Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2014, 08:53 AM   #1
Forum Member

[URGENT] is Firmware V1.02 necessary from V1 for k-50? Any major help?

Guys,

I am on the move and google has zero useful results.

Also, formatting the SD Card is just clicking settings > wrench 4 ?

It prompted erase all data I was afraid it will erase the camera data as well.

Thank you!

12-20-2014, 09:12 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not sure what you are asking? New firmware is not necessary but usually recommended.

Formatting the card does nothing to the camera but does remove anything on the card.
12-20-2014, 09:15 AM   #3
Veteran Member

It is usually a good idea to upgrade - particularly when there are 2 versions between what you are using and what is current.
12-20-2014, 09:25 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Hexism Quote
Guys,

I am on the move and google has zero useful results.

Also, formatting the SD Card is just clicking settings > wrench 4 ?

It prompted erase all data I was afraid it will erase the camera data as well.

Thank you!
Formatting the card is done from Set up (wrench icon) menu 4. It only erases the card, it will not delete change your camera settings. Updating the firmware is a little more difficult, but you just have to pay attention. If you are unsure how, don't do it because it can render the camera inoperable. The firmware page on the Ricoh website tells you what the changes in each firmware version are, although there may be some non-listed fixes. The latest firmware version contains the updates from previous versions if you haven't done them, so only the latest is needed. It's very important to have a good fully charged battery and pay close attention to the process. If you don't do the firmware update your camera will still work as it does now.

12-20-2014, 12:53 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Not sure what you are asking? New firmware is not necessary but usually recommended.

Formatting the card does nothing to the camera but does remove anything on the card.
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
It is usually a good idea to upgrade - particularly when there are 2 versions between what you are using and what is current.
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Formatting the card is done from Set up (wrench icon) menu 4. It only erases the card, it will not delete change your camera settings. Updating the firmware is a little more difficult, but you just have to pay attention. If you are unsure how, don't do it because it can render the camera inoperable. The firmware page on the Ricoh website tells you what the changes in each firmware version are, although there may be some non-listed fixes. The latest firmware version contains the updates from previous versions if you haven't done them, so only the latest is needed. It's very important to have a good fully charged battery and pay close attention to the process. If you don't do the firmware update your camera will still work as it does now.
Thanks!

I am just curious will these updates be useful?

Changes to V1.02

Correspond to HD PENTAX-DA AF REAR CONVERTER 1.4X AW.
Improved stability for general performance.
*Contents of [Version 1.01] will be also updated.

Changes to V1.01

Correspond to the AF assist light function by white LED light for auto flash unit [AF360FGZII] and [AF540FGZII].
Optimized contrast AF when using HD PENTAX-DA Limited series lenses.
Improved stability for general performance

How long does an update takes usually?

Latest K-50 Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING
12-20-2014, 12:57 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As already mentioned the updates provide improvements to various things. As it says in your quote 1.02 provides functionality for the HD 1.4x teleconverter.

The update takes about 1 minute to complete. Read the instructions carefully and make sure the battery is fully charged.
12-20-2014, 01:06 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
As already mentioned the updates provide improvements to various things. As it says in your quote 1.02 provides functionality for the HD 1.4x teleconverter.

The update takes about 1 minute to complete. Read the instructions carefully and make sure the battery is fully charged.
I am only using the kit lens DA-L 18-55mm WR

So the update will not be helping me right?

12-20-2014, 01:13 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Generally it is assumed Ricoh takes the opportunity to include small fixes or adjustments even though they only get mentioned as 'stability improvements".

So nothing critical do the update when you get time or not. Probably many users never bother.
12-20-2014, 01:44 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Generally it is assumed Ricoh takes the opportunity to include small fixes or adjustments even though they only get mentioned as 'stability improvements".

So nothing critical do the update when you get time or not. Probably many users never bother.
ThanksI I guess I won't do it until Im back from my trip.

Have a good day Jatrax!
12-20-2014, 08:51 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's a plan no need to rush.