Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-23-2014, 03:36 AM   #31

I would suspect just a bad batch of catches material or manufacturing-wise. The K-R, K-30, K-50 and K-500 all use the same battery and AA battery holder. Engineers love reusing previous components. If it were design and the same component you'd hear of the same problem with the other models. There is no ramp on the battery for my K10D which is 7-8 years old. I couldn't count the number of times the battery has been in and out.

12-24-2014, 05:09 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I would suspect just a bad batch of catches material or manufacturing-wise
That is what I suspect. I think mine was the third one in as many weeks that I had heard of failing
03-20-2016, 01:50 PM   #33

Just happened to me too

I just posted the same thing on my K30, then found your thread. Pretty cheap material it seems. Any ill effect since you originally posted?
03-21-2016, 06:05 AM   #34

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BuckeyeStu Quote
I just posted the same thing on my K30, then found your thread. Pretty cheap material it seems. Any ill effect since you originally posted?
Only that the battery drops out when you open the door if you're not careful, otherwise the K30 still runs like a trooper. Still weather sealed, still brilliant.

03-21-2016, 08:08 AM   #35

re Battery Retaining Clip

Thanks, great to know. Worse things have happened. Regards
03-21-2016, 10:24 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I imagine with the right gauge of tools, you could make some small holes in the clip, place some shortened sewing needles in the holes and then glue it to keep it together... the pins would give it support against shear force and help prevent re-breakage.
03-22-2016, 10:11 AM   #37

Photos: Gallery
Get some of that adhesive that they advertise on TV that uses a blue light to instantly cure the glue. Works really well on plastic. I was surprised at how strong the bond is when my glasses snapped at the bridge. Can bend them and will not break the bond.

03-23-2016, 11:09 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Ahh... UV glue. It's used for a variety of things such as adhering replacement glass on smartphones. That might work pretty well. I keep forgetting about that stuff....
01-18-2017, 08:30 AM - 1 Like   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MSBC1 Quote
Only that the battery drops out when you open the door if you're not careful, otherwise the K30 still runs like a trooper. Still weather sealed, still brilliant.
I know this is an old thread, but this came up in the K70 forum and I posted my solution there. I'll repeat it here:

I had the battery retainer lug on my K30 snap over a year ago I think. For a while, I just lived with it. Then I lost the battery in the field when the door popped open somehow. Miraculously, the battery was eventually found by someone with sharper eyes than mine.

My fix: I found a piece of thin, semi-rigid plastic, and cut out a "plate" approximately the size of the bottom of my camera, drilled a hole aligned with the tripod mount, and I hold it in place using my tripod quick release plate. It covers the bottom of the camera, and ensures the battery door will not inadvertently pop open. I can easily rotate the plate out of the way if needed to replace the battery. ( ie. no need to remove the quick release plate to get at the battery )

If you don't like the look of plastic, you can use a piece of thin aluminium.

If you don't have a quick release plate, or don't want it on your camera long term, you can sub a plastic or metal machine screw that will fit the tripod mount hole.
02-22-2017, 04:36 PM   #40
Imp
Pentaxian

aaand... mine just broke. Oh well.

Looking at the battery door, the thickness of the door goes into the compartment just as far as the little retaining clip would hold the battery in, so don't really see the need for some foam or anything. Now I'm just concerned for the life expectancy of the door, as when that goes, it wouldn't be worth repairing... which is a shame because the rest of the camera will probably be fine

Except my e-dials are acting up more now...
02-23-2017, 05:24 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I doubt the door will fail before the rest of the camera . I haven't heard of anyone's doors failing even those that have added items to help hold that battery off the door. I have retired my K30. as much as I loved it. The meter is off depending on lens and aperture setting. anywhere from +1 to +4. It over exposeses awful. Every since it's Kamikazy dive off the tripod. It is taking some getting use to the grip and placement of the AF button on the back.of the K-S2
02-23-2017, 07:01 AM   #42
Imp
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
I doubt the door will fail before the rest of the camera
That's good to hear! thanks