Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2014, 08:53 AM   #1
Forum Member




Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 87
[URGENT] is Firmware V1.02 necessary from V1 for k-50? Any major help?

Guys,

I am on the move and google has zero useful results.

Also, formatting the SD Card is just clicking settings > wrench 4 ?

It prompted erase all data I was afraid it will erase the camera data as well.

Thank you!

12-20-2014, 09:12 AM   #2
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,749
Not sure what you are asking? New firmware is not necessary but usually recommended.

Formatting the card does nothing to the camera but does remove anything on the card.
12-20-2014, 09:15 AM   #3
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
It is usually a good idea to upgrade - particularly when there are 2 versions between what you are using and what is current.
12-20-2014, 09:25 AM   #4
Site Supporter
ramseybuckeye's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Elida, Ohio
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,601
QuoteOriginally posted by Hexism Quote
Guys,

I am on the move and google has zero useful results.

Also, formatting the SD Card is just clicking settings > wrench 4 ?

It prompted erase all data I was afraid it will erase the camera data as well.

Thank you!
Formatting the card is done from Set up (wrench icon) menu 4. It only erases the card, it will not delete change your camera settings. Updating the firmware is a little more difficult, but you just have to pay attention. If you are unsure how, don't do it because it can render the camera inoperable. The firmware page on the Ricoh website tells you what the changes in each firmware version are, although there may be some non-listed fixes. The latest firmware version contains the updates from previous versions if you haven't done them, so only the latest is needed. It's very important to have a good fully charged battery and pay close attention to the process. If you don't do the firmware update your camera will still work as it does now.

12-20-2014, 12:53 PM   #5
Forum Member




Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 87
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Not sure what you are asking? New firmware is not necessary but usually recommended.

Formatting the card does nothing to the camera but does remove anything on the card.
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
It is usually a good idea to upgrade - particularly when there are 2 versions between what you are using and what is current.
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Formatting the card is done from Set up (wrench icon) menu 4. It only erases the card, it will not delete change your camera settings. Updating the firmware is a little more difficult, but you just have to pay attention. If you are unsure how, don't do it because it can render the camera inoperable. The firmware page on the Ricoh website tells you what the changes in each firmware version are, although there may be some non-listed fixes. The latest firmware version contains the updates from previous versions if you haven't done them, so only the latest is needed. It's very important to have a good fully charged battery and pay close attention to the process. If you don't do the firmware update your camera will still work as it does now.
Thanks!

I am just curious will these updates be useful?

Changes to V1.02

Correspond to HD PENTAX-DA AF REAR CONVERTER 1.4X AW.
Improved stability for general performance.
*Contents of [Version 1.01] will be also updated.

Changes to V1.01

Correspond to the AF assist light function by white LED light for auto flash unit [AF360FGZII] and [AF540FGZII].
Optimized contrast AF when using HD PENTAX-DA Limited series lenses.
Improved stability for general performance

How long does an update takes usually?

Latest K-50 Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING
12-20-2014, 12:57 PM   #6
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,749
As already mentioned the updates provide improvements to various things. As it says in your quote 1.02 provides functionality for the HD 1.4x teleconverter.

The update takes about 1 minute to complete. Read the instructions carefully and make sure the battery is fully charged.
12-20-2014, 01:06 PM   #7
Forum Member




Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 87
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
As already mentioned the updates provide improvements to various things. As it says in your quote 1.02 provides functionality for the HD 1.4x teleconverter.

The update takes about 1 minute to complete. Read the instructions carefully and make sure the battery is fully charged.
I am only using the kit lens DA-L 18-55mm WR

So the update will not be helping me right?
12-20-2014, 01:13 PM   #8
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,749
Generally it is assumed Ricoh takes the opportunity to include small fixes or adjustments even though they only get mentioned as 'stability improvements".

So nothing critical do the update when you get time or not. Probably many users never bother.

12-20-2014, 01:44 PM   #9
Forum Member




Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 87
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Generally it is assumed Ricoh takes the opportunity to include small fixes or adjustments even though they only get mentioned as 'stability improvements".

So nothing critical do the update when you get time or not. Probably many users never bother.
ThanksI I guess I won't do it until Im back from my trip.

Have a good day Jatrax!
12-20-2014, 08:51 PM   #10
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,749
That's a plan no need to rush.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
data, k-30, k-50, pentax k30, pentax k50
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K100d Firmware v1.02 snd SDHC Card whistlebird7 Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 2 06-27-2014 06:03 PM
pentax releases firmware v1.02 for k-3 koper Pentax News and Rumors 7 03-02-2014 01:25 PM
K-01 Firmware update - V1.02 Docrwm Pentax K-01 42 05-04-2013 06:04 AM
K-5 II & IIs Firmware Updates v1.02 Docrwm Pentax K-5 28 02-25-2013 04:58 AM
New firmware: v1.13 for K-5/645D, v.1.12 for K-7/K-r, v1.03 for K-x Adam Pentax News and Rumors 71 05-15-2012 01:42 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:28 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top