Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2014, 06:11 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I come from the K-5 and i want to set K-50... help

I come from the K-5 and desire the following, set the K-50 so that when you turn not miss the following configurations:

- The display is turned off unless I turn it on.
- The ISO is not automatic, either 100 or what I decide.
- May you always be behind the wheel aperture and the front is the speed.

I do not find in the manual as I can change all this, anyone can help me?

Unless this is a fantastic camera, if I had 80 ISO ...

tnx so much

12-06-2014, 06:45 AM   #2
Pentaxian

That should pretty much be the automatic settings. If you turn off the display and switch the camera off, the display should stay off when you switch the camera on again. Same with ISO, if you don't specifically set it to AUTO ISO, AUTO ISO won't be on. Don't know about the control wheels though.

Which mode are you shooting in?
12-06-2014, 06:56 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
That should pretty much be the automatic settings. If you turn off the display and switch the camera off, the display should stay off when you switch the camera on again. Same with ISO, if you don't specifically set it to AUTO ISO, AUTO ISO won't be on. Don't know about the control wheels though.

Which mode are you shooting in?
Tnx for your response.
I shoot normaly in manual mode and aperture priority, if i turn off the camera doesn't respect my settings.
12-06-2014, 07:11 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by towa Quote
Tnx for your response.
I shoot normaly in manual mode and aperture priority, if i turn off the camera doesn't respect my settings.
You could make a User mode, here's a recipe for that:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/231840-turning-off-k...d-display.html

Should work for both the screen, ISO and control wheel settings.

12-06-2014, 07:22 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
You could make a User mode, here's a recipe for that:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/231840-turning-off-k...d-display.html

Should work for both the screen, ISO and control wheel settings.
Tnx so much, i'll try it!
12-06-2014, 08:24 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by towa Quote
I come from the K-5 and desire the following, set the K-50 so that when you turn not miss the following configurations:

- The display is turned off unless I turn it on.
- The ISO is not automatic, either 100 or what I decide.
- May you always be behind the wheel aperture and the front is the speed.

I do not find in the manual as I can change all this, anyone can help me?

Unless this is a fantastic camera, if I had 80 ISO ...

tnx so much
You cannot can swap the wheels on the K-50. I also like Aperture in front, Shutter in rear. You can do this on the K-3.

Last edited by AquaDome; 12-06-2014 at 09:15 AM. Reason: correction
12-06-2014, 08:39 AM   #7

I confirm that if you turn off the LCD screen in the K50 it only persists until you turn it off. When you turn the camera back on, the screen is back. So you'd have to do it every single time. Gets annoying really quickly.
12-06-2014, 08:43 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
tnx guys. I haven't tha k-50 with me right now

12-06-2014, 08:52 AM - 1 Like   #9

I have K-50 and the dials can be swapped.

I have aperture in front / shutter on the rear side. I keep it like this because the only thing one needs to change real-quick is shutter - having it on the rear side makes it easy to change shutter speed with thumb finger and keep the pointing finger on the release button.

Go to MENU -> 4th page for shooting settings -> E-Dial Programming
Here you can choose the functionality for the dials in each shooting mode (M,P,Av,Sv etc.) I did it for all such that I don't get confused.

Good luck, it's quite intuitive.
12-06-2014, 09:06 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Also, check the Memory sub-menu...
12-06-2014, 09:13 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by misomosi Quote

I have aperture in front / shutter on the rear side. I keep it like this because the only thing one needs to change real-quick is shutter - having it on the rear side makes it easy to change shutter speed with thumb finger and keep the pointing finger on the release button.

Here you can choose the functionality for the dials in each shooting mode (M,P,Av,Sv etc.) I did it for all such that I don't get confused.

I am looking now and see that it is where you say it is. Was this added with a newer firmware version? I don't think I ever checked after updating.
12-06-2014, 09:42 AM - 1 Like   #12

You can turn off the rear display and keep it off even when you turn the camera on again. Look at page 217 of the owners manual regarding Memory settings. If you check the Display box under Memory in the Menu, the camera will return to how it was when you shut off the camera. If the screen display was on when the camera was shut off, the display will be on when you turn the camera on. If the display is off, it will be off when you restart the camera.
12-06-2014, 10:40 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by T Evergreen Quote
You can turn off the rear display and keep it off even when you turn the camera on again. Look at page 217 of the owners manual regarding Memory settings. If you check the Display box under Memory in the Menu, the camera will return to how it was when you shut off the camera. If the screen display was on when the camera was shut off, the display will be on when you turn the camera on. If the display is off, it will be off when you restart the camera.
Truth! tnx so much!!

---------- Post added 12-06-14 at 06:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by misomosi Quote

Truth! tnx for your answer!

K-50 is an amazing camera for the prize ^^

Last edited by Michi Joel; 12-06-2014 at 10:48 AM.
12-06-2014, 04:55 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
I am looking now and see that it is where you say it is. Was this added with a newer firmware version? I don't think I ever checked after updating.
I have v1.00
I didn't know there was a newer firmware version. I'll go check