Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2014, 04:45 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've had mine about 3 weeks and my advice is to read the manual; keep it handy and refer to it often. Read about the setting and what they do then practice them on your camera until you know where every menu is and what each setting does. It's a daunting task because there are many features and combinations. There are things you can do with some settings that excluded with others. Even an expert can get confused so don't be discouraged.

The second piece of advice, which you've already done by posting here, is ask questions; if you don't understand, ask again. Make an absolute nuisance of yourself if that's what it takes. There's a wealth of knowledge here and most are happy to share.

12-05-2014, 04:49 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Download the manual in PDF from the Pentax website. Its easier to search and you can put it on a smartphone to consult in the field.
12-05-2014, 06:05 AM   #18
Pentaxian

regarding your original part of your question for recommended setting; Review: Pentax K-50 - Recommended Settings | PentaxForums.com Reviews

If you are new to dslrs and photography I highly recommend your watching these; https://www.youtube.com/user/photoexposed/playlists

Starting with the series on camera controls, Then exposure, how to use camera lenses, sharp pictures, light & flash, composition, photography tips and what ever else you find.

Long but excellent;

Then try these starting at the bottom; https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC807CCF3F5186201

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 12-05-2014 at 06:20 AM.
12-05-2014, 08:10 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
regarding your original part of your question for recommended setting; Review: Pentax K-50 - Recommended Settings | PentaxForums.com Reviews

If you are new to dslrs and photography I highly recommend your watching these; https://www.youtube.com/user/photoexposed/playlists

Starting with the series on camera controls, Then exposure, how to use camera lenses, sharp pictures, light & flash, composition, photography tips and what ever else you find.

Long but excellent; The Perfect Picture - By Bryan F. Peterson - YouTube

Then try these starting at the bottom; https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC807CCF3F5186201

Charge your batteries fully before you use them. they will probably be pretty well charged anyway. It may take a couple of hours for each. Then rotate. I have OEM and Wasabi both work great.
As to modes put your camera on Program to start, you will get well exposed pics most of the time from this setting. Take a class at your local college or Jr College (adult ed.) They will teach you about "manual". Once you understand manual you will understand the relationship between F stops and shutter speeds. Then ISO (the lower the better) , AV (aperture priority) and TV(Time Value/ shutter speed) will make sense to you and when to use each and the trade offs you may have to make.
Most of the time you will probably use AV once you are familiar with how to use it. TV is used mostly when taking pics of fast moving things i.e. sports etc. or trying to take pics of waterfalls where you want extra long shutter speeds to smooth everything out.
Hope this helps

---------- Post added 12-05-2014 at 11:15 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Hexism Quote
Hey guys, its finally here!

Is there any setup guide that you strongly recommend and mistakes that newbies make?

A couple questions on top of my head:

1. I bought wasabi extra battery pack. Charge the new batteries to full before use? How long does it usually take? Do I charge a full day first?
2. Charge the original battery full before use? How long does it usually take? Do I charge a full day first?

I am a little hesitant on unwrapping things in case there are things I should take note of.

Someone please save me fasttttt
Charge your batteries fully before you use them. they will probably be pretty well charged anyway. It may take a couple of hours for each. Then rotate. I have OEM and Wasabi both work great.
As to modes put your camera on Program to start, you will get well exposed pics most of the time from this setting. Take a class at your local college or Jr College (adult ed.) They will teach you about "manual". Once you understand manual you will understand the relationship between F stops and shutter speeds. Then ISO (the lower the better) , AV (aperture priority) and TV(Time Value/ shutter speed) will make sense to you and when to use each and the trade offs you may have to make.
Most of the time you will probably use AV once you are familiar with how to use it. TV is used mostly when taking pics of fast moving things i.e. sports etc. or trying to take pics of waterfalls where you want extra long shutter speeds to smooth everything out.
Hope this helps

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/281314-k-50-finallly...#ixzz3L2LBAV2u

---------- Post added 12-05-2014 at 11:21 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeD Quote
Hope this helps

Hope this helps

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/281314-k-50-finallly...#ixzz3L2LBAV2u
Sorry to "oldbayrunner" I meant to reply to the original poster and made a mistake. I think your ideas are very good ones. I tried to edit but for some reason the system wouldn't let me.

