Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2014, 09:28 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K-30 Won't Power-up With Eneloops.

Inserted with re-charged batteries and the LCD screen turned different colors while changing the date/time, etc. The camera works fine with the Li-On.

12-25-2014, 09:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I find that with the AA adapter, sometimes the battery connection isn't as solid as with the regular battery, so when I jiggle the camera around it intermittently loses power. Perhaps that's the cause of it?
12-26-2014, 01:53 AM   #3

Have you tried setting the battery type in the setup menu?
12-26-2014, 08:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have a cheap Chinese knock-off AA adapter and it was a little finicky. The battery tabs aren't springy enough and two of my batteries aren't held in. I have to bend the negative terminal tab upward with a screw driver. After that the battery and terminal made better contact and it's been working like a champ. I notice that the battery levels are not always properly reported. The battery icon can go from full to empty in a few minutes. My K-30 can still fire off a good day's worth of shots with the battery icon at empty. Maybe the batteries provide enough current but too low of a voltage? I don't know. It works.

12-26-2014, 12:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Have you tried setting the battery type in the setup menu?
It's set to "Auto Detect".
12-26-2014, 12:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote
I find that with the AA adapter, sometimes the battery connection isn't as solid as with the regular battery, so when I jiggle the camera around it intermittently loses power. Perhaps that's the cause of it?
There are 10 connections in series, all it takes is one or more to not connect properly at the high burst current a DSLR can take and not enough voltage gets through for the camera to work properly. A tiny drop of protective switch cleaner on each contact can work wonders.
12-26-2014, 12:32 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
It's set to "Auto Detect".
It may not be auto detecting properly. Try setting it to NiMH.

02-08-2015, 09:53 PM   #8
Pentaxian

have the cheapie 'aa' adapter and it does not like my duracel rechargeables unless fresh out of the charger any time after that I get 'battery depleted'......they are a few years old and are used by numerous gadgets........but if I pop in some cheap alkaline they work fine.....
02-08-2015, 10:04 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
NiMH batteries have a slightly lower inherent voltage. I suspect if you are inserting rechargeables straight from a recharging cycle they are temporarily sitting at a higher voltage and confusing the battery autodetect as to what battery type they are. Once out of the charger for a while, battery voltage settles down but by now the autodetect is confused and thinks the voltage drops equates to a flattening battery. Suggest you take camera off autodetect and set it to NiMH.
02-09-2015, 08:21 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
NiMH batteries have a slightly lower inherent voltage. I suspect if you are inserting rechargeables straight from a recharging cycle they are temporarily sitting at a higher voltage and confusing the battery autodetect as to what battery type they are. Once out of the charger for a while, battery voltage settles down but by now the autodetect is confused and thinks the voltage drops equates to a flattening battery. Suggest you take camera off autodetect and set it to NiMH.
I'll try that.

Thanks.