Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2014, 06:57 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
PK Tether

I downloaded the program PK-Tether with hopes that it would work with my K-50 but no dice. As soon as I connect the camera Windows 7 pops up a message that "PK Tether has stopped working. I see where others have successfully used it with the K-30 even though neither it nor the K-50 are listed as supported. Looking at the website I see little or no activity since Dec 2012, 2 years. Does anyone have any insight? Is the program even still under development? The ideal would be for it to work with a smartphone and the developer indicates that he's working on it, but again that's 2 years ago.

12-18-2014, 07:00 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Plus one. I'm interested also.
12-18-2014, 08:18 AM   #3

Have you tried running PK_Tether as an Administrator and/or in compatibility mode? Note if you are logged into Win7 as an Administrator you still have to run some stuff as an Administrator (right click on icon and pick "Run as...") unless you disable UAC (not recommended). You can set the short-cut properties to always run as an administrator.
12-18-2014, 09:58 AM   #4
Veteran Member

You could try pkTriggerCord -- dunno if it's any better.

Are you trying to tether or do one of the other things it can do?

12-18-2014, 10:16 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by dakight Quote
I downloaded the program PK-Tether with hopes that it would work with my K-50 but no dice. As soon as I connect the camera Windows 7 pops up a message that "PK Tether has stopped working. I see where others have successfully used it with the K-30 even though neither it nor the K-50 are listed as supported. Looking at the website I see little or no activity since Dec 2012, 2 years. Does anyone have any insight? Is the program even still under development? The ideal would be for it to work with a smartphone and the developer indicates that he's working on it, but again that's 2 years ago.
I don't think PK Tether supports the Prime M cameras, unfortunately. Hopefully it can be updated, but it sounds more like a protocol change/limitation in the newer bodies.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-18-2014, 12:36 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I don't think PK Tether supports the Prime M cameras, unfortunately. Hopefully it can be updated, but it sounds more like a protocol change/limitation in the newer bodies.

I guess it was worth a try anyway. There was a note on the website that it was incompatible with the K-30 although there's another thread that indicates that some have gotten it to work. I guess my concern is that there has been no activity on the website in 2 years and that's the date of the last version upgrade so I don't hold out a lot of hope that it will be further developed. Too bad, because an android/iphone app to control the camera would be very nice to see and I would be willing to pay a reasonable amount for it if it were a available.

I looked at PKTriggerCord and see that it lists the K-30 as supported, but not the K-50. I guess the market for these programs is too small to drive any significant development and the Mother Ship seems to have little to no interest either.
12-18-2014, 09:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I don't think PK Tether supports the Prime M cameras, unfortunately.
Apparently it does ► https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/282601-please-anybod...ml#post3085078

Last edited by Steve.Ledger; 12-18-2014 at 09:34 PM. Reason: gone crazy
12-19-2014, 05:46 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have tried "run as administrator" even though I am running it from an administrator account in the first place. I start the program and it comes up, looks good, but as soon as I connect the camera and turn it on the program ends with the "stopped working" message. I'll keep watching but it just doesn't look like it is going to work with the K-50.
12-19-2014, 07:51 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Here are some links about pktriggercord showing functionality and status for Pentax models:

pkTriggerCord
PKTRIGGERCORD
12-19-2014, 04:13 PM   #10

Photos: Gallery
Maybe try TriggerTrap

Maybe try this,
Triggertrap | The most powerful creative camera remotes for iPhone, Android, and Arduino | Triggertrap | Creative ways of triggering your camera
it uses your smart phone to do all kinds of stuff. I don't have one, because my Kx doesn't have the port for wired triggers, but I'd sure try it if it did. It looks pretty neat and seems simple. You can look if your camera is supported too. If anyone has tried it, let us know what you think.
12-19-2014, 07:00 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeantree Quote
Maybe try this,
Triggertrap | The most powerful creative camera remotes for iPhone, Android, and Arduino | Triggertrap | Creative ways of triggering your camera
it uses your smart phone to do all kinds of stuff. I don't have one, because my Kx doesn't have the port for wired triggers, but I'd sure try it if it did. It looks pretty neat and seems simple. You can look if your camera is supported too. If anyone has tried it, let us know what you think.

I wasn't really looking for a remote control app so much as a way to examine and change the camera's settings from a laptop computer or smart phone (Android). I have dslr remote and it works great as a remote control app. Another thing is the "tinker" factor. I am insatiably curious and I love to tinker and PK Tether looked to be tailor made for tinkering. Perhaps someday the Ricoh/Pentax mother ship will see fit to include tethering via Bluetooth using a smart phone... but I'm not holding my breath.
04-11-2021, 05:30 AM   #12

Hello All

I know this is a very old thread, but I am looking to download PK_Tether to fix some Back/Front Focus on my K-5.
I cannot find a link to download the last version as the site Michigan Stump Removal | Call For Free Quote Now seems to have change hands... and has nothing to do with Pentax or even photography.

Could anybody give me a link to download that tool?

Thank you in advance!

François
04-11-2021, 02:32 PM   #13

Another forum member uploaded the files to a file sharing site and provided a link. Unfortunately I did not bookmark the post. You should be able to find the post using the forum search function.
04-20-2021, 04:21 PM   #14

Here's the link:

PK_Tether_0_7_0.zip - Google Drive
04-20-2021, 08:24 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

will it still work , it is 9 years old?