Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2014, 01:58 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mellowyeahlow Quote
Hmmm... that brings me another question then.
Angle of views..... alter how a subject looks. Which is the reason why people say 50mm is the ideal for portrait shots.
So... does this mean.... if I slap on a 35mm on my K30... it would give me the ideal angle of view for portraits?

Sorry guys. I didn't realize what a loaded question this would be lol.

You asked a good question for you to be able to learn.

In art and photography there are some basics, but there is a whole ton that is subjective.

There is no 'two sides' to the issue. There are about 30 sides to it.

In ways it's good to not know what is 'ideal' and what isn't. Just because someone else uses a 50mm for portraits doesn't mean you have to. On the forum here people make STELLAR portraits with their 77mm lenses. I know several very well known photographers that use a 70-200mm zoom for portrait work. There is good reason for this. They can control the depth of field really well with that kind of lens.

It all depends on what you are trying to do. If you want a true portrait a tighter angle will be better, which means longer focal length.

If you want to shoot a person, say in context.... for example you have a cool view down a street in Hong Kong and you want to put the person in context... then a 50mm equivalent FOV would be better.

My first thing to say really is don't try to be standard. Quit going by all these 'standards' and just make a picture that looks cool.

If I gave you a pallet of paint and some brushes and a 3 foot by 5 foot section of canvas how would you fill it up if you were painting?

Now if I gave you a 1 foot by 2 foot piece of canvas how would you fill THAT one up? What subject matter would look good on one vs the other?

Last edited by alamo5000; 12-14-2014 at 02:08 PM.
12-14-2014, 04:07 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by ronnies Quote
Film cameras are full frame. :-)
really? medium format? and larger?

and aps-c and aps-h were not film formats?
12-14-2014, 07:54 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mellowyeahlow Quote
Hmmm... that brings me another question then.
Angle of views..... alter how a subject looks. Which is the reason why people say 50mm is the ideal for portrait shots.
So... does this mean.... if I slap on a 35mm on my K30... it would give me the ideal angle of view for portraits?

Sorry guys. I didn't realize what a loaded question this would be lol.
There actually is a little theory behind this. Long ago, many people considered 50 mm lenses to be "normal lenses" because they closely replicated how our eyes perceive a scene into an image that can be viewed. This was designed for film cameras, of course. Now that 50 mm lens was not universally accepted as the normal view as some thought it should be the diagonal length of a 3:2 film frame ( 24 mm x 36 mm). Do the math and, lo and behold, you get 43 mm. Others more familiar can comment on whether this was the real reason Pentax developed a 43 mm lens (FA 43 Ltd.).

Rerun the math for an APS-C frame size (23.6 mm x 15.7 mm) and get a diagonal length of 28.3 mm. Stick with 50 mm as the full frame "normal" and it equates to 32.7 mm on APS-C. Therefore, you can logically conclude that a 30 mm lens provides a normal view on an APS-C sensor.

Hope that helps!
12-15-2014, 01:08 AM   #19
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Volker76 Quote

Well of course film camera users had to cope with their medium format lenses and 35mm lenses giving different views and that's before taking into account large format sizes.

"Crop factors" didn't seem to be a problem then. :-)

To be exact 35mm SLRs are double format since the original use for 35mm film was cinema with an 18x24 frame size. :-)

Ronnie

12-15-2014, 03:14 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Volker76 Quote

Point is... you generally used specific lenses for MF, others for 35mm and others for other formats, I believe.
Now it's a (happy) flustercluck, where you can use "FF" lenses on FF, APS-C and m43... hence the confusion.