Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2014, 09:14 PM   #1

anyone ever got free sensor clean from pentax under standard warranty?

I bought my pentax k 50 in May this year, and seldom use it. Recently I found dark spots on the pictures shot by this camera since the second day of purchase. I have contact pentax customer service to see whether they would offer a free sensor clean since it's still under warranty, and they replied they only offer one free sensor clean for extended warranty but not standard warranty. They asked me to send my camera to precision camera( the only one repair center that deals with warranty products) to have a check. If the sensor need replacedment, they can do it for free, but if just clean, they will charge for that. I said it's abnormal for camera to get sensor stain on the second use in clean places and most camera manufacturers such as canon and nikon would offer one sensor clean for their customers even their websites say it would be charged. I have friend who has got free sensor clean from canon under standard warranty. Besides, pentax website clearly states that routine sensor clean would charge both for standard and extended warranty, but now they say they can do sensor clean once for free for extended warranty but not standard warranty. It's such a cheat! So dissapointed at pentax service. Sensor clean is no big deal to them and in most cases they would do sensor clean for free while they repair the camera, why not just offer one sensor clean to customers while othe manufacturers do? I think customers of pentax should get together to made complanit to pentax to give them some pressure. I would not buy any pentax products again. Their customer service sucks!

12-11-2014, 09:42 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well, the nature of the DSLR beast is that our cameras are dust magnets and get sucked right into the sensor. I freaked out when I got dust on my K-X and did not know what to do. Since that time, with input from forum users here, a rocket blower did the trick. It is fairly easy to do and I would never ship my camera out to get a sensor cleaning. Maybe if I was going for another repair, sure, but in the time it takes to get home, swap a lens, chances are you will be getting dust quite soon again.
12-11-2014, 09:44 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting. My k50 went in for service, and I hadn't realized the sensor was very dirty until I recently saw pictures from before the repair and pictures after, which show a clean sensor. They did not mention the cleaning in the repair paperwork... So they might do it routinely on repair.
12-12-2014, 04:36 AM   #4
Banned

The extended warranty doesn't give you a free cleaning per se, what you get is actually a complete check of your camera to ensure it's in top shape. Yes, it's cleaned, but that's only part of the service.

If they gave everyone a free cleaning, think of the backlog that would create at the repair centers! Sensor cleaning isn't difficult, usually a blast or two from a rocket blower will do the trick. As previously stated, DSLR's are dust magnets, if you can't deal with it, perhaps a different hobby would be more to your liking.

12-12-2014, 04:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kittycd Quote
I bought my pentax k 50 in May this year, and seldom use it. Recently I found dark spots on the pictures shot by this camera since the second day of purchase. I have contact pentax customer service to see whether they would offer a free sensor clean since it's still under warranty, and they replied they only offer one free sensor clean for extended warranty but not standard warranty. They asked me to send my camera to precision camera( the only one repair center that deals with warranty products) to have a check. If the sensor need replacedment, they can do it for free, but if just clean, they will charge for that. I said it's abnormal for camera to get sensor stain on the second use in clean places and most camera manufacturers such as canon and nikon would offer one sensor clean for their customers even their websites say it would be charged. I have friend who has got free sensor clean from canon under standard warranty. Besides, pentax website clearly states that routine sensor clean would charge both for standard and extended warranty, but now they say they can do sensor clean once for free for extended warranty but not standard warranty. It's such a cheat! So dissapointed at pentax service. Sensor clean is no big deal to them and in most cases they would do sensor clean for free while they repair the camera, why not just offer one sensor clean to customers while othe manufacturers do? I think customers of pentax should get together to made complanit to pentax to give them some pressure. I would not buy any pentax products again. Their customer service sucks!
Do you really want to pack up your camera, take it to a shipping service, and wait a couple weeks to get it back... all to avoid a three minute job you can easily do yourself?
12-12-2014, 06:07 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My Rocket blower has taken care of any large dust blobs I've found on my sensor. Sensors get dirty so often that I don't see the sense in paying for a cleaning, unless it's a case where air will not blow the blob off.
12-12-2014, 08:09 AM   #7

hm, in the papers I got with my K-30 it is stated that one sensor cleaning is covered. Maybe being in Europe, having to pay insane prices has its good sites...

12-12-2014, 08:28 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sensors are going to get dirty, and a Giottos Rocker Blower usually does the trick. You could clean your own sensor in less than half the time it took you to write this post.
12-12-2014, 09:31 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Do Canon, Nikon, Sony, or Olympus, or anybody else for that matter, do free sensor cleanings? If so, I've never heard of it.
12-12-2014, 09:48 AM   #10
Veteran Member

They usually did the sensor cleaning as a courtesy when you take the camera in for repair or in my case (lens/camera focus accuracy alignment check) before the standard 2-yr warranty expires. I don't know if other camera makers do the same or more.
12-12-2014, 11:53 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimC1101 Quote
Well, the nature of the DSLR beast is that our cameras are dust magnets and get sucked right into the sensor. I freaked out when I got dust on my K-X and did not know what to do. Since that time, with input from forum users here, a rocket blower did the trick. It is fairly easy to do and I would never ship my camera out to get a sensor cleaning. Maybe if I was going for another repair, sure, but in the time it takes to get home, swap a lens, chances are you will be getting dust quite soon again.
Thank you for the advice, although some users mentioned that there would be chances that you blowed some tiny unvisable dust onto the sensor while using the blower, I would give a try, for there's no way I can get free sensor clean from pentax, I have to do it myself. The thing is that now there are dusts on my viewfinder and stain on the lense, any idea of how to get rid of these without damaging the camera? I'm new to camera. Thanks.

