Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2015, 06:46 PM   #16

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
It sounds like Lonewolf does... Lonewolf I assume you use hard shells not plastic films...?

I can't wait for my larger strap to come in the mail I may get a hand strap, too. Honestly, I don't mind the original Pentax strap. If I end up liking the neck strap, I'll switch back and just use this newer longer one as the strap for my smaller bag.

01-03-2015, 08:48 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Straps are a personal preference,but never using one is risky. Myself, I donor like neck straps as they have caused pain. I use a Black Rapid strap because it distributes the weight much better and has the camera ready in a better position to use. However I often drive with camera ready to shoot, I leave the strap off in the car because it is too easy to grab the camera quickly and catch the strap on something. I may jump out of the car for a few minutes without the strap, but anymore than that I want it secured.

Sorry you are too late for the extended warranty from Pentax, but there are other options. I received a free "Leaf" warranty with a lens I bought from Adorama, no idea of the normal retail cost. I also have a rider for all of my equipment with my homeowners insurance. When I add or subtract equipment I send them a new inventory.

I had a screen protector on my K20D, and bought one when I got a K-30, used it for about a year and took it off. I can't say it's a bad or good thing, but if you worry about the screen it is piece of mind.

I recommend keeping your equipment clean by keeping it covered when not in use, and wiping it down after use. All of my lenses have their own cases for storage and transport and I have extra rear lens caps.
01-03-2015, 01:47 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by Suleeto Quote
It sounds like Lonewolf does... Lonewolf I assume you use hard shells not plastic films...?
Yes, I use hard protectors. My preference is the GGS DC LCD Screen Protector, made of 0.5mm ultra thin optical glass with 90% optical transmission. when I can get one the right size. The design of the K5ll Screen and Surround however meant I had to use another brand.

If you decide to go down the hard protector route, then there are threads on the subject in other forums, giving pointers to others preferred choices, which may be more easily available to you, depending where you live. Some else may be able to help point you to them.
01-04-2015, 12:48 AM   #19

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I'm in the United States, which most Ebay vendors make a point to be able to ship to. I think I will go with what you use.

01-09-2015, 07:59 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Here is the Ricoh/Pentax extended warranty:
Pentax 2-Year Extended Warranty for Pentax and Ricoh 85716 B&H

2 extra years for $20 is a steal compared to many other brands. This warranty can be added within 30 days of the original purchase.
Can this be purchase/used for a camera that was not bought through B&H?
01-09-2015, 08:59 PM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Equus17 Quote
Can this be purchase/used for a camera that was not bought through B&H?
Yes. In any case, note that the camera, for which the warranty is bought, must have been bought from an authorized Pentax retailer to begin with. There is a list somewhere on the Ricoh Imaging USA site. The list of authorized retailers is pretty broad.

---------- Post added 01-09-15 at 11:08 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Here is the Ricoh/Pentax extended warranty:
Pentax 2-Year Extended Warranty for Pentax and Ricoh 85716 B&H

2 extra years for $20 is a steal compared to many other brands. This warranty can be added within 30 days of the original purchase.
Hey, I just noticed that Ricoh has just loosened the 30-day window, and it's now a two month window! A much friendlier policy IMO. From the Ricoh Imaging USA site:
QuoteQuote:
The extended warranty set forth below is provided by Ricoh Imaging Corporation ("Ricoh") for products originally distributed in the United States by Ricoh Imaging Corporation ... and must be purchased within two (2) months of original purchase.

Last edited by Tanzer; 01-09-2015 at 09:12 PM.
01-30-2015, 06:06 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I purchased my k30 from the marketplace here on PF. So happy with it but regarding hard protectors, there was one installed when I received it. Being excited to go shooting in the rain I went out on a light misting day to give it a go. Came back inside and during wipedown I see that a few drops had crept in under the edge of the protector and I wasn't able to wick the water out. So I removed it and have decided I'd rather take chances with a few scratches over water spots in the display!