Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-04-2014, 09:11 PM   #1
Forum Member

K-50 is finallly here!!!

Hey guys, its finally here!

Is there any setup guide that you strongly recommend and mistakes that newbies make?

A couple questions on top of my head:

1. I bought wasabi extra battery pack. Charge the new batteries to full before use? How long does it usually take? Do I charge a full day first?
2. Charge the original battery full before use? How long does it usually take? Do I charge a full day first?

I am a little hesitant on unwrapping things in case there are things I should take note of.

Someone please save me fasttttt

12-04-2014, 09:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Charge until the light goes out. You have two chargers so that should make it more fun the next day.

15 Beginner FAQ's for Pentax DSLR Users - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/252763-tips-beginner.html
12-04-2014, 09:37 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I got my k50 less than a year ago and love it. My former dslr was the k100d super. What are you upgrading from?
12-04-2014, 09:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Congratulations, enjoy this is a very good machine

12-04-2014, 09:49 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by towa Quote
Congratulations, enjoy this is a very good machine
Thanks! Not sure what to do though.

QuoteOriginally posted by bradshea Quote
I got my k50 less than a year ago and love it. My former dslr was the k100d super. What are you upgrading from?
From nothing.

This is an adventure for me

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Thanks for the links!!!

The light did not went off... I read somewhere that we shouldn't fully charge our battery if we are not using it the next day. What do you think?
12-04-2014, 09:52 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Hexism Quote
From nothing.

This is an adventure for me

The light did not went off... I read somewhere that we shouldn't fully charge our battery if we are not using it the next day. What do you think?
Awesome, you couldn't pick a better starting place.

As for the batteries, charge them fully.
12-04-2014, 10:05 PM   #7

its a great camera. i have had mine since july i love it . a few thoughts buy the book understanding exposure by bryan peterson. and when u are taking your shots let your first shots be in auto mode. then u will see what settings the camera is using on your picks. then when u shift to Av Tv TAv and m mode u will have an idea of the general area your shutter speed aperature and iso sb in and can vary them from there . enjoy !!

12-04-2014, 10:09 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bradshea Quote
Awesome, you couldn't pick a better starting place.

As for the batteries, charge them fully.
Please guide me sensei

QuoteOriginally posted by bigdog2590 Quote
its a great camera. i have had mine since july i love it . a few thoughts buy the book understanding exposure by bryan peterson. and when u are taking your shots let your first shots be in auto mode. then u will see what settings the camera is using on your picks. then when u shift to Av Tv TAv and m mode u will have an idea of the general area your shutter speed aperature and iso sb in and can vary them from there . enjoy !!
This right?

Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera: Bryan Peterson: 0884798534707: Amazon.com: Books

Good idea.

By the way, there is nothing I need to worry about? Once the battery is charged. Just join everything together and shoot in auto? lol.

Explain to me like I am baby please. Because, I am, really, a baby in DSLR

---------- Post added 12-05-14 at 12:14 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
For this tips, 15 Beginner FAQ's for Pentax DSLR Users - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

What do they mean by manual lens, older generation lens?

I am looking through the database and it is just... too much acronyms and I am not sure how to read and understand all the codes.

I know they are grouped alphabetically but what do they mean?

Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
12-04-2014, 11:22 PM   #9
Huy
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations! You've got the best camera for the money.
K-50 is my first camera ever too (I did not even own a p&s camera before)
I suggest you begin shooting in Av mode. Set ISO to auto from 100-5000 because your camera is an excellent low-light performer. DOF was the first thing I learned when I got my K-50.
However, beware the LBA bug, and don't spend too much time on this forums like me
12-04-2014, 11:35 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Just keep shooting. You have unlimited "film". Keep learning. When at times you'll feel that your shots are disappointing, keep buying more lenses keep trying! ...

As for the battery, it's Li-ion. Charge it anytime. Li-ion loves to be topped up, unless you're really storing it for a long time (6 months or so), when ideally, it should be left at 50%.

12-04-2014, 11:47 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Huy Quote
Congratulations! You've got the best camera for the money.
K-50 is my first camera ever too (I did not even own a p&s camera before)
I suggest you begin shooting in Av mode. Set ISO to auto from 100-5000 because your camera is an excellent low-light performer. DOF was the first thing I learned when I got my K-50.
However, beware the LBA bug, and don't spend too much time on this forums like me
Depth of Field? Lens Buyers Addiction (which s often accompanied by GAS- Gear Buyers Syndrome)

lol

yeah. I don't know why, when I am trying to learn and ask questions, people kept bringing the topic of getting better lens, get a prime etc.

QuoteOriginally posted by drypenn Quote
Just keep shooting. You have unlimited "film". Keep learning. When at times you'll feel that your shots are disappointing, keep buying more lenses keep trying! ...

As for the battery, it's Li-ion. Charge it anytime. Li-ion loves to be topped up, unless you're really storing it for a long time (6 months or so), when ideally, it should be left at 50%.

I see. If in storage for less than 1-3 months, it is safe to keep it ~100% right?

Ill make sure to rotate them every 1 cycle

No bad stories about Wasabi battery to the body right?

I gonna stop buying stuff for now. Spent too much...
12-05-2014, 12:05 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I see. If in storage for less than 1-3 months, it is safe to keep it ~100% right?
Perfectly safe. I'll be more worried if it's completely drained for 1-3 months.

No bad stories about Wasabi battery to the body right?

One precaution I've been practicing is not to leave a battery (especially a 3rd party) INSIDE a camera while in storage.

I gonna stop buying stuff for now. Spent too much...
I always say this everytime I buy something. My self just wont believe myself anymore.
12-05-2014, 12:14 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by drypenn Quote
Perfectly safe. I'll be more worried if it's completely drained for 1-3 months.

One precaution I've been practicing is not to leave a battery (especially a 3rd party) INSIDE a camera while in storage.

I always say this everytime I buy something. My self just wont believe myself anymore.
lol! I refrained myself from getting a $26 filter. let's hope I am happy with the kit len's photo :/

Wait, so, is it safe to leave the original battery inside the camera?
12-05-2014, 12:26 AM   #14
Veteran Member

lol! I refrained myself from getting a $26 filter. let's hope I am happy with the kit len's photo :/

Wait, so, is it safe to leave the original battery inside the camera?

Yes! (Good decision not to buy a filter! Get a hood instead, if your lens doesn't have one!)
12-05-2014, 12:34 AM   #15

K50 is my first dslr too, if you dont have any experience i suggest you to watch some youtube videos to cover the basics such as ISO, f, shutter speed and focal lenght. There are many free books online also. After this take a look for a post proccesing suite like lightroom or whatever you like
I dont know what kind of photography you do but the kit lens should be ok for anything.
Happy shooting