Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2014, 10:42 AM   #1

k-30 or k-50

Could someone tell me what is the difference between these two cameras? The k-30 is weather sealed, but , isn't the k-50 as well.
Thank you,
maria

12-15-2014, 11:05 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The differences are mostly cosmetic. The appearance is different, but the sensor and functions are practically the same. The K-30 came first, but was not that well-received (rumour was that it looks too "rugged" for the target demographic; there was no hate or problems), so they made a few minor changes and released the K-50, which looks more like a classical DSLR.

They are both great cameras, I doubt you would regret purchasing either one If you are buying new, get the one for the better price. If you are buying used, get the one in better condition (probably K-50, since it is the newer model). Or you can try handling them both, and choose the one that fits better in your hands.
12-15-2014, 12:09 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
The differences are mostly cosmetic. The appearance is different, but the sensor and functions are practically the same. The K-30 came first, but was not that well-received (rumour was that it looks too "rugged" for the target demographic; there was no hate or problems), so they made a few minor changes and released the K-50, which looks more like a classical DSLR.

They are both great cameras, I doubt you would regret purchasing either one If you are buying new, get the one for the better price. If you are buying used, get the one in better condition (probably K-50, since it is the newer model). Or you can try handling them both, and choose the one that fits better in your hands.
Who were the target demographic?
I have a k-x and a K-3 and wanted one of these to kind of fill in the middle. I am trying to convince my camera club (all women 'of an age') to switch to Pentax. Got one to jump after seeing the K-3 but a couple of the others don't want that much camera or cost. So trying to show what's available to them.
mariak

12-15-2014, 12:19 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Think of the K-50 as a 16MP version of the K-3. If you love one, you will certainly like the other.

The K-50 lacks a few of the K-3's pro features, is lighter, slightly smaller, and cheaper. Other than that, they are similar enough to each other that I changed the screen color on my K-3 so I could remember which camera I was using at the moment.
12-15-2014, 12:49 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
Think of the K-50 as a 16MP version of the K-3. If you love one, you will certainly like the other.

The K-50 lacks a few of the K-3's pro features, is lighter, slightly smaller, and cheaper. Other than that, they are similar enough to each other that I changed the screen color on my K-3 so I could remember which camera I was using at the moment.
The shutter/mirror noise is quite different between the K-30/50 and the K-3. My wife suggested I go ahead and upgrade to the K-3 after one too many shots in a quiet setting like a wedding with the K-30. Yeah, that was real hard to accept her advice.
12-15-2014, 01:28 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by mariakruse Quote
Could someone tell me what is the difference between these two cameras? The k-30 is weather sealed, but , isn't the k-50 as well.
Thank you,
maria
They're essentially the same cameras, save for the appearance.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-15-2014, 07:00 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
They're essentially the same cameras, save for the appearance.
Thank you all so much. I now have more information to share with the ladies who shoot.

maria

12-15-2014, 07:29 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'd choose whichever is cheaper between those two.
12-15-2014, 08:00 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I'd choose whichever is cheaper between those two.
I agree. I think a good price might be of more interest to the ladies. I will probably get one myself just for fun.
But this week my K-3 comes back Friday from being repaired and I admit I am looking forward to learning about it as well.
maria
12-26-2014, 01:04 PM   #11

Photos: Albums
Does this mean that the K-30 and the K-50 share identical operating systems for camera control?

I ask this because there are a lot more "how-to" threads for K-30 settings than there are the K-50, primarily because the former has been around longer than the latter. It would be nice to know that 95% or more of the steps prescribed for setting up and controlling the K-30 were the same on the K-50's screen, too.
12-26-2014, 01:38 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Suleeto Quote
Does this mean that the K-30 and the K-50 share identical operating systems for camera control?

I ask this because there are a lot more "how-to" threads for K-30 settings than there are the K-50, primarily because the former has been around longer than the latter. It would be nice to know that 95% or more of the steps prescribed for setting up and controlling the K-30 were the same on the K-50's screen, too.

That's a good question. They seem quite similar.
maria
12-28-2014, 04:52 PM   #13
Des
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mariakruse Quote
I have a k-x and a K-3 and wanted one of these to kind of fill in the middle. I am trying to convince my camera club (all women 'of an age') to switch to Pentax. Got one to jump after seeing the K-3 but a couple of the others don't want that much camera or cost. So trying to show what's available to them.
My K-30 fits my hand perfectly, but my partner finds it just a little big for her. Some of the women in your camera club might find the K-S1 (baby bear) more comfortable than either momma bear or poppa bear (K-50 or K-3). The image quality from the K-S1 looks to be very good: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/184-pentax-k-s1/283229-comparison-between...k-50-k-s1.html
12-28-2014, 07:44 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
My K-30 fits my hand perfectly, but my partner finds it just a little big for her. Some of the women in your camera club might find the K-S1 (baby bear) more comfortable than either momma bear or poppa bear (K-50 or K-3). The image quality from the K-S1 looks to be very good: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/184-pentax-k-s1/283229-comparison-between...k-50-k-s1.html
Thank you I will check it out. Of course, I want them all. sigh
maria