so forgive me if I am preparing like its doomsday :/

I guess I'll just go without filter and save me some bucks.
12-04-2014, 03:17 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks. This is my first DSLR so forgive me if I am preparing like its doomsday :/ I guess I'll just go without filter and save me some bucks.
Now you have a plan. But get the hood if you can find one at a good price. It will increase contrast and reduce flare.

Also, look at the cost of the lens. The kit lens is often found used for $75. So worst case and someone decides to clean your lens with sandpaper and actually damages it you buy another one. If you were talking a high end $1,000 lens then OK I can see it might be worth it for the peace of mind.

And look at how you treat your camera. Do you carry it in a camera bag or toss it on the floor of your dusty pickup? Do you habitually use the lens cap when not taking a picture or just don't bother? If the lens cap is on at all times except when taking a picture and the camera is in the bag except when you are using it what is the exposure time to potential harm? Very little.

Bottom line, you do not need a 'protective' filter on modern lenses and it will degrade the image to some degree in some or all situations depending on the quality of the filter. However, if you feel better having a filter on the front and don't mind the potential impact to your images, by all means buy and install one.

But get the hood anyway. That will actually provide a useful benefit.
12-05-2014, 09:07 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks. So how was the experience over time? Ever had anything bad happened to your lens?
Nothing that a filter would have prevented.
At the time, it just made me feel better having a filter on each lens.
There is nothing wrong with putting a filter on the front of your lens. Just take it off when it is causing reflections.

12-05-2014, 10:41 AM   #20
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Now you have a plan. But get the hood if you can find one at a good price. It will increase contrast and reduce flare.

Also, look at the cost of the lens. The kit lens is often found used for $75. So worst case and someone decides to clean your lens with sandpaper and actually damages it you buy another one. If you were talking a high end $1,000 lens then OK I can see it might be worth it for the peace of mind.

And look at how you treat your camera. Do you carry it in a camera bag or toss it on the floor of your dusty pickup? Do you habitually use the lens cap when not taking a picture or just don't bother? If the lens cap is on at all times except when taking a picture and the camera is in the bag except when you are using it what is the exposure time to potential harm? Very little.

Bottom line, you do not need a 'protective' filter on modern lenses and it will degrade the image to some degree in some or all situations depending on the quality of the filter. However, if you feel better having a filter on the front and don't mind the potential impact to your images, by all means buy and install one.

But get the hood anyway. That will actually provide a useful benefit.
QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
Nothing that a filter would have prevented.
At the time, it just made me feel better having a filter on each lens.
There is nothing wrong with putting a filter on the front of your lens. Just take it off when it is causing reflections.
Thank you jatrax and Aqua Dome.

The analogy is great.

My current stand:

I don't know much about photography yet, so, I think, I really should stop buying more stuff.

I might not even be able to tell whether its my lack of skills getting bad shots or the filter.

Less accessories, less problems, less things to take care of.

The lens are WR and I got a rocket blower too, so, it should be enough for now to take care of my gears.

Do stop me if I am going the wrong direction.
12-05-2014, 03:58 PM   #21

Is this the correct hood?

Amazon.com : Fotodiox Lens Hood for Pentax Ph-Rba SMC DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL II Zoom Lens (Replaces Pentax 38741) : Camera Lens Hoods : Camera & Photo

Also, is it standard? Like there are no higher grades of hood?

How about in terms of contamination?

It is winter now, if snow or wind blows debris at the front element, would it damage it?

If your lens is a WR, you want the PH-RBC 52 mm, not the RBA. The RBA will not fit on a WR, although it is the right hood for the non-WR. Weather is not supposed to damage the front element. On the other hand a filter up front is likely to introduce ghosting and scatter, especially if it is not kept scrupulously clean.
12-05-2014, 05:24 PM   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Spacedave Quote
If your lens is a WR, you want the PH-RBC 52 mm, not the RBA. The RBA will not fit on a WR, although it is the right hood for the non-WR. Weather is not supposed to damage the front element. On the other hand a filter up front is likely to introduce ghosting and scatter, especially if it is not kept scrupulously clean.
Thank you! I got it.