Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2014, 08:00 PM - 1 Like   #16
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by dakight Quote
It never hurts to have a second body, just in case.
Some people take that approach to relationships too.

12-23-2014, 03:08 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pixxie Quote

Be sure that's the right one. There are a couple of versions of the 18-55mm lens and they use different hoods. The "RBC" hood fits the newest incarnation of that lens. The older version uses the "RBA" hood. Also, it seems to me that the inside should be flat black to quell reflections. Maybe it doesn't matter; I don't know.
12-23-2014, 07:20 AM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Be sure that's the right one. There are a couple of versions of the 18-55mm lens and they use different hoods. The "RBC" hood fits the newest incarnation of that lens. The older version uses the "RBA" hood. Also, it seems to me that the inside should be flat black to quell reflections. Maybe it doesn't matter; I don't know.
Quite right, exterior white = cool but interior white = not cool.
12-23-2014, 07:33 AM - 1 Like   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
I just don't understand why kit lenses don't come with hoods...

12-23-2014, 07:39 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I just don't understand why kit lenses don't come with hoods...
Cost. Also the perception by some is that the average consumer of mid to entry level dSLRs won't miss the hood.
12-23-2014, 10:35 AM   #21
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Cost. Also the perception by some is that the average consumer of mid to entry level dSLRs won't miss the hood.
Hmmm. The kit lens with my K100D in 2006 or 2007 came with a hood. Did I get lucky?
12-23-2014, 11:03 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kriss Quote
Hmmm. The kit lens with my K100D in 2006 or 2007 came with a hood. Did I get lucky?
All I know is that as of 2010 kit lenses (18-55, 50-200, & 55-300) did not come with hoods. I remember one of my first posts here when I got my K-x where a forum member took me to task for buying a cheap Chinese knockoff hood As if the plastic hoods with "Pentax" on them where somehow sacred or something. Anyway, no the basic kit lenses ship without a hood.

12-23-2014, 12:39 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I bought 3rd party hoods for mine and they are identical as far as I can tell to the genuine Pentax hoods except for the price; $6 vs $30. So, what's in a name?.
12-23-2014, 12:46 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I bought 3rd party hoods for mine and they are identical as far as I can tell to the genuine Pentax hoods except for the price; $6 vs $30. So, what's in a name?.
Exactly.
12-23-2014, 02:52 PM   #25

Hood? Hmmm. I bough a Promaster (Tamron) AF 80-210 4.5-5.6.... really a great zoom for the price. Anyways it came with a matching "Promaster" branded hood. Yesterday I got to thinking, hey this is a 52mm cap just like my 18-55 WR. I wonder........

and behold.... a perfect fit!

And it also can comfortably reverse fit just fine...

Here it is, $15 shipped:

Promaster 52mm lens hood - EBay.com

As for that Pentax 50-200mm... I can't seem to find it in red Then again I'm just looking in EBay because I don't know where else I might find one.
12-23-2014, 02:57 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Suleeto Quote
Hood? Hmmm. I bough a Promaster (Tamron) AF 80-210 4.5-5.6.... really a great zoom for the price. Anyways it came with a matching "Promaster" branded hood. Yesterday I got to thinking, hey this is a 52mm cap just like my 18-55 WR. I wonder........
and behold.... a perfect fit!
And it also can comfortably reverse fit just fine...

Here it is, $15 shipped:

Promaster 52mm lens hood - EBay.com

As for that Pentax 50-200mm... I can't seem to find it in red Then again I'm just looking in EBay because I don't know where else I might find one.
Have you tried shots at widest focal length? Seems a bit long for an 18mm lens.
12-23-2014, 03:09 PM   #27

LOL yeah, at just under 30mm it starts to go "Looney Toons" on you at the corners. At 18mm, it's just a bit. A hood even a third less this height would be fine.

So I just bought this shorter version for 11 bux shipped and I think it will fit the bill nicely. Regardless, I don't usually shoot lower than 30mm-ish with the WR kit anyways, but pairing this second hood to it makes more sense.

My point is that grabbing a cheap Promaster branded hood is an easy way to rectify the missing hood issue for the kit lenses. I've confirmed they fit.
12-23-2014, 05:17 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Suleeto Quote
LOL yeah, at just under 30mm it starts to go "Looney Toons" on you at the corners. At 18mm, it's just a bit. A hood even a third less this height would be fine.

So I just bought this shorter version for 11 bux shipped and I think it will fit the bill nicely. Regardless, I don't usually shoot lower than 30mm-ish with the WR kit anyways, but pairing this second hood to it makes more sense.

My point is that grabbing a cheap Promaster branded hood is an easy way to rectify the missing hood issue for the kit lenses. I've confirmed they fit.
Gotcha. Always goid to know your equipment well.
12-27-2014, 12:04 PM   #29
Forum Member

Not sure a white lens hood would work as well as black since it's supposed to reduce light around the focal range (but you could spraypaint the INSIDE of the hood black!) Anyway, here's my thoughts from when I upgraded from K-x to a K-30: Pentax K-30 vs K-x: Comparison and First Impressions
12-27-2014, 12:06 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ha, no I work in an eye dr's office as a dispensing optician. My husband apparently managed to find this on Adorama. I had the other lenses and the white strap from my storm trooper k-x. I still need to get a soft case, and lens hood, as well as am looking at the aa battery holster. I am excited to get to know this little lady. Now to decide if I am going to keep or sell my k-x... thoughts on that?
You'd be lucky to get $175-200 for the K-x now even with the kit lens. They're running VERY cheap these days unless it's some really scarce color like the pink. Keep it as a backup. You might as well.