---------- Post added 12-12-14 at 11:55 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Interesting. My k50 went in for service, and I hadn't realized the sensor was very dirty until I recently saw pictures from before the repair and pictures after, which show a clean sensor. They did not mention the cleaning in the repair paperwork... So they might do it routinely on repair.
Yes, they would clean the sensor free while repairing it, but they will charge if just for the clean, isn't it ridiculous?

---------- Post added 12-12-14 at 11:58 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Al_Kahollick Quote
The extended warranty doesn't give you a free cleaning per se, what you get is actually a complete check of your camera to ensure it's in top shape. Yes, it's cleaned, but that's only part of the service.

If they gave everyone a free cleaning, think of the backlog that would create at the repair centers! Sensor cleaning isn't difficult, usually a blast or two from a rocket blower will do the trick. As previously stated, DSLR's are dust magnets, if you can't deal with it, perhaps a different hobby would be more to your liking.
yes, but they should state that clearly on their website about warranty policy, but they didn't , instead, they claim that routine sensor clean would charge for both warranty.

---------- Post added 12-12-14 at 12:07 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Al_Kahollick Quote

I don't think one free clean would backlog the repair center for it only offer once for a one or two year warranty and other manufacturers who does that have no problem with that. I just read about experience of blowing more tiny dust onto the sensor using the blower and worried about that. Besides, my viewfinder also has dust now and lense stain, in this case I want a professional clean. Any thoughts of how to get rid of dust on viewfinder and lense since they seem to be little case for you?

---------- Post added 12-12-14 at 12:12 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Do you really want to pack up your camera, take it to a shipping service, and wait a couple weeks to get it back... all to avoid a three minute job you can easily do yourself?
No, I don't want to ship my camera to them unless they can clean it for free, for I also get dust on viewfinder and lens stain now. Many people recommend to use the blower but some report that they have blow more tiny dust from the blower onto the sensor and get a more dirty sensor, that's why I'm worried about using a blower.

---------- Post added 12-12-14 at 12:30 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
My Rocket blower has taken care of any large dust blobs I've found on my sensor. Sensors get dirty so often that I don't see the sense in paying for a cleaning, unless it's a case where air will not blow the blob off.
Where did you get your rocket blower? Did you ever notice some tiny dust with the setting of small aperture such as f22 after the blow? I've read about someone who used the blower and did get rid of those bigger dust but instead blowed more tiny ones onto the sensor and get the sensor dirtier. Thanks

---------- Post added 12-12-14 at 12:31 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Volker76 Quote
hm, in the papers I got with my K-30 it is stated that one sensor cleaning is covered. Maybe being in Europe, having to pay insane prices has its good sites...
good for you

---------- Post added 12-12-14 at 12:34 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
Do Canon, Nikon, Sony, or Olympus, or anybody else for that matter, do free sensor cleanings? If so, I've never heard of it.
at least my friend with canon did, read reports about nikon also did, not sure about others, I guess that's something to do with ricoh's take over of pentax.

---------- Post added 12-12-14 at 12:36 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Sensors are going to get dirty, and a Giottos Rocker Blower usually does the trick. You could clean your own sensor in less than half the time it took you to write this post.
I hope so, but my viewfinder also get dust now and lens get some stain like film, can rocket blower get rid of dust on viewfinder?

---------- Post added 12-12-14 at 12:39 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
They usually did the sensor cleaning as a courtesy when you take the camera in for repair or in my case (lens/camera focus accuracy alignment check) before the standard 2-yr warranty expires. I don't know if other camera makers do the same or more.
Does your warranty cover the lens/camera focus accuracy alignment check? My k50 only has a one year standard warranty and doesn't cover any check or clean, only repair, an extended warranty of two years may do.
12-12-2014, 02:01 PM   #12
Veteran Member

No, I don't want to ship my camera to them unless they can clean it for free, for I also get dust on viewfinder and lens stain now. Many people recommend to use the blower but some report that they have blow more tiny dust from the blower onto the sensor and get a more dirty sensor, that's why I'm worried about using a blower.[COLOR="Silver"]
Usually I get the sensor clean the first go, but sometimes, as you indicated, you will have a different dust spot or two. If that happens, then I just do it again.
12-12-2014, 03:55 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Rocket Blower from Amazon - $9.95

Giottos AA1900 Rocket Air Blaster Large - Black

It will remove some dust from the VF, but not so much. For the sensor though, it is all that most people use for cleaning.

DSLR's are a little more maintenance but the methods to clean are covered in youtube so you will learn in time what we have learned.

When I first got my K-X. and I cleaned my sensor and VF screen, I scratched it, it is very delicate so don't rub it with a cloth or finger, just blow it. We all get use to it and you can always take the VF out but be very careful. In time we leave it as it is and dust will go away for the most part. When I first had to clean my camera, I thought that maybe I don't want a DSLR to clean it the first time because it is more maintenance than a P&S. That was 5 years ago so I learned and it is not a problem at all.
12-13-2014, 06:00 AM   #14
Banned

Any thoughts of how to get rid of dust on viewfinder and lense since they seem to be little case for you?

If you can't figure out how to clean a lens, you are surely in over your head with a DSLR, I suggest you sell your camera and get a point and shoot.
12-13-2014, 07:04 AM   #15
Veteran Member

You might want to check out the Panasonic FZ1000. It's a fixed-lens superzoom with a large 1" sensor and a bright lens. It also shoots very nice video, even in 4K. Performance wise, it is closer to a DSLR than a point and shoot. Obviously image quality won't be quite as good as a DSLR, but you never have to change lenses.