Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2014, 01:51 AM   #16

@xinaesthetic I actually have the exact same equipment as you do... K30, cheap AA adapter, bc700 charger, and I use eneloops. The ones I got were said to be precharged so I just stuck them into the camera and had some issues. The camera wouldn't wake up from "slumber mode". Opening up the battery door and pressing the adapter back into place always got it working again. When I got around to charging the batteries (one of the four wasn't charged...) everything went to the way it should. Now I get lots of shots out of my eneloops and as for the adapter.. As long as you handle it with care I agree with everyone else here. The original Pentax adapter just doesn't justify its price for what it does.. But I'd you're more rough with your equipment, the investment might be worthwhile (and more environment-friendly too as you've noticed).

12-12-2014, 10:52 AM   #17
Veteran Member

I've had zero issues with the 1 cheap AA adapter I've possessed since the K-30 came out, Eneloops gave me over 1000 shots on one test but more on that later, and DSTE Li-Ions are really good for cheap replacements - better than other (no-name) eBay cheapies I've tried and they measure almost the same capacity in mAh as the Pentax OEM.

All NiMh rechargeables, Eneloop low self discharge as well as the normal type, when freshly charged (in a decent charger) will have a terminal voltage in the region of 1.45v or so. Your K-30 will love 4x1.45v but won't operate below roughly 4x1.18v. If you just fire off one shot after the other just after a charge then you may well get the 1000 shots I achieved, but if you leave NiMh batteries for a couple of weeks (even Eneloops) their terminal voltage will sag somewhat, perhaps to something nearer 1.36v. Their mAh capacity won't have dropped much though, at least with Eneloops and their LSD brethren. You won't get as many shots though, perhaps 4-500 as the camera only responds to terminal voltage and shuts down below approx 4.7v total, and it will get there sooner from 4x1.36v than it will 4x1.45v. So basically, Eneloops last longer than others over a period but they still like a top-up before a heavy shooting session.