Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2014, 11:50 AM   #1

AA battery adapter for K30

Hello forum,

I brought a less-overpriced third party AA adapter for my K30, but after a while the plastic broke so that now it's held together with a bit of tape and I need to be careful when changing batteries that nothing goes AWOL.

I'm hesitant to buy the proper Pentax part as it seems pretty expensive for what it is. However, if it's significantly more reliable than the one I have then I suppose it's a false economy not to get it.

I also seem to be having a much less good experience with AA batteries in this machine than previous Pentax DSLRs. I think that some of my cells are past it... I got a BC700 charger which is supposed to be able to refresh them, but recently I find I often change batteries and only get one or two shots out of the 'fresh' set (and anecdotally it seems worse since I got the better spec charger). Perhaps this could be related to the shoddy adapter, particularly now that it's a bit broken.

Any thoughts?

12-10-2014, 12:45 PM   #2

Just buy more regualr rechargables, forget AAs! Saves you in the long run. I have a K30 and carry two extra in my bag. Only used all three one time.
12-10-2014, 01:34 PM   #3

I bought a cheap set of rechargables from the local budget supermarket and only got 50 shots or so out of them which was much less than expected. I then put a set of Eneloops in and got a few hundred photos from them. I suspect it's your batteries. Sanyo Eneloops have a very good reputation and my experience with them has been very positive also. Hobby King also sell some Low Self Discharge NiMH batteries for around $2 ea which I've also found to be pretty true to their marked capacities.
12-10-2014, 02:27 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I bought a cheap 3rd party adapter off of eBay. It's only real fault is the battery tab doesn't hold the cell in position well. Sometimes the cell will fall out. I have to bend the battery tab upward a bit. The adapter cost me $4 or $5. I can get 5 of these adapters for the price of one genuine Pentax adapter. By the time I get my 4th one I'll probably have upgraded to a newer Pentax that doesn't take AA in any way.

I also use Eneloops and I can get many, many shots out of them. Regular alkaline batteries don't last. They're great when it's all you have and you just need to make it back to your hotel room or something like that.

12-10-2014, 04:15 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
AA battery adapter for Kr, K30, K50...

I Think AA battery adapter is useful for travel, so do not run out to take pictures by depletion of Li-ion batteries. However, it is preferable to carry DLi-109 battery replacement.

AA non-rechargeable lithium batteries allowed to take more than 1,500 pictures and last for several years, and they can be a good alternative to the Ni-MH.
12-10-2014, 04:35 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
I'm using a cheap AA adapter from Ebay. No problems for about a year of using it.
Eneloops are one of the best rechargeables, but when I need really long working time and reliability from my cells I prefer to use Energizer Lithium, especially in winter.
I have used them many times in -25-35C (mostly in my GPS), and I'm sure my batteries won't drain because of cold.
12-10-2014, 05:09 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have bought several cheap AA battery holders and they work fine. You have to treat them with care however. I use only Eneloop AA batteries and I get a ton of shots from them. Cheap NiMh cells don't work well. Stick with Eneloops
12-10-2014, 05:38 PM   #8

I have one of these $5 adapters and it does sometimes lose contact on the odd occassion, so I have to take it out and tweak the batteries around a bit.

12-10-2014, 06:30 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Wow ! D BH109 Lithium Battery Holder AA Battery Holder for Pentax K R KR K 30 Camera | eBay @ around $3 USD , just buy another ...
I ordered a K30 a few days ago , the second thing I ordered was two of the AA adapters and a spare Li-ion ...
I have a K50 , so now I can play musical batteries between the two cameras .
12-11-2014, 02:58 AM   #10

Original Poster
Wow, lots of responses! Thanks for taking the time, everyone.

The suggestion to just buy another cheap adapter is a fairly reasonable one, as much as it's a shame from an environmental point of view etc to be using stuff that's relatively disposable. That really is a pretty moot point for such a small item in the grand scheme of things.

I already use Eneloops as well as some other mostly respectably branded LSD NiMH cells. Actually, at the moment my most trusted set are a relatively cheap no-name set, while my good old Eneloops seem to've given up the ghost despite having been 'refreshed' in my 'smart' charger. I will buy some more at some point (probably Eneloops again - they may be tired now, but they lasted through more than one camera body, so I guess I can't complain too much).

I seem to remember reviews reporting that decent AAs lasted longer in this body than the horrible proprietary battery (wish Pentax had not made that switch). I actually lost the original battery and charger for a while, but I did find them again... never got into the habit of using though.
12-11-2014, 03:10 AM   #11
Veteran Member

As a K-X and K30 user myself, I have been using nothing but Eneloop batteries too. I have also discovered that programmable battery chargers are probably the best way to charge these batteries. I'm using Powerex MH-C9000, and I think that at around $70, it's worth it when compared to other chargers I've tried (Energizer, Sanyo, etc.) I usually "condition" my battery every once in a while by charging it at 300mah, and discharging it 200mah. It takes really a while, but my eneloops seem to love the exercise.
12-11-2014, 05:48 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by drypenn Quote
As a K-X and K30 user myself, I have been using nothing but Eneloop batteries too. I have also discovered that programmable battery chargers are probably the best way to charge these batteries. I'm using Powerex MH-C9000, and I think that at around $70, it's worth it when compared to other chargers I've tried (Energizer, Sanyo, etc.) I usually "condition" my battery every once in a while by charging it at 300mah, and discharging it 200mah. It takes really a while, but my eneloops seem to love the exercise.
I have the same charger and agree wholeheartedly. Well worth the money.
12-11-2014, 07:28 AM   #13

Original Poster
I'll give another gentle condition to some of my batteries - especially the Eneloops.

The charger I have should be able to do more-or-less the same as the one mentioned (even slower though, 100ma / 200ma <pedantry>not mah, since we're measuring current rather than amount of charge</pedantry>). For a while I was diligent about keeping up a spreadsheet with details of what charges / refreshes I'd done, but encouraging numbers haven't always translated to well behaved batteries... Subject to confirmation bias etc, I seem to have more irritations with useless batteries that I thought were supposedly charged since getting a programmable charger than I had before. Maybe my fault to a certain extent; perhaps also somewhat to do with my dodgy adapter (don't think so though).

---------- Post added 12-11-14 at 02:32 PM ----------

This one has free shipping; maybe I should get that. A steal at 70.69

39100 Pentax D-BH109 | eBay
12-11-2014, 07:38 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by xinaesthetic Quote

The charger I have should be able to do more-or-less the same as the one mentioned (even slower though, 100ma / 200ma <pedantry>not mah, since we're measuring current rather than amount of charge</pedantry>).
Yup, you're right. Good catch!
12-12-2014, 12:55 AM   #15
Pentaxian

I buy DSTE batteries on Ebay from whoever in the USA has the best deal. I ordered a spare tonight for the K30 because I toasted one in the wrong charger and I always want 4 spares....It was a whopping $5.98 shipped ! Also ordered 4 for the K3 from this guy on Ebay....dont know him but his batteries are good and not junk...link... 2pcs DSTE D LI90 Rechargeable Battery for Pentax K 01 K 3 K 5 K 5 II K 7 | eBay
I have the AA cheapo holder from China....It works fine and only cost $3.00 and free shipping from China.
It took about a month to ship from China , but I was in NO hurry.
I dont think it will work out very well trying to use the AA holder except in emergency as they will do the job in a pinch , but cost more and wont last as long $ per $ as the standard will.