Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2014, 08:23 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K-50 low light will not fire a shot?

Okay so i'm new to the k-50 and everyone raves about low light performance but in auto mode it will not shoot a picture. My fiancee tried to take pictures of the kids decorating the tree in the living room with a fair amount of light 2 table lamps and the tree light wouldn't fire. I grabbed it and got it to fire but very long shutter speed. Switched to manual mode set it up good pictures. Then she tried again last night auto with only lighting being candle lights on birthday cake wouldn't shoot she grabbed the old P&S and it took pictures no problem. What gives if you ask me my k-50 is horrible in low light. She was using kit 18-55 wr. I told her to order a 50 mm prime and it will be fine so she ordered it for me when it comes in we shall see. Any ideas to improve performance I can even post a picture of how bad it is because it won't even take one.

12-22-2014, 08:48 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What are the settings you are using? I suspect that your ISO is too low. What is the upper limit set on auto ISO?
12-22-2014, 08:51 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is it set to focus priority? If it is, try shutter priority so that it fires when you press the shutter rather than waiting for focus.
12-22-2014, 08:54 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I bet the pop up flash indicator is flashing in the viewfinder asking you to raise the flash before it can take the picture in auto mode. The best thing to do is stay away from auto mode and learn the relationships between aperture, shutter speed, and iso and then start using other modes.

12-22-2014, 09:13 AM   #5

Original Poster
This is in full auto mode. ISO is set up for full range.

Can this be an option in auto mode?

I shoot in mostly manual so I set it up how i want. Like i was saying it is when ever my fiancee uses it she complains that her p&s is better because it always takes the picture I try to say nicely if you want to use better equipment you have to learn to use it. But unless i can get it to work like a P&S she has no interest in learning I would think that green mode would be at least as good as a P&S but that's not the case my K-x did much better than the K-50. I really want to get her involved to assist with LBA.LOL
12-22-2014, 09:23 AM   #6

Do you have the AF.S setting (item 12 in the menu) on 1? If so, the camera shutter won't fire unless focus has been achieved. If set to 2, it will fire regardless of whether focus has been achieved.
12-22-2014, 11:02 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by T Evergreen Quote
Do you have the AF.S setting (item 12 in the menu) on 1? If so, the camera shutter won't fire unless focus has been achieved. If set to 2, it will fire regardless of whether focus has been achieved.
I need to check that thank you I think that will help.

12-22-2014, 02:45 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
I bet the pop up flash indicator is flashing in the viewfinder asking you to raise the flash before it can take the picture in auto mode. The best thing to do is stay away from auto mode and learn the relationships between aperture, shutter speed, and iso and then start using other modes.
+1

Yes, in the green AUTO mode for most DSLRs the shutter will not fire in lowlight, my Pentax K50, Canon 50D, and Canon Rebels behave the same way. Best to go manual control which is one of the great features of owning a DSLR. Of course an option some people see it as too much work, such as my own wife - iPad is her camera...
12-22-2014, 03:54 PM   #9

Original Poster
That worked the pictures are still in focus but will shoot in total darkness. That should be added to the k-50 basic set up
12-24-2014, 01:48 AM   #10

Thank you very much. I've been trying to figure this out too, but couldn't get it to work until your post.