Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2014, 07:58 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Come on guys, give the OP a break, he is just getting into DSLR's and it is all new to him. We all started somewhere.

Like I said, I was so frustrated with dust on my K-X and wanted to clean the VF too and scratched it. This was within the first month. Yeah, I thought for a moment I should have just stayed with my Canon bridge camera but I stuck it out and learned what to do and not do, and most of what I first learned was from here, or other forums, and youtube on how to change my new VF , and it helped me figure everything out. There is a learning curve with a DSLR but it is well worth it once you get the hang of it.

12-13-2014, 08:11 AM   #17
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by JimC1101 Quote
Come on guys, give the OP a break, he is just getting into DSLR's and it is all new to him. We all started somewhere.

Like I said, I was so frustrated with dust on my K-X and wanted to clean the VF too and scratched it. This was within the first month. Yeah, I thought for a moment I should have just stayed with my Canon bridge camera but I stuck it out and learned what to do and not do, and most of what I first learned was from here, or other forums, and youtube on how to change my new VF , and it helped me figure everything out. There is a learning curve with a DSLR but it is well worth it once you get the hang of it.

Problem is: He didn't come here seeking help, he came to bash Pentax and tout the CaNikons! There's a difference. If the others offer what he wants, he should go there!
12-13-2014, 12:06 PM   #18

Original Poster

Hi Jim, I'm a girl new to DSLR, thanks a lot for your kindly suggestion, though it's a long way for me to learn to clean my camera, I will finally manage to do it, just like you do now. Just start with the rocket blower to blow off the dust on sensor and leave VF as it is, as you suggested. Thanks again, you are a kind person. It's lucky for beginners to get help from you nice person. All the best

---------- Post added 12-13-14 at 12:17 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Al_Kahollick Quote
Problem is: He didn't come here seeking help, he came to bash Pentax and tout the CaNikons! There's a difference. If the others offer what he wants, he should go there!
Hi there, don't judge other person from your own stand and it's no point of being aggressive. I did make complaint about pentax here, that's due to the tough and rude response I got from pentax customer service, I didn't want to speak for any manufacturer, I just wish complaints from customers may push the manufacturers to do better for their service, which I think is good for every customer. Do no understand why you being so angry with my complaint about pentax service, maybe you work for pentax or being a big fan of it? Anyway, the pictures shot by my camera is good looking except for those annoying dark spots on them, so I kept it instead of returning it. I came here for help and communication, not argument, so just take it easy!

---------- Post added 12-13-14 at 12:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
You might want to check out the Panasonic FZ1000. It's a fixed-lens superzoom with a large 1" sensor and a bright lens. It also shoots very nice video, even in 4K. Performance wise, it is closer to a DSLR than a point and shoot. Obviously image quality won't be quite as good as a DSLR, but you never have to change lenses.
Thanks for your advice, I will give the rocket blower a try. Just as others suggested, the DSLR won't keep clean for a long time, and I have to learn to clean it by myself sooner or later. It's just time for me to begin now. Have you ever use other cleaning tools such as brush and wet clean tools, since I also get stain on my lens and VF?

---------- Post added 12-13-14 at 12:28 PM ----------

Rocket Blower from Amazon - $9.95

Giottos AA1900 Rocket Air Blaster Large - Black

It will remove some dust from the VF, but not so much. For the sensor though, it is all that most people use for cleaning.

DSLR's are a little more maintenance but the methods to clean are covered in youtube so you will learn in time what we have learned.

When I first got my K-X. and I cleaned my sensor and VF screen, I scratched it, it is very delicate so don't rub it with a cloth or finger, just blow it. We all get use to it and you can always take the VF out but be very careful. In time we leave it as it is and dust will go away for the most part. When I first had to clean my camera, I thought that maybe I don't want a DSLR to clean it the first time because it is more maintenance than a P&S. That was 5 years ago so I learned and it is not a problem at all.
Hi Jim, can I use brush and wet cleaning cloth to clean my lens without scratching it, for my lens has a film-like stain? Thanks
12-13-2014, 08:53 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Look in the manual and it will give tips on cleaning the interior and exterior on your camera. I never really use anything but a wet cloth and that is it. I use a microfiber cloth to gently wipe both my lens and VF. I would not use a brush and never had a problem with a film on the lens. If there is a film, just use alcohol and wipe after but only on the glass, not the plastic parts. There is a lot of information in the internet on what to do and not do in cleaning so if you search on it, you will see it is easy.

---------- Post added 12-13-14 at 08:54 PM ----------

12-14-2014, 04:22 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by kittycd Quote

Hi Jim, can I use brush and wet cleaning cloth to clean my lens without scratching it, for my lens has a film-like stain? Thanks
get a lenspen. They work great and so far I haven't had any stains I couldn't get rid. Yes, that includes finger prints.

Blower
Lenspen brush side
Lenspen cloth side

done.
12-14-2014, 10:05 AM   #21

Original Poster
Look in the manual and it will give tips on cleaning the interior and exterior on your camera. I never really use anything but a wet cloth and that is it. I use a microfiber cloth to gently wipe both my lens and VF. I would not use a brush and never had a problem with a film on the lens. If there is a film, just use alcohol and wipe after but only on the glass, not the plastic parts. There is a lot of information in the internet on what to do and not do in cleaning so if you search on it, you will see it is easy.

---------- Post added 12-13-14 at 08:54 PM ----------

Ok, thanks

---------- Post added 12-14-14 at 10:06 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Volker76 Quote
get a lenspen. They work great and so far I haven't had any stains I couldn't get rid. Yes, that includes finger prints.

Blower
Lenspen brush side
Lenspen cloth side

done.
Thanks, I'll try them
04-27-2017, 04:30 PM   #22

if you have the 2 year extended warranty, when does the free check up / cleaning expire?

after the 3rd year since the first is what it comes with and then 2 additional so within 3 years right?

thanks