Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2014, 10:11 PM   #1

lens clean and lens filter

Hi there, my pentax k 50 lense got haze stain, which requires wet clean. I've googled it and read some posts on forums, and most users recommend the ROR Residual Oil Remover, Purosol Optical Cleaner, or eclipe cleaner, with Tiffen Lens Cleaning Paper. The other alternative is to use Zeiss Lens Wipes. Can anyone who ever used thesed products recommend the best one, the one leaves no residue or treak and most importantly no scratches? After cleaning, I want to buy a lens filter to protect the lens, do you have any recommendation of the affordable good filter under 50 bucks? Thanks!

Last edited by kittycd; 12-18-2014 at 10:13 PM. Reason: add information
12-19-2014, 07:28 AM   #2
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kittycd Quote
Hi there, my pentax k 50 lense got haze stain, which requires wet clean. I've googled it and read some posts on forums, and most users recommend the ROR Residual Oil Remover, Purosol Optical Cleaner, or eclipe cleaner, with Tiffen Lens Cleaning Paper. The other alternative is to use Zeiss Lens Wipes. Can anyone who ever used thesed products recommend the best one, the one leaves no residue or treak and most importantly no scratches? After cleaning, I want to buy a lens filter to protect the lens, do you have any recommendation of the affordable good filter under 50 bucks? Thanks!
I've used Zeiss Lens wipes on my filters when needed in the field but would not do so with my lenses. Purosol or ROR is fine but use a cleaning cloth (never paper) on your lenses. Since I wear glasses, I use cleaning clothes
from Lens Crafters. A bit more expensive maybe but it will not scratch you filters or lenses. Also they can be reused if necessary once they dry. In terms of a low priced clear or UV filter, I would advise B+W, Hoya, Marumi but remember that you get what you pay for. I've used Tiffen as well I've seen some loss of sharpness and they are a pain to clean. Whatever you get make sure it has some type of MRC coating which cleans up easily enough without streaking. I am in midst of trying Pro Optics from Adorama and all reviews seem postiive and low cost.

Best of Luck!
12-19-2014, 08:58 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eminker Quote
I've used Zeiss Lens wipes on my filters when needed in the field but would not do so with my lenses. Purosol or ROR is fine but use a cleaning cloth (never paper) on your lenses. Since I wear glasses, I use cleaning clothes
from Lens Crafters. A bit more expensive maybe but it will not scratch you filters or lenses. Also they can be reused if necessary once they dry. In terms of a low priced clear or UV filter, I would advise B+W, Hoya, Marumi but remember that you get what you pay for. I've used Tiffen as well I've seen some loss of sharpness and they are a pain to clean. Whatever you get make sure it has some type of MRC coating which cleans up easily enough without streaking. I am in midst of trying Pro Optics from Adorama and all reviews seem postiive and low cost.

Best of Luck!
Thanks a lot