Regards
Mike

12-05-2014, 10:59 AM   #20
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dakight Quote
I've had mine about 3 weeks and my advice is to read the manual; keep it handy and refer to it often. Read about the setting and what they do then practice them on your camera until you know where every menu is and what each setting does. It's a daunting task because there are many features and combinations. There are things you can do with some settings that excluded with others. Even an expert can get confused so don't be discouraged.

The second piece of advice, which you've already done by posting here, is ask questions; if you don't understand, ask again. Make an absolute nuisance of yourself if that's what it takes. There's a wealth of knowledge here and most are happy to share.
Actually, I have yet to unpack the package lol.

Yes sir, I will read the manuals before I unpack

And yeah, I feel great about the Pentax community! Definitely reinforces my decision of going Pentax!

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Download the manual in PDF from the Pentax website. Its easier to search and you can put it on a smartphone to consult in the field.
OMG, this is a neat trick! Never though of it. You are creative problem solver!

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote

Long but excellent; The Perfect Picture - By Bryan F. Peterson - YouTube

Actually, I had read the review before.

Do you agree with the recommended settings?

Thank you Docrwm for searching this information. I got my weekend plans settled! Haha.

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeD Quote
Hope this helps

Hope this helps

---------- Post added 12-05-2014 at 11:21 AM ----------

Sorry to "oldbayrunner" I meant to reply to the original poster and made a mistake. I think your ideas are very good ones. I tried to edit but for some reason the system wouldn't let me.

Regards
Mike
Thank you Mike for taking your time to write a detailed write up.

I am actually still in college and don't have time to take up more classes.

However, lately I had been going through sleepless night not to study, but reading on guides and learning online lol.

Docrwm gave me a good set of videos to begin with, anything you would like to add?

QuoteOriginally posted by drypenn Quote
Yes! (Good decision not to buy a filter! Get a hood instead, if your lens doesn't have one!)
Yay! I will know once I unpack it. Fingers crossed. Please be a hood in there.

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Lens Quote
K50 is my first dslr too, if you dont have any experience i suggest you to watch some youtube videos to cover the basics such as ISO, f, shutter speed and focal lenght. There are many free books online also. After this take a look for a post proccesing suite like lightroom or whatever you like
I dont know what kind of photography you do but the kit lens should be ok for anything.
Happy shooting
Thanks! Any books that you had great experience with?

I just bought "Bryan Peterson - Understanding Exposure"
12-07-2014, 04:55 PM   #21

I just got a K50 also a few months ago and am still learning new things. This seems to be a great camera with so many different settings. Enjoy!
12-07-2014, 07:53 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations, the K-50 is a great camera, in yoour hands it's capable of great images, but you have to learn how to use it. It doesn't happen overnight, be patient. Good choice on the Wasabi batteries! One suggestion, download the K-50 manual from the Ricoh website, the pdf copy is searchable. Put a copy on your PC and smartphone.

Take pictures and post them here. Especially pictures that you want to improve. There are a lot of helpful people here that can give specific tips on specific photos. Read a lot of the threads about techniques in camera help central, read the how to articles, get involved in the photo challenges. Have fun! Using this website will speed up your learning a lot!
12-07-2014, 08:06 PM   #23
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barnee442 Quote
I just got a K50 also a few months ago and am still learning new things. This seems to be a great camera with so many different settings. Enjoy!
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Congratulations, the K-50 is a great camera, in yoour hands it's capable of great images, but you have to learn how to use it. It doesn't happen overnight, be patient. Good choice on the Wasabi batteries! One suggestion, download the K-50 manual from the Ricoh website, the pdf copy is searchable. Put a copy on your PC and smartphone.

Take pictures and post them here. Especially pictures that you want to improve. There are a lot of helpful people here that can give specific tips on specific photos. Read a lot of the threads about techniques in camera help central, read the how to articles, get involved in the photo challenges. Have fun! Using this website will speed up your learning a lot!
Thank you

If you dont mind, can you please visit this thread? It is my first trial yesterday.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/41-photo-critique/281548-night-my-first-p...-help-out.html

Actually I am gonna go out and try again in P mode

Stay tune for the second post!

12-07-2014, 09:58 PM   #24
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hey everyone, v2 is up! Please provide suggestions and area of improvements for v3

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/41-photo-critique/281742-night-trying-lea...ml#post3063910