Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-19-2014, 05:12 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K-50 wr?

When they say the K-50 is weather (water?) resistant, just HOW resistant do they mean? Should I to be concerned in a driving rainstorm? A drizzle? Moderate rain? Never having owned a weather resistant camera, I'm at a loss as to how far I can take it.

12-19-2014, 05:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Don't take it under a sink, waterfall, hose, or any other directed pressure stream and you should be fine. Pay attention to your lens and keep the rear seal clean when mounting on the camera and the system should handle rain fine.

Good practice includes keeping water from remaining on the system after you come in under cover, and to minimize zooming while in rain.
12-19-2014, 05:27 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Don't take it under a sink, waterfall, hose, or any other directed pressure stream and you should be fine. Pay attention to your lens and keep the rear seal clean when mounting on the camera and the system should handle rain fine.

Good practice includes keeping water from remaining on the system after you come in under cover, and to minimize zooming while in rain.
What he said
12-19-2014, 05:30 AM   #4
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

What JinDesu said. I have been out in the rain with both the K-5 and K-3 for a few hours at a time. I try not to leave it exposed unnecessarily - that is, I keep it under cover when not in use of I can. I also wipe off the water from time to time, and more thoroughly when I get back indoors.

12-19-2014, 05:32 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would add that unless you have a WR lens attatched, it is not WR.
12-19-2014, 05:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
I would add that unless you have a WR lens attatched, it is not WR.

Understood. At present, I have no WR lens.... but that will be rectified soon. I bought the K-50, "body only." Love it, by the way. Quite a step up from my K2000, in itself a great camera that served me well for a couple of years.
12-19-2014, 07:35 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Veteran Member

I've told this story before but it stands repeating. I was at a launch at Kennedy a couple years ago and the weather turned on us. Everyone else in the viewing area except two pros and I ran for cover. One of the pros, trying to be a nice guy, suggested that with my non-FF camera I ought to head for cover too. I explained that my K-5 was WR and he started to lecture me about if it weren't a pro camera it couldn't be. At that point the other pro leaned over and said "He's shooting Pentax" whereupon the discussion changed .

12-19-2014, 07:35 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I've told this story before but it stands repeating. I was at a launch at Kennedy a couple years ago and the weather turned on us. Everyone else in the viewing area except two pros and I ran for cover. One of the pros, trying to be a nice guy, suggested that with my non-FF camera I ought to head for cover too. I explained that my K-5 was WR and he started to lecture me about if it weren't a pro camera it couldn't be. At that point the other pro leaned over and sadi "He's shooting Pentax" whereupon the discussion changed .
Nice!
12-19-2014, 08:57 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
12-19-2014, 09:24 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I've told this story before but it stands repeating. I was at a launch at Kennedy a couple years ago and the weather turned on us. Everyone else in the viewing area except two pros and I ran for cover. One of the pros, trying to be a nice guy, suggested that with my non-FF camera I ought to head for cover too. I explained that my K-5 was WR and he started to lecture me about if it weren't a pro camera it couldn't be. At that point the other pro leaned over and said "He's shooting Pentax" whereupon the discussion changed .
Awesome story!
12-19-2014, 11:15 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I wonder if that meant "give it up, he's clueless" in canikon-speek, or if they both knew Pentax cameras tended to be WR?
12-19-2014, 11:22 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
I wonder if that meant "give it up, he's clueless" in canikon-speek, or if they both knew Pentax cameras tended to be WR?
Probably the former .
12-19-2014, 11:39 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Cynical much? No, it meant that they then asked me all about the system, commented on how small and solid it was, and were generally like most real pros - photographers first, not fanboys.
12-19-2014, 11:45 AM   #14
Veteran Member

they then asked me all about the system, commented on how small and solid it was, and were generally like most real pros - photographers first, not fanboys.
Always promising. At risk of sounding like a fanboy myself, I'm still blown away by the quality feel of my K-5IIs every time I pick it up. That unyielding, cold, metallic feel beats any other DSLR I've held.
12-19-2014, 11:50 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bsamcash Quote
Always promising. At risk of sounding like a fanboy myself, I'm still blown away by the quality feel of my K-5IIs every time I pick it up. That unyielding, cold, metallic feel beats any other DSLR I've held.
I agree. At the family Christmas party last weekend I had the chance to handle both Nikon and Canon dslrs. PLASTIC to the max IMHO. My BIL was reservedly impressed by the K5iis feel. WhenI told him the cost and specs he was in genuine disbelief.