Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2014, 08:40 AM   #16

Original Poster
Well I took it out today and it's been snowed on, sleeted on, and rained on, don't you just love tropical weather, and it's performed like a trooper with no issues so far.
I'll live with it until it dies and then look for a deal on a K 3.

12-13-2014, 10:55 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MSBC1 Quote
Well I took it out today and it's been snowed on, sleeted on, and rained on, don't you just love tropical weather, and it's performed like a trooper with no issues so far.
I'll live with it until it dies and then look for a deal on a K 3.
I shot an email off to the store last night . I just shot around a hundred shots at my middle grandsons Basketball game with no issues. Since I do not own a WR lens anyway I am not worried about the weather sealing at this point. I have pretty much decided the same thing use it till it quits then user that for an excuse to grade.
12-13-2014, 11:11 AM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
I shot an email off to the store last night . I just shot around a hundred shots at my middle grandsons Basketball game with no issues. Since I do not own a WR lens anyway I am not worried about the weather sealing at this point. I have pretty much decided the same thing use it till it quits then user that for an excuse to grade.
It'll be interesting to see what they have to say, hopefully they will recommend that you send it back for repair even though you're not worried about the WR.
I would send it back though just in case you want to sell the body down the line.
12-13-2014, 09:35 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would send it back though just in case you want to sell the body down the line.
I have considered that but I got to thinking I have never sold a body once I had it ,nor a lens for that matter. I have a pretty good collection of both and still do not plan on selling. I have been using Pentax since the middle 70's . I have loaned some out, but never sold one.
I am curious to hear what they recommend as well. If it can cause a problem of any kind I will send it back . I did find the payment so I know when I purchased it. I should have 3 weeks left on the warranty. Unless I remember wrong, But I am sure that it had a 2 year warranty since I purchased it from Canada.
I will post back their answer when I receive it

12-15-2014, 08:10 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K-30 goes in for repairs in the next couple of days. I guess it is back to my trusty DL for a while
12-16-2014, 03:16 AM   #21

Original Poster
The K-30 goes in for repairs in the next couple of days. I guess it is back to my trusty DL for a while
Ask them to replace the part with one made from Titanium : )
Seriously though, I'm pleased you're getting yours sorted, hope the repairs don't take too long
M.
12-16-2014, 05:32 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ask them to replace the part with one made from Titanium : ) Seriously though, I'm pleased you're getting yours sorted, hope the repairs don't take too long M.
I still do not know why it broke. It was just sitting funny when I went to change the battery for a fresh one. I hope it comes home soon as well. At least I have other cameras to use while it is gone.

12-17-2014, 01:39 AM   #23

Original Poster
I still do not know why it broke. It was just sitting funny when I went to change the battery for a fresh one. I hope it comes home soon as well. At least I have other cameras to use while it is gone.

That's exactly what happened with mine. I opened the battery cover and noticed that it was hanging off at an angle and then came off when I tried to get the battery out.

The only good thing that has come out of this has been window shopping for a replacement.

12-17-2014, 06:27 AM   #24

The battery lug is likely made of Delrin, Teflon or Nylon. You can glue them but the glues don't hold well with shearing force which is what the battery pushing up against the lug is doing.

MTI TN103 Everybody knows you can't glue teflon

You might be able to glue it into place with the Loctite product and then build up some reinforcement with an epoxy like JB Weld. Get the slow cure for maximum strength. The JB weld won't be pretty - charcoal grey - but you're not looking at the lug very much.
12-17-2014, 07:01 AM   #25

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The battery lug is likely made of Delrin, Teflon or Nylon. You can glue them but the glues don't hold well with shearing force which is what the battery pushing up against the lug is doing.

MTI TN103 Everybody knows you can't glue teflon

You might be able to glue it into place with the Loctite product and then build up some reinforcement with an epoxy like JB Weld. Get the slow cure for maximum strength. The JB weld won't be pretty - charcoal grey - but you're not looking at the lug very much.

Thanks for the idea, in reality though I'm going to run with it until the camera dies and look for a replacement then.
12-17-2014, 06:39 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I actually repair all types of plastic in my line of work and probably have a way to repair the catch, but It was sent in today for Pentax Canada to repair. I have a plastic welder and all types of adheisives and promoters ,not available to the general public. I was just going to leave it alone since it did not seem to be causing a problem . My Nikon's do not have the retainer, and seem to be fine that way. the way the door is made and the door latch I was not foreseeing a problem there. Then again if it did cause a problem I could use that as excuse to get a K-3. It is easier to explain why I NEED a new camera if there is a broken one for it to replace.
12-18-2014, 02:41 AM   #27

Original Poster
I actually repair all types of plastic in my line of work and probably have a way to repair the catch, but It was sent in today for Pentax Canada to repair. I have a plastic welder and all types of adheisives and promoters ,not available to the general public. I was just going to leave it alone since it did not seem to be causing a problem . My Nikon's do not have the retainer, and seem to be fine that way. the way the door is made and the door latch I was not foreseeing a problem there. Then again if it did cause a problem I could use that as excuse to get a K-3. It is easier to explain why I NEED a new camera if there is a broken one for it to replace.
Sound logic.
NEED is such a powerful word
12-18-2014, 08:09 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the feeling this is going to be a loooong wait.
12-21-2014, 12:17 PM   #29

I think the damage is caused when you put the battery in. It's a bad design fault IMO. There is no ramp notch on the battery to guide it in. On a cold day you're more then likely to force the battery down onto the tag. I've always had doubts about this design and I'm extra careful.
12-22-2014, 05:46 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Actually I have always been careful changing that batteries. I always thought it looked weak so handled it with kid gloves. It is a bit weak where it broke. It was hanging down" with the camera right side up" like the weight of the battery had made it give . Mine has never been dropped nor set down hard which is what it looks like would have caused it to break. It breaking on the install should have broken it on the outside as that is where the pressure is put on install, but it was broken on the inside where the pressure is from the weight of the battery . I think it is a bad design or choice in materials for the retainer.