Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2014, 05:37 AM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote
This is what I'm thinking. Perhaps it's a firmware thing with the K30 that has been fixed in the K50. Maybe a firmware upgrade will solve it.
Or maybe just a different battery. The battery on constant drain may be signally low voltage for the purposes of sensor cleaning but still be high enough for normal shooting. Or try the AC adapter. Try taking a "B" exposure for as long as it takes normally for the mirror up cleaning "time out". The light flashing faster is a low battery indicator. I've found the charge indicator on most cameras to be next to useless.

When my camera auto-shuts-off due to low battery I can turn it back on and take maybe 5 more exposures before it shuts off again. I can repeat this several times before there actually isn't enough juice to take any more shots.

12-22-2014, 07:14 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery
My K30 with firmware 1.05 works in the same way.
When I select Mirror Up, the frontal LED starts to blink slowly. After about a minute camera also starts to beep and LED blinks frequently. I've never tried to wait untill the mirror closes, and I don't know how long it will blink/beep.

Anyway, when I need to clean the sensor I prefer switching the camera into LiveView, so nothing distracts me.

Last edited by ABel; 12-22-2014 at 07:24 AM.
12-22-2014, 08:32 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I actually appreciate the blinking light, as it gives me a warning when to get out, before the mirror comes down.

I've cleaned my K-30 numerous times, if the battery is in order and fully charged, it shouldn't be a problem.

I normally have it open for not more than 30 sec at a time..... keeping swab ready, removing lens, activating mirror up, turn around, swab both ways, switch off replace lens and go and check outside with a shot of the sky to see if I've got it clean enough. If you need to have it open longer than that, the chance of more dust entering the camera while you're cleaning it, is probably higher....

Lately I don't even check it at f22 any more, only f16, as I never shoot at more than f10, so if I see nothing at f16, why bother cleaning it
12-22-2014, 09:17 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
I actually appreciate the blinking light, as it gives me a warning when to get out, before the mirror comes down.

I've cleaned my K-30 numerous times, if the battery is in order and fully charged, it shouldn't be a problem.

I normally have it open for not more than 30 sec at a time..... keeping swab ready, removing lens, activating mirror up, turn around, swab both ways, switch off replace lens and go and check outside with a shot of the sky to see if I've got it clean enough. If you need to have it open longer than that, the chance of more dust entering the camera while you're cleaning it, is probably higher....

Lately I don't even check it at f22 any more, only f16, as I never shoot at more than f10, so if I see nothing at f16, why bother cleaning it
I'm doint it the same way but with lollipop: It hasn't closed when I cleaned it.

12-22-2014, 11:59 AM   #20

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I think the key word here is AC adapter, maybe when it is on constant power source it behaves differently, because each time I had to clean it I was on a battery, since I don;t have any other power source to attach to it,
The timer indicator is a good thing, but at the same time it makes the one be very cautious and perform the cleaning in less detail manner, but today I just tried to be relaxed and took my time while cleaning the sensor.

I think I skipped the last firmware upgrade since it only offered updates related to handling HD lenses, as of yet I am with vintage manual lenses only so no point in the upgrade, unless Ricoh forgot to mention some minor fixes like sensor cleaning mode updates etc
12-23-2014, 03:47 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote
This is what I'm thinking. Perhaps it's a firmware thing with the K30 that has been fixed in the K50. Maybe a firmware upgrade will solve it.

(for the record I'm still on the ORIGINAL firmware, around 40,000 clicks and still going strong)
Earl, do you realise that AF performance in live view - especially in low light - is markedly improved with the newer firmware versions?

While I understand possible misgivings, I'm not aware of anyone who feels that K-30 firmware upgrades have in any way degraded any camera function.
12-24-2014, 01:02 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I just tried mirror up on my K-30 which is on the latest firmware 1.06. The battery was showing full throughout and long after. After about 4 minutes, the slow blinking speeds up and there's beeping for perhaps 5sec bursts, this happens a few times over the next minute and then it runs fast constantly but the mirror stays up throughout. I gave up at 6 minutes as there's no way I would ever have my sensor exposed that long as it defeats the whole purpose. The beeping and faster blinking is obviously just a reminder that you're in cleaning mode. I've never noticed this before because I only clean perhaps once or twice a year and it takes 30 seconds.

12-24-2014, 02:31 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
Earl, do you realise that AF performance in live view - especially in low light - is markedly improved with the newer firmware versions?

While I understand possible misgivings, I'm not aware of anyone who feels that K-30 firmware upgrades have in any way degraded any camera function.
Yea, upgrading firmware is probably a safe and overall better play. Honestly, I'm just being a lazy bum about it all.

AF live view in low light isn't compelling enough for me to go through the motions for an upgrade, since I hardly use that function anyways.