Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2014, 03:36 AM   #1

Upcoming K-50 replacement?

Hello all,

First post in the forums -- I signed up just to share that bit of information!

I was chatting with a knowledgeable store employee in a local brick-and-mortar electronics store, after noticing out loud that they weren't stocking any Pentax gear anymore. As it happened, they probably will when the new generation will come out, and here is what I learned:

- Pentax KS-1 occupies the entry-level price point
- new mid-range camera to replace the K-50, maybe called KS-30 (he couldn't remember the name with 100% accuracy)
- not a world about high-end, so it seems that the K-3 will live

I steered the conversation on to the topic of the mythical full frame, and:

- their Pentax rep didn't want to say anything about it, but it will come
- Ricoh is building up a FF lens range before putting the camera out, as they don't want to be in the situation Sony was in with all their new mounts and no lenses for them

So, food for thoughts. 2015 may be a very interesting year.

12-13-2014, 07:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard.
12-13-2014, 11:19 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Judging by the prices online (on Adorama) it seems the K-50 & K-3 are going to be updated pretty soon, and by the looks of it the K5IIs may be discontinued pretty soon also, since it's pretty much the same exact price as the K-S1.

Real good chance we'll know more when CES roles around in January.
12-13-2014, 11:23 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by el-jeffe Quote
knowledgeable store employee in a local brick-and-mortar electronics store
I'm afraid there is no such thing. We all hear this kind of story from time to time but it's not more credible than a calculated guess from any of us.

12-13-2014, 11:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
Judging by the prices online (on Adorama) it seems the K-50 & K-3 are going to be updated pretty soon, and by the looks of it the K5IIs may be discontinued pretty soon also, since it's pretty much the same exact price as the K-S1.

K-5iis has already been discontinued. My expectation is that we'll have new cameras in February.
12-13-2014, 11:29 AM   #6
Veteran Member

- Ricoh is building up a FF lens range before putting the camera out, as they don't want to be in the situation Sony was in with all their new mounts and no lenses for them

So, food for thoughts. 2015 may be a very interesting year.
I think that'd be pretty smart of them to do, so they can come out and say "Hey, here's our FF camera!!! And here some FF lenses that covers various ranges!!"

Even having a 12-24 f/4 (FF version), a 24-70 & 70-200 f/2.8 and some prime lenses right out the bat would be great.
12-13-2014, 11:39 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote

K-5IIs is already out of production (whatever they have left in stock/inventory) according to Japanese stores. The interesting point now is that few people know (especially those who only think about Canikonyfuji), the high-end k-3 is so close to the entry level camera price level.
12-13-2014, 01:46 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

- Ricoh is building up a FF lens range before putting the camera out
They have FF lenses. SMC FA and D-FA are still in inventory (though perhaps not currently being manufactured).

Given the recent sales on the FA31 (Halloween and Black Friday) there might be updates to certain classic designs and there might be an actual declaration of FF capability for certain of the DA lenses. I once read there is to be a 'DA Pro' line - make of that what you will.