Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2014, 09:20 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Unable to use 4gb Eye fi card with my K50

Hi, I got my 4gb eye fi card free with my pentax k50, I downloaded my app on iphone activated the feature using the code and then when it was the time to insert my Eye-fi card into the DSLR, it says card not formatted.
I even formatted the card from the DSLR format menu, still it doesnt work.

Tried inserting it in PC, no help.

Can somebody please throw some light on this.

P.S. I also upgraded my firmware from 1.0 to 1.02.

12-05-2014, 09:23 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The card could be write protected- check the switch.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-05-2014, 11:20 PM   #3

Original Poster
No its not write protected...
12-06-2014, 03:05 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Did you get an error message when formatting it on your computer? Make sure it's formatted to FAT and not NTFS, etc. You can format the card by right clicking on the drive.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-06-2014, 05:04 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Check that by formatting the card you haven't deleted any vital files. My Toshiba FlashAir card has a set of files to enable it to work.

There's a Toshiba utility that restores the on-card files after formatting. Could be the same with EyeFi?
12-06-2014, 06:59 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

eyefi's software isn't on the part of the card you can format.

Make sure you use the orange USB card reader that came with the card when you hook it up to the PC. It can be really wonky with built-in or third party card readers (it won't even detect the card on my macbook pro). Turn the write protect switch on and off - sometimes it can be weird, too. Format it there to FAT. Make sure you can write files to it. Eject it -- don't just pull it out. Then try it in the camera. Make sure the contacts are clean, too, just in case. Hope you get it working... if not, I hear EyeFi is really quite good about replacing bad cards. You can open a ticket here:
https://mobihelp.eyefi.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
12-06-2014, 10:51 AM   #7

I gave up on the Mobi Eye-Fi card with a K-50. It won't transfer RAW files and I couldn't get it to sync with my desktop computer, despite quite a bit of trying. I saw an article on the D P Review site that said the Mobi card wouldn't connect with a computer, only mobile phones, but the Eye-Fi web site says the Mobi cards will sync with a computer. Nevertheless, I couldn't get it to work.
12-06-2014, 11:53 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by T Evergreen Quote
I gave up on the Mobi Eye-Fi card with a K-50. It won't transfer RAW files and I couldn't get it to sync with my desktop computer, despite quite a bit of trying. I saw an article on the D P Review site that said the Mobi card wouldn't connect with a computer, only mobile phones, but the Eye-Fi web site says the Mobi cards will sync with a computer. Nevertheless, I couldn't get it to work.
Only the X2 cards can do RAW files, and they're pretty slow. Eyefi Products: Compare WiFi Cards: Mobi and Pro X2 | Eyefi

The capability for Mobi to talk to a PC was added in beta a year ago. Before that, it couldn't, so the DP review was probably pre-Dec-2013. Not sure when it went out of beta, but it's available now -- you need the Desktop Transfer client:
Mobi App Downloads | Eyefi

12-06-2014, 07:39 PM   #9

Narual, thanks for the info, but I guess it's not meant to be. I tried again after loading the file you provide, but it's still not working. I generally shoot RAW, but thought it could come in handy in certain cases. In any event, thanks for your help.
12-06-2014, 10:39 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by T Evergreen Quote
Narual, thanks for the info, but I guess it's not meant to be. I tried again after loading the file you provide, but it's still not working. I generally shoot RAW, but thought it could come in handy in certain cases. In any event, thanks for your help.
If this helps - I think the more typical workflow for an eyefi card is to shoot raw+jpg with the JPG set to the smallest size and not the highest quality. You snap the photo, the eyefi card beams the small JPG to your phone or tablet, where ideally you're pulling it into Shuttersnitch or something comparable, that will show it full size, give you zebra stripes (i.e. showing you where any under or overexposed areas are), warning you if the shutter speed is too low (either based on a setting you choose or based on handheld stability) or if the image violates any other warnings you set in place. It also gives you a fairly instant backup of the image so if something goes bad you might lose the raw but you won't lose the shot completely. It's not really a replacement for connecting to the PC via wire or taking the card out and plugging it into a PC to download the raw images.

And I think there's more to it than just installing the software, but I have an X2, so I have no firsthand experience.
12-07-2014, 12:24 AM   #11

Original Poster
Thank you all for your responses, the moment I insert this into the inbuilt sdhc reader in my laptop, My pc says, the card is not formatted, would you like to format, and on the format window, I selected Fat format only, It starts formatting halfway and then says, could not be formatted. I think I ll have to raise a ticket with eyefi.
12-07-2014, 08:02 AM   #12

Narual thanks for the additional information. The RAW + JPEG with the latter at the smallest setting sounds like the way to use the card. I'll give that a try. I had been trying to transfer maximum sized JPEGs.
12-26-2014, 02:03 PM   #13

Original Poster
Hey Narural, Thanks for providing me with Eye-fi support details, I raised a ticket there.
They have responded and provided me a new 8Gb mobi card for free.

Sorry for late reply.